Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals - Will United do the same as Delta ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles

Delta introduces enhanced requirements for customers traveling with service or support animals effective March 1
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: Southwest ALP, United 2MM Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Definitely a good start.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
I wholeheartedly support this move. I am an animal lover but I think it is getting too far - allowing ducks (although I do think that duck was cute) and all sorts of untrained animals onboard like this. The need of just "one" should not outweigh the needs (safety, etc) of the many. Being politically correct on this issue should stop!

Basically - no papers, no boarding.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM
I support this and hope United introduces a similar policy.
pfpdx, Aussienarelle and altabello like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I think this is one policy where we're all going "PLEASE UNITED, COPY DELTA". lol
JNelson113, JonNYC, dls25 and 8 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
UNITED should -and probably will- most likely wait until Delta goes through the legal challenges it is going to likely face introducing this.
Someone has to be the first one to go through the motions.
altabello likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Please United, please ....
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by narvik
UNITED should -and probably will- most likely wait until Delta goes through the legal challenges it is going to likely face introducing this.
Seems to me like Delta has the law on its side, I don’t see where the challenges can come from?
Greg76248 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:02 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by escapefromphl

Seems to me like Delta has the law on its side, I don’t see where the challenges can come from?
Aside from any legitimate challenges, you do know there are whole law firms whose sleazy business is to create nuisance lawsuits against companies (especially small businesses), using any regulation out there (such as ADA), who bank on the companies not wanting to pay the cost of court and simply want to make a lawsuit for, say $25,000 just go away?
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by TA
Aside from any legitimate challenges, you do know there are whole law firms whose sleazy business is to create nuisance lawsuits against companies (especially small businesses), using any regulation out there (such as ADA), who bank on the companies not wanting to pay the cost of court and simply want to make a lawsuit for, say $25,000 just go away?
But is it fair to say the ACAA doesn't carry the kind of incentive that the ADA has for the law firms you mention?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
I've always been amazed airlines haven't cracked down on "emotional support animals" as a way for passengers to bring their pets on board for free. Glad Delta is finally calling BS and hope the other airlines do too. I paid for my puppy to come on board and so should everyone else.
FlyingNone, Billiken and altabello like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
After reviewing Delta's new(?) stand. I don't see where it actually prevents a DYKWIA from forcing the issue and boarding with their emotional support aardvark.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Anyone else get a laugh reading the press release? "Customers have attempted to fly with comfort turkeys, gliding possums known as sugar gliders, snakes, spiders and more."
FlyingNone, Xyzzy and princeville like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by JonasCLT
I've always been amazed airlines haven't cracked down on "emotional support animals" as a way for passengers to bring their pets on board for free. Glad Delta is finally calling BS and hope the other airlines do too. I paid for my puppy to come on board and so should everyone else.
I must say I really like the list of animals on Delta's site that they will not accept
  • Hedgehogs
  • Ferrets
  • Insects
  • Rodents
  • Snakes
  • Spiders
  • Sugar gliders
  • Reptiles
  • Amphibians
  • Goats
  • Non-household birds (farm poultry, waterfowl, game bird, & birds of prey)
  • Animals improperly cleaned and/or with a foul odor
  • Animals with tusks, horns or hooves
I wonder if this list was compiled from actual reports. I especially like that Goats are called out, as they would also fall under the general category of 'animals with hooves'.
altabello likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:40 am

yes please

there were 4 dogs on my last flight.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.