FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions -Free STBY for all, SDC for all elites (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1886554-ua-same-day-travel-change-sdc-fees-questions-free-stby-all-sdc-all-elites.html)

Tomasz Pa May 28, 2023 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by ffI (Post 35285924)
Sorry to ask a query I should know the answer to, but I have not been traveling UA much for a while.
I am still an Elite (Old Flex PQP got me here)

I am due to leave LHR on Friday at 8 AM (60k UA award no longer offered)
My plans have changed and I will have to get up way early at Stroud in Gloucestershire to make it to 8A flight

The current prices are 180k or more in C for same day later flights at noon and 4 pm. I cannot even get an economy ticket for 60k
So I do NOT want to change the award ticket now

Q1
Can I SDC to later flight - 12 noon on Thu for 12n flight on Fri and 4 pm Thu for 4pm flight on Fri?
Of course I know there may not be space but in general at +24h do they care about fare classes for saver awards or is it just a SDC ?
Q2
Is my updated UA app on my phone sufficient ? or do I need my laptop there?
I am trying to go light and not lug too much luggage in the wilds of the Cotswolds.
Q3
Is my best bet to change my trip plans and make it to near LHR the previous night?
Anyone with experience in schlepping to LHR from the western wilds please let me know

Thanks

Q1 yes fare class needs to be avilable which is highly unlikley on this route

WineCountryUA May 28, 2023 5:23 pm

.... Q1
Can I SDC to later flight - 12 noon on Thu for 12n flight on Fri and 4 pm Thu for 4pm flight on Fri?
Of course I know there may not be space but in general at +24h do they care about fare classes for saver awards or is it just a SDC ? ...

24 hour SDC changes are not possible. It will take two changes. And yes your fare classes is needed. Is it YN (60K deal) because that will likely be available

.... Q2
Is my updated UA app on my phone sufficient ? or do I need my laptop there?
I am trying to go light and not lug too much luggage in the wilds of the Cotswolds. ...

In general, if proficient with the app, it is just as useful as a laptop. There are some differences and from time to time one will show better availability. It can go either way.

Ivan Denisovich May 29, 2023 12:58 pm

Bad Experience with Standby

I was booked today on a United flight XXX to DEN

I was unexpectedly able to get to the airport earlier, so I decided to standby for an earlier departure.

I hurried to the airport and arrived at the gate 25 minutes prior to scheduled departure. At that time, the gate agent brusquely informed me that no one could be added to the standby list after T-30 minutes.

I was disappointed with the agent’s rudeness and with the lack of effort, especially since the flight was fully boarded and had empty seats available well before scheduled departure.

I have read standby terms and conditions at https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t-changes.html and found nothing referencing a 30 minute cutoff time.

Does this policy actually exists? If so, where is it documented?

WineCountryUA May 29, 2023 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ivan Denisovich (Post 35287835)

I was unexpectedly able to get to the airport earlier, so I decided to standby for an earlier departure.

I hurried to the airport and arrived at the gate 25 minutes prior to scheduled departure. At that time, the gate agent brusquely informed me that no one could be added to the standby list after T-30 minutes.

I was disappointed with the agent’s rudeness and with the lack of effort, especially since the flight was fully boarded and had empty seats available well before scheduled departure.

I have read standby terms and conditions at https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t-changes.html and found nothing referencing a 30 minute cutoff time.

30 minutes is the closing of the check-in process (for most domestic flights) and it has also been applied to standby signup. Some agents have been known to process standbys afterwards if the flight is wide open. But other agents will not if they have started process upgrades and standbys. Anyone not checked-in about T-30 is considered a no-show and is removed from the list.

unitedwildcat May 29, 2023 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ivan Denisovich (Post 35287835)

better to do it on the app for next time, unless for some reason it’s blocked for you

Repooc17 May 29, 2023 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat (Post 35287895)
better to do it on the app for next time, unless for some reason it’s blocked for you

Sometimes you don't see it in the app due to timing of your scheduled flight arrival and the desired connection. My inbound got into at IAH early, so I ran to the earlier connecting flight's gate (C to E), with well more than 30 minutes to spare, got a flat denial from the gate agent. "We are not processing standbys any more", and went back to chit-chat with his colleagues. The flight went out with a lot of seats empty, and I watched her maybe process a couple of more passengers until door closing.

:mad:

stayinalive May 31, 2023 10:41 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35282202)
I suspect it’s too late now, but for future reference, the best way to get onto the standby list, when there are no IRROPS, is to show up at the airport early and ask. I don’t believe that the app allows you to standby voluntarily in the non-IRROPS mode, as a general rule.

