FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions -Free STBY for all, SDC for all elites (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1886554-ua-same-day-travel-change-sdc-fees-questions-free-stby-all-sdc-all-elites.html)

fumje Feb 1, 2023 9:33 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 34976264)
SDC with checked luggage has always been allowed, provided you have at least one hour before the flights to move your bag. SOP for domestic travel would be to deliver your bag on the next flight anyway, whether you're ticketed on it or not. Whether or not UA would agree to deliver it after an SDC? I've had them do so in the past, after SDCing DEN-IAH-AUS to DEN-AUS after rechecking my bag upon arriving from NRT. My bag went to IAH anyway (I wasn't thinking -- I should have made the change at the recheck counter), and UA delivered it to me the next day.

Is it just me? I thought it was never offered in the app once you check a bag. Maybe "allowed" is wrong word; "offered" more accurate for highlighting what I think is the change. I know an agent could pull it off, but I have seen it offered in the app now a couple times. Did you have an agent do it, or you got it in the app?

It also appears that it leaves the option there for me right up until gate control, which is a good bit <1h. I can imagine it's still enough time to get the bag on, but I kind of doubt that's what they'd do.

jsloan Feb 1, 2023 9:46 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 34976322)
Is it just me? I thought it was never offered in the app once you check a bag. Maybe "allowed" is wrong word; "offered" more accurate for highlighting what I think is the change. I know an agent could pull it off, but I have seen it offered in the app now a couple times. Did you have an agent do it, or you got it in the app?

It also appears that it leaves the option there for me right up until gate control, which is a good bit <1h. I can imagine it's still enough time to get the bag on, but I kind of doubt that's what they'd do.

Sorry, I meant to make that same point originally but forgot. Yes, I agree that it's new in the app.

I'm surprised they let you go all the way up until gate control. You bag is probably already going to be on that flight if you're changing to a nonstop, but if you're connecting, that sounds like a recipe for UA having to deliver it.

fumje Feb 1, 2023 9:50 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 34976352)
Sorry, I meant to make that same point originally but forgot. Yes, I agree that it's new in the app.

I'm surprised they let you go all the way up until gate control. You bag is probably already going to be on that flight if you're changing to a nonstop, but if you're connecting, that sounds like a recipe for UA having to deliver it.

Well I guess I have a new experiment lined up for some time when my day is a bit more open!

futuramadramallama Feb 3, 2023 3:10 pm

Can you change your routing when you SDS a domestic award? I could see the answer being "no," in that standby needs to be segment-by-segment on some carriers. Hoping to change a two-stop via two hubs to a n/s (actually O & D are hubs too).

jsloan Feb 3, 2023 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama (Post 34983031)
Can you change your routing when you SDS a domestic award? I could see the answer being "no," in that standby needs to be segment-by-segment on some carriers. Hoping to change a two-stop via two hubs to a n/s (actually O & D are hubs too).

Officially, you cannot change routing during standby. In practice, some agents will allow it as long as the nonstop you want departs before your confirmed flight.

jonisflying Feb 13, 2023 5:10 am

I've read through this thread and wanted to share an experience and ask for clarification of something.

I have the following next week:

TPA-IAH - U Fare, PlusPoint upgrade cleared (UA2392 - departing at 6:46AM)
IAH-NRT - Business (Polaris, confirmed upgrade both directions using plus points) (UA7 - departing at 10:15AM)
NRT-HKG - Coach/Economy (W fare class) (NH811)

That is a pretty long travel day, and despite my best efforts I'm stuck in Coach on NH811. So, I thought, okay, I'll SDC my Tuesday morning 6:46 flight to Houston Monday afternoon or evening and stay in Houston Monday night. I called to see if I can find a nice 1K agent who will make the change now, since I'll be able to do it in a week. My upgrade hadn't cleared and the 5:04 flight was U9. So I should be good.

Not only did they want to charge me $5,000, she said I couldn't even SDC to the day before because that would require repricing my entire fare, and the fees are only waived for "Same Day" (meaning only Monday) changes.

So, two questions:

1.) I've read this thread, I know it's 24 hours - right?
2.) Should I check in Monday morning and then call? Or, call before checking in?

What I'm worried about is any potential change to my upgraded IAH-NRT confirmed upgrade. I've read enough of this thread to know that what I want to do should be simple and allowable, but the agent scared me a bit, saying that I would mess up my upgrade if I switch to a Monday departure.

Thoughts?

jsloan Feb 13, 2023 7:53 am

Originally Posted by jonisflying (Post 35007535)
I called to see if I can find a nice 1K agent who will make the change now, since I'll be able to do it in a week.

That's… not the way that works.

My upgrade hadn't cleared and the 5:04 flight was U9. So I should be good.

Nope, because you're not within the SDC window. You were asking the agent to commit a major rule violation. Outside of the SDC window, changing the first flight of your itinerary triggers a reprice using current fares and advance purchase requirements.

1.) I've read this thread, I know it's 24 hours - right?

Once you're within the SDC window, yes.

What I'm worried about is any potential change to my upgraded IAH-NRT confirmed upgrade. I've read enough of this thread to know that what I want to do should be simple and allowable, but the agent scared me a bit, saying that I would mess up my upgrade if I switch to a Monday departure.

1 - I don't think you can actually do this SDC.
2 - If you can do this SDC, there's a possibility that you can lose your upgrade if the agent isn't careful, and there's an argument that it would be within policy to revoke the upgrade.

