FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions -Free STBY for all, SDC for all elites (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1886554-ua-same-day-travel-change-sdc-fees-questions-free-stby-all-sdc-all-elites.html)

yerffej201 Apr 19, 2023 3:56 pm

can you sdc if you book x on yvr sfo using air canada miles? or does it need to be ua plated ticket stock?

jsloan Apr 19, 2023 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201 (Post 35185124)
can you sdc if you book x on yvr sfo using air canada miles? or does it need to be ua plated ticket stock?

SDC requires UA ticket stock.

PushingTin May 2, 2023 9:43 pm

Changing CVG-DEN to CVG-ORD-longlayover-DEN?

On a business trip that has a flight in a few days from CVG-DEN. Mom has a health issue in Chicago (simple procedure) and I was wondering what I could do to have an extended lay over in ORD? Right now I have an afternoon/evening flight. Can I push the ORD-DEN leg to the next day (late evening preferably)? 48 hours? Is there a max? I'm guessing that I can change to CVG-ORD-DEN and since I only do carry on, just don't take the second leg and buy a ticket for when I want to fly back?

1K on a revenue ticket. L class.

fumje May 2, 2023 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by PushingTin (Post 35219899)
On a business trip that has a flight in a few days from CVG-DEN. Mom has a health issue in Chicago (simple procedure) and I was wondering what I could do to have an extended lay over in ORD? Right now I have an afternoon/evening flight. Can I push the ORD-DEN leg to the next day (late evening preferably)? 48 hours? Is there a max? I'm guessing that I can change to CVG-ORD-DEN and since I only do carry on, just don't take the second leg and buy a ticket for when I want to fly back?

1K on a revenue ticket. L class.

Assuming your booked routing is CVG-ORD-DEN: any time between boarding CVG-ORD and scheduled departure ORD-DEN, you can look for SDC to later ORD-DEN. No guarantee it's offered. If you get it, you can keep checking and changing based on whatever inventory is available. There isn't a stated max for changing, but you may get cut off or run out of inventory before 48h.

If the original routing CVG-DEN or CVG-anything else-DEN, then you obviously need SDC to offer CVG-ORD-DEN, then pursue the above.

Depending on how much you want to stop at ORD, it could be worth rebooking (with fare difference). If play be ear is fine, though, good luck!

WineCountryUA May 2, 2023 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 35219939)
Assuming your booked routing is CVG-ORD-DEN: any time between boarding CVG-ORD and scheduled departure ORD-DEN, you can look for SDC to later ORD-DEN. No guarantee it's offered. If you get it, you can keep checking and changing based on whatever inventory is available. There isn't a stated max for changing, but you may get cut off or run out of inventory before 48h....

Another key point is you can not push with SDC 24 hours but with 10-ish flights daily ORD-DEN (hub-to-hub), about every 2 hours, you have multiple option. It will probably take 2, perhaps 3 SDCs daily and hope no bad weather irrops and flights fill up and no deep discount L is available. Be prepae to leave on short notice

PushingTin May 3, 2023 9:30 am

Thanks for the insights. That is what I was generally thinking how it would work.

econ May 4, 2023 3:45 am

Originally Posted by PushingTin (Post 35219899)
Can I push the ORD-DEN leg to the next day (late evening preferably)? 48 hours? Is there a max?

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 35219939)
There isn't a stated max for changing, but you may get cut off or run out of inventory before 48h.

A month or two ago, I was using SDC on the app to push out one of my non-stop flights, and it would no longer present any flight options past the departure time of the one that was exactly 24 hr after my originally booked flight. And this was the case even when there were later flights within the SDC window with same fare class availability.

I recall this wasn't the first time I noticed this in the past few years. Perhaps UA added some restrictions to prevent repeated SDC beyond a certain time?

Mict May 4, 2023 7:05 am

I have a question on whether "illegal stopovers" (intl overnight layover) would be permitted.
I have a ticket from LAX to GVA where I an overnight layover in FRA (< 24h). Booked using multi-city LAX-XXX-FRA // FRA-GVA (// GVA-LAX). The fare is for LAX-GVA and does not permit stopovers (so my stay in FRA cannot and does not currently exceed 24h).

Will I be able to SDC to an earlier LAX-XXX-FRA flight that would make my layover (/"stopover") in FRA illegal (> 24h)?
This post #910 mentions the following: "UA's check-in computers do not care how you are fared. They use their own calculation of what constitutes a stopover that is independent of the fare. Specifically, if you're spending the night, for the purposes of check-in (and thus standby/baggage/SDC) UA will treat the transfer point as a stopover whether it is or is not."

The FAQ mentions creating illegal layovers at origin is usually not permitted but the post above says the layover might be treated as a stopover and not a layover for purposes of SDC. So I am leaning towards it would be allowed?

paperwastage May 4, 2023 7:26 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 34816595)
As nonUA *G, the app did offer options for SDC on nonBE (i didn't complete the process to see if they would charge me)

Edit: actually looking back at my saved screenshots, it said

Same day confirmation
Choose a new flight in the same fare class below to make a confirmed change for free

NonUA *G, shows as Star Gold

Original flight was 6am EWR-SFO-SIN

NonBE, Change Flights offers the same flights below, or even EWR-NRT-SIN which won't show up on SDC due to the NH leg on nrt-sin (no problems with fare rules to do change flights ).