I ended up calling an agent and was told I had to go the airport to be added. So I went to the airport a bit early and the agent added me to the list. And I got on the flight. I guess I am curious what the purpose of "free standby" is when you can't add yourself. How does the system determine when someone can add themselves to the standby list? It shouldn't have taken an airport agent. And if one can't add to the "free standby list" as noted in the app, they should just remove that section. This was a case where it should have been pretty straightforward. Paid ticked on United operated metal, flights leaving within 90 minutes of each other, on the same day, attempt to add to standby list made within a few hours of the flights...

unitedwildcat May 31, 2023 10:45 am

Originally Posted by stayinalive (Post 35292813)
I ended up calling an agent and was told I had to go the airport to be added. So I went to the airport a bit early and the agent added me to the list. And I got on the flight. I guess I am curious what the purpose of "free standby" is when you can't add yourself. How does the system determine when someone can add themselves to the standby list? It shouldn't have taken an airport agent. And if one can't add to the "free standby list" as noted in the app, they should just remove that section. This was a case where it should have been pretty straightforward. Paid ticked on United operated metal, flights leaving within 90 minutes of each other, on the same day, attempt to add to standby list made within a few hours of the flights...

You can add yourself to the list on the app 24 hours before your flight (aka once you're able to check in) as long as you're on a nonstop itinerary. If you have an itinerary with multiple segments, you'll have to go to the airport to request being added to the standby list.

IAH-OIL-TRASH May 31, 2023 10:47 am

Originally Posted by stayinalive (Post 35292813)

UA doesn't want a bunch of bozos adding themselves to standby lists and not actually show up. Making you go to the airport shows commitment.

"I guess I am curious what the purpose of "free standby" is when you can't add yourself." What does one have to do with the other???? The purpose of free standby is to get a seat on a flight you haven't a reservation on.

stayinalive May 31, 2023 10:59 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 35292828)
UA doesn't want a bunch of bozos adding themselves to standby lists and not actually show up. Making you go to the airport shows commitment.

"I guess I am curious what the purpose of "free standby" is when you can't add yourself." What does one have to do with the other???? The purpose of free standby is to get a seat on a flight you haven't a reservation on.

I was referencing the "free standby" option on the app.....ie why have this section/claim to have this option when you can't use it.

Ivan Denisovich May 31, 2023 11:02 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 35292828)

A common use of standby for business travelers is taking an earlier flight home if a commitment changed or meeting canceled. I may be cutting it close getting to the airport through no moral failing of my own (apart from being a business traveler).

With Pre-check and long legs I can get curb to gate in 10 minutes at many, if not most, domestic airports.

But a phone agent can’t add me to the standby list, I can’t consistently do it in the app (connecting flights), and the GAs won’t do it after T-30 minutes. These factors significantly degrade the usefulness of free standby for me.

unitedwildcat May 31, 2023 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Ivan Denisovich (Post 35292868)
A common use of standby for business travelers is taking an earlier flight home if a commitment changed or meeting canceled. I may be cutting it close getting to the airport through no moral failing of my own (apart from being a business traveler).

With Pre-check and long legs I can get curb to gate in 10 minutes at many, if not most, domestic airports.

But a phone agent can’t add me to the standby list, I can’t consistently do it in the app (connecting flights), and the GAs won’t do it after T-30 minutes. These factors significantly degrade the usefulness of free standby for me.

Definitely a YMMV situation with the GAs. I'm not even sure how this happened, but TSA let me into the airport the day before since I had my boarding pass from OLCI. I just wandered by a gate and noticed it was going to the same airport and it was toward the end of boarding, so definitely after T-30. Went up and asked to be put on standby and the GA processed it for me then and there. Not at a hub though, so maybe you'll have more luck at an outstation where things seem more chill.

And yes -- biggest gripe about the app is the inability to standby for connecting flights. However, it's incredibly useful when you want to standby on a direct flight. I've used it to standby on flights leaving a day earlier but still within 24 hours, which can save you time from going back and forth with agents at check-in who don't understand UA's within 24 hours standby policies

ffI May 31, 2023 6:41 pm

I meant at T-20 on Thu if YN space is available, can I change to the 12 noon flight?
I can check in at T-24 on Thu at 8 AM but I will not know if space is available for SDC on the later flights
- by 4 PM on Thu I should know if there is any space for Friday 4pm and noon flights
The question is if I can do an SDC then on the app or if I have to call UA

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 35285971)
24 hour SDC changes are not possible. It will take two changes. And yes your fare classes is needed. Is it YN (60K deal) because that will likely be available

Glad to hear positive news, unless you meant NOT be available

WineCountryUA May 31, 2023 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by ffI (Post 35293939)
The question is if I can do an SDC then on the app or if I have to call UA ...

SDC can be done even if checked in.

.... Glad to hear positive news, unless you meant NOT be available

YN is last seat availability for elites, same inventory as Y, so should be available if any Y seat is.

fumje May 31, 2023 6:47 pm

I meant at T-20 on Thu if YN space is available, can I change to the 12 noon flight?
I can check in at T-24 on Thu at 8 AM but I will not know if space is available for SDC on the later flights
- by 4 PM on Thu I should know if there is any space for Friday 4pm and noon flights
The question is if I can do an SDC then on the app or if I have to call UA

Glad to hear positive news, unless you meant NOT be available

YN will likely be available. It is tied to Y so only closed if economy is sold out / oversold.

Once within 24 hours of your flight, you can change to any other flight within 24 hours that has your inventory available (until hidden restrictions kick in). Usually works fine to change net 24 hours subject to inventory. You can know if space is available from expert mode, but you can't change until within 24 hours of both old and new flight. The app can handle all of this.