Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals - Will United do the same as Delta ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals - Will United do the same as Delta ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by villox

Just want to address one point. You do not lose a carryon when you have an in cabin pet. The policy states:

”An in-cabin pet may be carried in addition to a carry-on bag and is subject to a $125 service charge each way.”
Sorry, you are correct, villox: the pet carrier counts as the "personal item", not the "carryon" item. Still, one bag down though. Fortunately when I'm taking the dog, I'll check luggage and hand carry him with a backpack.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
hopefully for once United will do MORE than Delta. This nonsense has to stop. We can only hope that UA takes DL's lead (once again!) and tries to at least match them ... hopefully more!
restlessinRNO and ThomasBrown like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Sorry, you are correct, villox: the pet carrier counts as the "personal item", not the "carryon" item. Still, one bag down though. Fortunately when I'm taking the dog, I'll check luggage and hand carry him with a backpack.
FWIW I traveled with my dog for the first time 2 weeks ago with a rollaboard, backpack, and pet carrier. I saw nothing in the policy that would have limited this. I was a GS in F so maybe that helped but YMMV.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by drowelf
As an interesting observation from reading the Delta Policy. It states that the Service Animals, is supposed to fit within the footprint of the passengers seat. Now most true 'Service Animals' and not emotional support animals, that I've seen tend to be of the larger dog variety, Retrievers, Shepherds, etc.. I doubt that these animals can really fit within the footprint of a single seat, even when curled up as tight as possible. I remember a few years ago when I was on a flight with one such animal. It was in the bulkhead row across from me and it easily took the floor space of the aisle and middle seat. Fortunately the middle was empty, so no passenger was inconvenienced.
Doesn't it also say that if the animal does NOT, that an extra seat must be purchased (ala Southwest COS policy - same price as original seat) ....not to allow the animal ON the seat...but to get a larger "footprint" of floor...
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:02 pm

I figured this was coming sooner after that passenger was attacked on a Delta flight last year, by a so called "emotional support" dog. For once, this is something I hope United runs and copies Delta with.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
Cinnamon!
LOL, I love that little thing. So cure!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Expect all the fraudsters with fake emotional support animals to fly United when Delta clamps down. It's early enough in 2018 to migrate to DL Skypesos from UA.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by villox

FWIW I traveled with my dog for the first time 2 weeks ago with a rollaboard, backpack, and pet carrier. I saw nothing in the policy that would have limited this. I was a GS in F so maybe that helped but YMMV.
Lowly Gold here, villox, (started with UA again in December '17 after an abysmal previous year with AA) but I interpreted the pet policy to reduce the number of bags one could bring onboard. The UA baggage policy is written in terms of singular, e.g. a personal item and a carryon item. Since the pet policy refers to the singular carryon item, logic would require that the singular personal item was the pet carryon. All travel with the dog was in F as well, and probably could have boarded with extra luggage, but I counsel clients that its good practice to color within the lines and it would be hypocritical for me to disregard that advice. Karma and all...
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
DL's policy is marketing fluff. You can get the "medical certification" for $10 online, and there's nothing to stop people from lying on the other questions.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
I must say I really like the list of animals on Delta's site that they will not accept
  • Hedgehogs
  • Ferrets
  • Insects
  • Rodents
  • Snakes
  • Spiders
  • Sugar gliders
  • Reptiles
  • Amphibians
  • Goats
  • Non-household birds (farm poultry, waterfowl, game bird, & birds of prey)
  • Animals improperly cleaned and/or with a foul odor
  • Animals with tusks, horns or hooves
I wonder if this list was compiled from actual reports. I especially like that Goats are called out, as they would also fall under the general category of 'animals with hooves'.
I was feeling pretty good about getting my therapy elephant thru until I got to the last line....damn, I am going be one very nervous flyer soon...
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by gene2632
I was feeling pretty good about getting my therapy elephant thru until I got to the last line....damn, I am going be one very nervous flyer soon...
That's a lot of EXTRASEATs
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
DL's policy is marketing fluff. You can get the "medical certification" for $10 online, and there's nothing to stop people from lying on the other questions.
I agree but maybe it will make some think twice.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I do think Delta is doing a bit of a long game and this is about creating a paper and electron trail that shifts liability from airline to the passenger with an alleged ESA the next time a pit bull mauling happens on a flight. Seems like they've had more serious incidents and general weirdness with ESAs than what United has been reporting (I haven't heard about United allowing an emotional support turkey on a flight) and their new policy has the feel of them trying to reduce their legal settlement costs when ESAs attack.
trooper and CHOPCHOP767 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mathprof
I agree but maybe it will make some think twice.
The passenger has to submit the documentation, which consists of three separate forms, 48 hours before the flight. That should really cut the numbers down.

This is one time I'm in favor of death by paperwork. If they could add in a voicemail tree component, that would be even better.
Miggles, trooper, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I wonder if this list was compiled from actual reports. I especially like that Goats are called out, as they would also fall under the general category of 'animals with hooves'.
I've never needed a goat, but I think I do now....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.