Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals - Will United do the same as Delta ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals - Will United do the same as Delta ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:07 am

Wink

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
If United will no longer allow my emotional support hedgehog, I'm going to have to find another airline.

(Yes, this is my kids' hedgehog. And, no, I would never claim her to be an emotional support animal nor bring her on any airline.)

I wonder if the TSA could ban it as a weapon.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Lowly Gold here, villox, (started with UA again in December '17 after an abysmal previous year with AA) but I interpreted the pet policy to reduce the number of bags one could bring onboard. The UA baggage policy is written in terms of singular, e.g. a personal item and a carryon item. Since the pet policy refers to the singular carryon item, logic would require that the singular personal item was the pet carryon. All travel with the dog was in F as well, and probably could have boarded with extra luggage, but I counsel clients that its good practice to color within the lines and it would be hypocritical for me to disregard that advice. Karma and all...
I found the official policy. You’re allowed the pet carrier, carry-on, AND personal item.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eCarry-On.aspx

“You're also allowed to bring the following items on board, in addition to your one bag and one personal item limit:
  • Jacket or umbrella
  • Reading material
  • Food or merchandise purchased in the airport
  • Assistive devices (collapsible wheelchair, cane, one set of crutches, medical devices needed to administer prescription medications, portable oxygen concentrator, etc.)
  • FAA-approved child restraint system or safety seat
  • Diaper bag
  • Breast pump
  • Pet carrier (service charges apply for in-cabin pets)”
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by villox

I found the official policy. You’re allowed the pet carrier, carry-on, AND personal item.

That is an area where UA is more generous than AA or DL, where the pet carrier counts as the carry-on item.

On American flights you can bring 1 kennel as your carry-on bag

DL:
  • Your pet counts as one piece of carry-on baggage. Pet in Cabin fees still apply.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
DL's policy is marketing fluff. You can get the "medical certification" for $10 online, and there's nothing to stop people from lying on the other questions.
Delta's animal training form says that misbehaving animals will be denied boarding or removed. This may deter some from bringing untrained animals, assuming Delta will enforce the policy. At least while the plane is parked at the gate
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

That is an area where UA is more generous than AA or DL, where the pet carrier counts as the carry-on item.

DL:
  • Your pet counts as one piece of carry-on baggage. Pet in Cabin fees still apply.
My one experience with my wife and me flying with our cats was that the pet carrier was in addition to our normal carry-on allowance (backpack and rollerboard) and no one gave us any trouble. I had a copy of United's carry-on allowances. That said, having fewer bags would have helped with maneuvering everything.

I also booked an EXTRASEAT with miles.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB

DL:
thanks! I got my Airlines mixed up. I believe UA is the only one which does permit standard onboard luggage allowance.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FreFly
Delta's animal training form says that misbehaving animals will be denied boarding or removed.
Any bets on whether Delta will ever actually remove someone who has already boarded? They'll be too scared of the PR hit. The animal (and owner) only need to behave for a few minutes.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Any bets on whether Delta will ever actually remove someone who has already boarded? They'll be too scared of the PR hit. The animal (and owner) only need to behave for a few minutes.
The dog mauling last year was pretty bad PR in its own right and provides a good context for them to remove animals and passengers as they feel is prudent. I really do suspect the estimated settlement amount for that incident (and others we haven't heard about) are a big driver behind the rule revisions and that employees will be empowered to follow the letter of those rules.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lancelot21
My one experience with my wife and me flying with our cats was that the pet carrier was in addition to our normal carry-on allowance (backpack and rollerboard) and no one gave us any trouble. I had a copy of United's carry-on allowances. That said, having fewer bags would have helped with maneuvering everything.

I also booked an EXTRASEAT with miles.
Did you put the cats in the EXTRASEAT 10 rows behind you?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I do think Delta is doing a bit of a long game and this is about creating a paper and electron trail that shifts liability from airline to the passenger with an alleged ESA the next time a pit bull mauling happens on a flight. Seems like they've had more serious incidents and general weirdness with ESAs than what United has been reporting (I haven't heard about United allowing an emotional support turkey on a flight) and their new policy has the feel of them trying to reduce their legal settlement costs when ESAs attack.
This is exactly what is going on. Not only do these forms set a pet owner up for punitive damages if he defrauded the airline to board the pet as an ESA and there is an attack, but they could also be used to bar the passenger from flying the airline in the future if the statements turn out to be false.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:10 am

DL:
I assisted a Veteran in relocating from Florida to Arizona with two cats, the AA agents also permitted a carry-on and the phone agent documented it in the record, even though AA's policy reads as above. Because I have done a lot of discrimination law cases, I felt the two cats were emotional support animals in cages. Because I was paying for the trip, I asked the Veteran to get a letter from the VA Hospital, which he did not do.

There have been quite a bit of dogs on my UA flights last year. On my last flight we took a two hour mechanical and the dog owners were freaking out. Fortunately they let us off the plane twice.

Fortunately I got allergy shot treatments many years ago, so I no longer run into a crisis when nearby animals, and always carry allergy medications if I start showing symptoms, so that can be a big problem for some if the dog is sitting near them.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: UA GS
What do all the policies help, if the UA crew does nothing to enforce it? On my EWR-TXL flight last week, there was a young Eastern European couple in 1AB. Complete with crying baby and a 100+ lbs dog. I was in 1D. The dog was all over the place. Mostly blocking the aisle, but sometimes visiting the galley, visiting my space, sitting on seat 1B. Absolutely not a trained service animal. The flight crew did absolutely nothing. I complained twice and answer was both times that they can do nothing.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
What do all the policies help, if the UA crew does nothing to enforce it? On my EWR-TXL flight last week, there was a young Eastern European couple in 1AB. Complete with crying baby and a 100+ lbs dog. I was in 1D. The dog was all over the place. Mostly blocking the aisle, but sometimes visiting the galley, visiting my space, sitting on seat 1B. Absolutely not a trained service animal. The flight crew did absolutely nothing. I complained twice and answer was both times that they can do nothing.
What was the crew's specific response to your request that it do something about the animal?

The way to make certain that policies are enforced is --- when it affects you --- to complain. On the spot.

With the new DL policy, if it is prior to the flight being closed, a clear complaint to crew is a good starting point. If you see a dog in the gate area which appears to be out of control, ask the GA whether it will be seated near you because you are concerned for your safety.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by Often1
... ask the GA whether it will be seated near you because you are concerned for your safety.
A GA more than likely will offer a concerned pax a seat on the next flight, because as of late they are not going to make waves, and they are definitely NOT going to start calling other people to the podium to ask them to change seats and sit by a dog, so a complainer doesn't have to. Perhaps I'm wrong, but if people were made aware, or it was published, that all one had to do was complain, it would be pandemonium at the podium, on nearly every flight!

It would be nice if a request to be moved could be done without a hassle. But then the seat you had for nearly a year goes to someone else
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by drowelf
I must say I really like the list of animals on Delta's site that they will not accept
  • Hedgehogs
  • Ferrets
  • Insects
  • Rodents
  • Snakes
  • Spiders
  • Sugar gliders
  • Reptiles
  • Amphibians
  • Goats
  • Non-household birds (farm poultry, waterfowl, game bird, & birds of prey)
  • Animals improperly cleaned and/or with a foul odor
  • Animals with tusks, horns or hooves
I wonder if this list was compiled from actual reports. I especially like that Goats are called out, as they would also fall under the general category of 'animals with hooves'.
So much for an ROUS.

No mention of marsupials? How about a platypus?
ContinentalFan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.