Changing to the previous flight day probably requires the ticket to be reissued. (I say probably because UA can do some crazy things when it comes to revalidating a ticket without reissuing it if only UA segments are involved). If it requires the ticket to be reissued, I suspect the fact that you have non-UA flights on the itinerary will make that impossible. (Until very recently, SDC was not an option with non-UA segments remaining on the itinerary at all).

As for losing the upgrade due to SDC -- you may have found a loophole. You almost certainly have a fare break at Houston, which is why your TPA-IAH flight is in a different class than your NRT-HKG flight. That might allow the agent to change your TPA-IAH leg on its own without affecting the IAH-NRT flight (but, again, not until you're within the SDC window). What the app seems to be doing recently is requiring your current fare class on each leg -- so if the app offers you any options at all (it probably won't), you'd probably need current PZ inventory. If the app offers you options and they do not say PZ, then you would lose the upgrade if you accept them. An agent may be willing to change this without affecting your downline flight, especially because of the fare break, but I wouldn't be surprised if any change triggered the upgrade to be refunded.

You can call starting at 6:46 AM Monday -- 24 hours prior to your scheduled departure. But what you're trying to do is definitely not simple and only arguably allowable, so don't be surprised if you get told no.

jonisflying Feb 13, 2023 8:00 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 35007843)
That's… not the way that works.

Nope, because you're not within the SDC window. You were asking the agent to commit a major rule violation. Outside of the SDC window, changing the first flight of your itinerary triggers a reprice using current fares and advance purchase requirements.

You can call starting at 6:46 AM Monday -- 24 hours prior to your scheduled departure. But what you're trying to do is definitely not simple and only arguably allowable, so don't be surprised if you get told no.

Got it. okay, I'm leaving this alone! Thank you jsloan - I really appreciate it!

JayhawkCO Feb 15, 2023 12:57 pm

Question for the wise UA forum posters. I have an award flight (booked XN) coming up, on which I paid up to a Z fare. If I want to standby for an earlier flight (or SDC), do I need Z class availability? Or just F Cabin availability? And, I'm assuming I know the answer to this, but if I chose to go back to Y to fly earlier, I wouldn't get my paid upgrade back, correct?

findark Feb 15, 2023 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO (Post 35014110)
Question for the wise UA forum posters. I have an award flight (booked XN) coming up, on which I paid up to a Z fare. If I want to standby for an earlier flight (or SDC), do I need Z class availability? Or just F Cabin availability? And, I'm assuming I know the answer to this, but if I chose to go back to Y to fly earlier, I wouldn't get my paid upgrade back, correct?

Not 100% sure since every situation is a little unique, but I believe...

The computer (app) will use Z class availability to SDC. If you SDC, it will be to Z class and only if Z is available.

If you standby, it is always for Economy - it is impossible as a matter of practice to standby for a premium cabin.

A human who is being careful may insist that your SDC go to XN class instead (your booked class), or may be less careful and use Z class.

If you ultimately fly in Economy, per policy the upgrade is forfeit unless the change was involuntary. YMMV on whether asking nicely will get it refunded.

tobiashenry Feb 19, 2023 1:48 am

Currently booked on SEA - IAH on 07:10

There's a flight exactly at 23:59 from SEA- IAH.

Can I SBY the earlier flight ( 7 hour before, but 1 calendar day before)

As it is an award flight, not sure if I can do SDC

jsloan Feb 19, 2023 6:41 am

Originally Posted by tobiashenry (Post 35022790)
Currently booked on SEA - IAH on 07:10

There's a flight exactly at 23:59 from SEA- IAH.

Can I SBY the earlier flight ( 7 hour before, but 1 calendar day before)

As it is an award flight, not sure if I can do SDC

In theory, yes, you can standby for it, although there are occasional stories of gate agents refusing to set it up due to the calendar day difference. (Of course, if you don’t clear, then you’re sitting at SEA at midnight).

You can SDC an award ticket, but it requires award space in the same booking class.

JetSetDave Feb 19, 2023 6:54 pm

Have a pending snowstorm and freezing weather during the early morning of my upcoming trip, EUG-SFO-BKK and hoping to do a EUG-SFO standby on the previous day to avoid potential delays. I plan to stay overnight and then resume my original itinerary from SFO as planned.
EUG has limited de-icing equipment with many early morning flights, hence the concern of missing my SFO connection. Many open seats on the mid day flight that I wish to standby, A320 plane.

My main question is what happens to my confirmed upgrade with PP to P+ on my SFO-NRT segment? Does it remain intact without any concerns? I am aware that I am not elgible for a SDC due to a partner flight. Thanks

jsloan Feb 19, 2023 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by JetSetDave (Post 35024562)
Have a pending snowstorm and freezing weather during the early morning of my upcoming trip, EUG-SFO-BKK and hoping to do a EUG-SFO standby on the previous day to avoid potential delays. I plan to stay overnight and then resume my original itinerary from SFO as planned.
EUG has limited de-icing equipment with many early morning flights, hence the concern of missing my SFO connection. Many open seats on the mid day flight that I wish to standby, A320 plane.

My main question is what happens to my confirmed upgrade with PP to P+ on my SFO-NRT segment? Does it remain intact without any concerns? I am aware that I am not elgible for a SDC due to a partner flight. Thanks

If you’re successful standing by, your downline flights should be unaffected.

FriendlySkies Feb 19, 2023 9:35 pm

Haven’t seen any weather waivers issued for EUG, but be sure to keep an eye out as it should allow you some flexibility vs hoping to SDC.