SDC screenshot was via the website during check-in, not app, but app didn't offer any extra options

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e292a903cb.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9e52e6990f.jpg

jsloan May 4, 2023 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Mict (Post 35223384)
I have a question on whether "illegal stopovers" (intl overnight layover) would be permitted.
I have a ticket from LAX to GVA where I an overnight layover in FRA (< 24h). Booked using multi-city LAX-XXX-FRA // FRA-GVA (// GVA-LAX). The fare is for LAX-GVA and does not permit stopovers (so my stay in FRA cannot and does not currently exceed 24h).

Will I be able to SDC to an earlier LAX-XXX-FRA flight that would make my layover (/"stopover") in FRA illegal (> 24h)?
This post #910 mentions the following: "UA's check-in computers do not care how you are fared. They use their own calculation of what constitutes a stopover that is independent of the fare. Specifically, if you're spending the night, for the purposes of check-in (and thus standby/baggage/SDC) UA will treat the transfer point as a stopover whether it is or is not."

The FAQ mentions creating illegal layovers at origin is usually not permitted but the post above says the layover might be treated as a stopover and not a layover for purposes of SDC. So I am leaning towards it would be allowed?

SDC is going to be hit or miss. In general, you cannot SDC when there are partner flights remaining on the itinerary; however, there have been a few recent examples of success, so I don't know that this is the hard and fast rule it once was, I do think that the computer is likely to see your destination as FRA (99.9% chance); you'll get boarding passes to FRA, and any luggage will be tagged to FRA. But whether or not you'll have any SDC options -- I would expect you'll have to fly your itinerary as currently scheduled, due to the partner segment to GVA remaining on the ticket. :(

raccah May 4, 2023 9:30 pm

In the "old days" - say Jan 2020, LOL, pre-COVID change rules, as a 1K, I could change my flight and get booked unto another flight, which seemed to ignore the cost difference of the two flights at that moment.

Say, on Jan 1, 2020, I bought a ticket for econ-plus for 2K for SFO-LHR-EWR-LAX. Then I used my upgrades and was upgraded for my flight LHR-EWR. I then changed my flight (24 hours in advance) to get on a different flight, though the cost of the flight in Biz Class was far higher than I paid.
To be fair, this is more complicated as I was upgraded, so of course, the flight was cheaper, and yet I was allowed to change the flight and keep my biz seat. Instead, if I had paid for a biz class seat for 2k and at the time of the flight it was 4k, I still would have been allowed to change to a different flight, as long as it was the same destination and within 24 hours. Or at least that is how it worked for me for many years as a 1K, before March 2020.

Sorry, for the long leadup, but my question is. Now that change fees and the such are free - for all. So, if I bought a SFO-LHR biz class seat for 3K and a more desirable flight, still SFO-LHR is 6K, within 24 hours, as a 1K, am I still allowed to change to a different flight, without any extra cost, as in the past (or at least IME) ? TIA!

WineCountryUA May 4, 2023 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by raccah (Post 35225319)
Sorry, for the long leadup, but my question is. Now that change fees and the such are free - for all. So, if I bought a SFO-LHR biz class seat for 3K and a more desirable flight, still SFO-LHR is 6K, within 24 hours, as a 1K, am I still allowed to change to a different flight, without any extra cost, as in the past (or at least IME) ? TIA!

SDC is still alive but to make the change for free your original purchased fare class must also be available on the new flight (as was required before).

raccah May 4, 2023 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 35225370)
SDC is still alive but to make the change for free your original purchased fare class must also be available on the new flight (as was required before).

OK, what about a flight like SFO-FRA-LHR (where FRA to LHR is on a partner. If I want to change to SFO-LHR will that work or will they balk?? TIA!

Fly2Connect May 4, 2023 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35185167)
SDC requires UA ticket stock.

I'm not sure it would have gone through, but I've been offered to SDC on AV stock. I opted not to, but it seemingly would have let me (showed open flights, etc.). AV stock booked as an award in X.

WineCountryUA May 4, 2023 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by raccah (Post 35225376)
OK, what about a flight like SFO-FRA-LHR (where FRA to LHR is on a partner. If I want to change to SFO-LHR will that work or will they balk?? TIA!

Yes, but this may be more difficult and the app may not offer. Try an agent if the fare class exists and you are within 24 hours of both sets of flights.

Originally Posted by doc4science (Post 35225384)
I'm not sure it would have gone through, but I've been offered to SDC on AV stock. I opted not to, but it seemingly would have let me (showed open flights, etc.). AV stock booked as an award in X.

That sounds like a award change, not SDC. If space is available award changes can happen anytime for free and include partner flights.