FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions -Free STBY for all, SDC for all elites (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1886554-ua-same-day-travel-change-sdc-fees-questions-free-stby-all-sdc-all-elites.html)

st530 Mar 27, 2023 1:47 pm

SDC Standby Priority -- Rev Passenger v UA Employee(s)?

Yesterday a friend of mine and I tried to SDC from MCI to IAH (original flight 610 pm in F; desired flight 630 am in any class). Were not able to confirm but were #s 1 and 2 on the standby list so decided to go to airport and take our chances. While seated at the gate I refreshed the app and saw that I had gotten a seat assignment so I told friend I would board but would de-plane if friend did not get a seat assignment.. While onboard, friend starts texting and calling saying there is a handful of UA employees talking to gate agent and friend wondered where he stood relative to them in terms of standby priority. I said I didn't know, all I know is you're still #1 on the standby list. A few mins later he says one of the UA employees who complained loudly about needing to get to IAH got a boarding pass and then the GA told the remaining standbys (including my friend) that all seats were taken as flight had scanned full and remaining passengers were all in the jetway to complete boarding. I eventually deplaned and the person who was #3 on the standby list got my seat.

So possibly more info than I have may be needed to answer this, but was it proper for the UA employee to get the last standby seat over my friend who was #1 on the list? I should add that after I deplaned, the GA very helpfully reminded me I would have lost my original reservation once my BP for the standby flight was scanned, and he was able to get me back on the 610 pm flight (and in F).

jsloan Mar 27, 2023 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by st530 (Post 35121195)
So possibly more info than I have may be needed to answer this

Correct.

Originally Posted by st530 (Post 35121195)
but was it proper for the UA employee to get the last standby seat over my friend who was #1 on the list?

Maybe. If the employee was commuting, generally no. If the employee was deadheading, generally yes. There are probably other scenarios I'm missing.

tryathlete Mar 31, 2023 6:48 am

Married segments and SDC

I’ve got a flight DEL-EWR-ORD. It’s in Z both legs but married segments. There’s a 9 hour layover at EWR. I’m a 1K and wondering if I can use SDC to take any of the earlier flights without paying fare difference.

PVDtoDEL Mar 31, 2023 6:55 am

Originally Posted by tryathlete (Post 35132379)
I’ve got a flight DEL-EWR-ORD. It’s in Z both legs but married segments. There’s a 9 hour layover at EWR. I’m a 1K and wondering if I can use SDC to take any of the earlier flights without paying fare difference.

After your DEL-EWR flight departs, you should be able to use the app to SDC onto any earlier EWR-ORD flight with Z inventory. If no such flight exists, you can list standby (although you will probably end up in Y if you manage to clear).

tryathlete Mar 31, 2023 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 35132396)
After your DEL-EWR flight departs, you should be able to use the app to SDC onto any earlier EWR-ORD flight with Z inventory. If no such flight exists, you can list standby (although you will probably end up in Y if you manage to clear).

That is going to be my game plan. Thank you for confirming it and clarifying this challenging little conundrum. I tried an agent but was told to refare at $2000. Worst case I could buy a one way from EWR in Y with miles or some old flight credits and escape from Newark (pun intended).

econ Mar 31, 2023 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 35132396)

Might have to wait a couple hours after departure in this case. 16+ hr DEL-EWR + 9 hr layover at EWR puts current EWR-ORD outside of 24 hr SDC window. :D

I'll add that if within the window though, I believe SDC search is enabled for the 2nd flight once the 1st boarding pass is scanned. No need to wait until departure.

LesPaul30 Apr 3, 2023 8:54 am

Hey folks - I am booked EWR - HND on UA1936 (EWR - IAD) on Wed 4/5 with a tight connection to UA803 (IAD - HND). Connection states 42mins at IAD which is likely getting into C and departing in D (which I know is just down the terminal). Little concerned on the connection esp in case of any delays.

As a 1K traveling with wife, checking bags, I want to get on UA2011 from EWR - IAD which leaves at 6:24am to ensure no drama. Currently seeing J6 for likely upgrades to free up Y and Y9 (as is Z), and B8. Possibly seeing 6 blocked on EF. The pickle I am in is that I can't do an SDC since I am in PZ on IAD - HND from using PP's- the SDC would reset the upgrade on the HND segment, so best bet is to try to go standby on UA2011. Is there a way to get on standby at the 24 hour mark to see our chances on that earlier flight?

