Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals - Will United do the same as Delta ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals - Will United do the same as Delta ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Their bellies are extremely soft and fluffy. Don't want to de-rail this thread; there's a pet photo thread in OMNI where she occasionally appears.

While the policy is all fine and dandy, and I hope United (and all other airlines) follow suit, do you know what the guy who finishes last in medical school is going to do? A nice business where he/she video conferences with the patient, patient tells the doctor that they need an emotional support animal on the plane, and the doctor fills out the form.
Maybe I'm changing my mind about this whole thing because that hedgehog pic makes me very happy and emotionally satisfied ; )
pseudoswede likes this.

Last edited by chavala; Jan 19, 2018 at 2:08 pm Reason: spell
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Often1
The major item missing from DL's new requirements is that the passenger provide medical documentation of treatment for a DSM-recognized condition. That means having a licensed professional conduct a diagnonstic assessment and written records of a recognized condition. Not that many people want those sort of records out there when they are not true.
Here is part of what's on the DL form required to be submitted 48 hours before for a flight with an ESA:
Attached Images  
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Slap the UA globe, swap out SkyMiles number for Mileage Plus Number, on that sheet of paper and get it out the UA check in kiosks! The fact that the form requires the medical professional's license number and information is brilliant. ^
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
United is too afraid of offending people with disabilities despite many letters/complaints about abuse of the policy. Once again, Delta makes the bold move and UAL may eventually gravitate to it once they figure out Delta is still profitable and higher ranking on all surveys.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by drowelf
I must say I really like the list of animals on Delta's site that they will not accept
  • Hedgehogs
  • Ferrets
  • Insects
  • Rodents
  • Snakes
  • Spiders
  • Sugar gliders
  • Reptiles
  • Amphibians
  • Goats
  • Non-household birds (farm poultry, waterfowl, game bird, & birds of prey)
  • Animals improperly cleaned and/or with a foul odor
  • Animals with tusks, horns or hooves
I wonder if this list was compiled from actual reports. I especially like that Goats are called out, as they would also fall under the general category of 'animals with hooves'.
On the other hand, arthropods, in particular scorpions, are not on the list.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Howste
Here is part of what's on the DL form required to be submitted 48 hours before for a flight with an ESA:
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Slap the UA globe, swap out SkyMiles number for Mileage Plus Number, on that sheet of paper and get it out the UA check in kiosks! The fact that the form requires the medical professional's license number and information is brilliant. ^
The current UA form basically has the same thing.

Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
As someone who travels not infrequently with my dog, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who has never made a peep in flight, and pays the $125 each way for him to travel, I say bravo to Delta! Honestly, despite paying the in cabin pet fee and losing a piece of carry on luggage as a result, you have more restrictions placed on you then someone who did not pay a fee. Given the airlines' desire to maximize fees, I'm really surprised this faux-therapy phenomenon hasn't been curtailed earlier. I can't wait to see the melt downs at the check in kiosks.

Please United, please adopt these "enhanced" documentation requirements!
Just want to address one point. You do not lose a carryon when you have an in cabin pet. The policy states:

”An in-cabin pet may be carried in addition to a carry-on bag and is subject to a $125 service charge each way.”
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
I have been fortunate enough to have never sat near a pet, so I seriously have to ask. I saw a full sized German Shepard board a flight to Denver the other day. At first I thought it was a crime dog, but sure enough it had the "service animal" sign on it. Are you telling me it sits in an actual seat?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Joe K.
I have been fortunate enough to have never sat near a pet....

...that you know of.

There's multiple ways an animal can be allowed on board. We'd have to probably be specific what animal we are referring to (in-cabin pet, service animal, emotional support animal).

I travelled with a pet cat with UA on EWR-PEK, and the again PEK-EWR a few years later. Both times she was tucked under the seat in front of me.
I am pretty sure most weren't aware of her, including the passengers nearby.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by narvik
...that you know of.

There's multiple ways an animal can be allowed on board. We'd have to probably be specific what animal we are referring to (in-cabin pet, service animal, emotional support animal).

I travelled with a pet cat with UA on EWR-PEK, and the again PEK-EWR a few years later. Both times she was tucked under the seat in front of me.
I am pretty sure most weren't aware of her, including the passengers nearby.
​​​​​​
True. But what about the German Shepard? . Assuming it gets its own seat, United expects some poor schmuck to sit next to that?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I have been fortunate enough to have never sat near a pet, so I seriously have to ask. I saw a full sized German Shepard board a flight to Denver the other day. At first I thought it was a crime dog, but sure enough it had the "service animal" sign on it. Are you telling me it sits in an actual seat?
True. But what about the German Shepard? . Assuming it gets its own seat, United expects some poor schmuck to sit next to that?
Animals do not get a seat and must stay at the feet of the passenger. The bulkheads in economy are good choice in many cases for an uncaged animal.

See links in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...g-pets-ua.html for more.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Are you telling me it sits in an actual seat?
No, probably partially under the seat in front of you if you are the seatmate of its companion human.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Animals do not get a seat and must stay at the feet of the passenger. The bulkheads in economy are good choice in many cases for an uncaged animal.

See links in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...g-pets-ua.html for more.
I've been asked to move from the bulkhead (row 7) several times for "Service Dog's" which were U.S. Army or other military. The beef isn't about these highly trained animals, but rather someone's pet that they want to take along for the ride, for free! As mentioned above, they are required/supposed to stay on the floor, but as of late many people need to have them on their laps, which isn't too cool for the person seated in the next seat.

...and from a prior experience SEA-SFO in f/c, many of the f/a's ARE NOT going to make them put them on the floor, even if objected to, which I did (right in front of the guy)!!! I lost!!!

Last edited by Two Bee; Jan 19, 2018 at 3:32 pm Reason: add a row #
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
As an interesting observation from reading the Delta Policy. It states that the Service Animals, is supposed to fit within the footprint of the passengers seat. Now most true 'Service Animals' and not emotional support animals, that I've seen tend to be of the larger dog variety, Retrievers, Shepherds, etc.. I doubt that these animals can really fit within the footprint of a single seat, even when curled up as tight as possible. I remember a few years ago when I was on a flight with one such animal. It was in the bulkhead row across from me and it easily took the floor space of the aisle and middle seat. Fortunately the middle was empty, so no passenger was inconvenienced.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
If United will no longer allow my emotional support hedgehog, I'm going to have to find another airline.

(Yes, this is my kids' hedgehog. And, no, I would never claim her to be an emotional support animal nor bring her on any airline.)
Cinnamon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.