Or anyone have any better ideas?

fumje Apr 3, 2023 10:39 am

Originally Posted by LesPaul30 (Post 35140061)
Hey folks - I am booked EWR - HND on UA1936 (EWR - IAD) on Wed 4/5 with a tight connection to UA803 (IAD - HND). Connection states 42mins at IAD which is likely getting into C and departing in D (which I know is just down the terminal). Little concerned on the connection esp in case of any delays.

As a 1K traveling with wife, checking bags, I want to get on UA2011 from EWR - IAD which leaves at 6:24am to ensure no drama. Currently seeing J6 for likely upgrades to free up Y and Y9 (as is Z), and B8. Possibly seeing 6 blocked on EF. The pickle I am in is that I can't do an SDC since I am in PZ on IAD - HND from using PP's- the SDC would reset the upgrade on the HND segment, so best bet is to try to go standby on UA2011. Is there a way to get on standby at the 24 hour mark to see our chances on that earlier flight?

Or anyone have any better ideas?

SDC might work with PZ preserved. The behaviour has changed in recent years, so that is a possibility. But the flight might not level enough to offer that, depending on your booked fare class.

SBY for premier any status will usually clear. So you could somewhat rely on that, if you go to airport early.

I would probably simply call now, though, and see if an agent will move you without fare difference. In my experience I can usually get one who will take care of it.

LesPaul30 Apr 3, 2023 11:02 am

Yeah I'm originally booked K.

I can try a few HUCA's for a change ahead of tomorrow and see if I catch someone in a good mood.

As for SBY, I've seen folks able to get on a list 24 hours out. Does the app allow that without having to be at the airport? Never tried that.

fumje Apr 3, 2023 11:24 am

Originally Posted by LesPaul30 (Post 35140423)
Yeah I'm originally booked K.

I can try a few HUCA's for a change ahead of tomorrow and see if I catch someone in a good mood.

As for SBY, I've seen folks able to get on a list 24 hours out. Does the app allow that without having to be at the airport? Never tried that.

The SBY you see are probably NRSA passengers. The SDC menu does allow you to put yourself on standby, but it doesn't reliably offer every option, and with a connecting itinerary I don't think it will give you that. So you'd likely need an agent to do it.

LesPaul30 Apr 3, 2023 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 35140499)
The SBY you see are probably NRSA passengers. The SDC menu does allow you to put yourself on standby, but it doesn't reliably offer every option, and with a connecting itinerary I don't think it will give you that. So you'd likely need an agent to do it.

Called and a very nice woman offered to get her supervisor on the line to change me to the earlier one with no cost difference. Little earlier, but that will save some unneeded anxiety! Only had to call once.

Thanks for the tip!

Kmxu Apr 3, 2023 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by LesPaul30 (Post 35140679)
Called and a very nice woman offered to get her supervisor on the line to change me to the earlier one with no cost difference. Little earlier, but that will save some unneeded anxiety! Only had to call once.

Thanks for the tip!

Well done. Have a good trip and enjoy the PL at IAD, a more relaxing place than EWR PL.

tryathlete Apr 4, 2023 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by econ (Post 35133946)
Might have to wait a couple hours after departure in this case. 16+ hr DEL-EWR + 9 hr layover at EWR puts current EWR-ORD outside of 24 hr SDC window. :D

I'll add that if within the window though, I believe SDC search is enabled for the 2nd flight once the 1st boarding pass is scanned. No need to wait until departure.

Ha—a travel waiver popped up for my trip and I called in. Agent said the waiver was for weather and didn’t really apply to my travel —- but no mention of weather on the verbiage. She got a supervisor to agree and I was able to get the flight I wanted at 10:17AM saving five additional hours in EWR. I’m golden to quote a former Illinois governor. It took 30 minutes.

Tomasz Pa Apr 4, 2023 9:01 pm

I have PDX - ORD - MIA in Z. Is there even a remote chance for SDC to PDX - SFO (777 flat) - IAH - MIA?

tryathlete Apr 4, 2023 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Tomasz Pa (Post 35144730)
I have PDX - ORD - MIA in Z. Is there even a remote chance for SDC to PDX - SFO (777 flat) - IAH - MIA?

call in and ask if the weather waiver for Chicago will allow for the change.