Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Hi all, I booked a K fare on a roundtrip through the Chase UR portal. I'm now wanting to buy up to W to use a GPU.
When I called the 1k line the rep said she cannot make the change and to call the travel agency.

Is this the policy or is it a huca situation?
Does Chase UR portal even allow you to up-fare?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
HUCA, but you are asking for a favor to change an agency ticket and next time you should book the W fare to start with.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oopl
Hi all, I booked a K fare on a roundtrip through the Chase UR portal. I'm now wanting to buy up to W to use a GPU.
When I called the 1k line the rep said she cannot make the change and to call the travel agency.

Did you buy a no-changes fare? (Are you flying TATL?)

You'd need to call Chase; I don't believe you can book anything besides the lowest available fare online.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Generally, tickets purchased from a TA can only be changed by the TA before travel starts. UA, in some cases for a fee, will take over a TA issued ticket.
Note UA will charge a ticket change fee to go from K to W -- it is not covered by GG BUYUP. Occansional an elite phone agent will waive the fee.
You will not get the 24-hour change fee waiver as you did not purchase from UA.

You will need to talk to a live person to upfare --
question, why did you not buy the W fare in the first place? Was it due to a lowest economy reimbursement policy?
If you do this will Chase within 24 hours, there should be no change fee.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Did you buy a no-changes fare? (Are you flying TATL?)
Yes no-change and TPAC.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
question, why did you not buy the W fare in the first place? Was it due to a lowest economy reimbursement policy?
If you do this will Chase within 24 hours, there should be no change fee.
Yea had to book lowest economy. Also, when I was booking there was no R space but now there is. Past 24hours so hoping it's still possible without a drastic fee.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes no-change and TPAC.
UA isn't selling no-changes fares TPAC (at least, not that I've seen). TATL, there are now fares that you can't change after purchase, so you'd be out of luck. As it is, Chase should be able to change it to a W fare; UA probably can too but, as has been mentioned, they may not want to do so.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA isn't selling no-changes fares TPAC (at least, not that I've seen). TATL, there are now fares that you can't change after purchase, so you'd be out of luck. As it is, Chase should be able to change it to a W fare; UA probably can too but, as has been mentioned, they may not want to do so.
Oh yea you're right, I've read about the economy-light TATL fares.
I meant I booked the cheapest K fare.

Update: Good ending achieved. Talked with Chase UR portal, after much computer searching they were offering to make the buy-up to W for me for fare difference + change fee. However, I could not use UR to pay. I decided to call 1k line again and got a rep who was very helpful. They waived the change fee and allowed me to buy up using a travel voucher 1 way + cash the other. Thanks all.
jsloan and BThumme like this.

Last edited by oopl; Oct 9, 2018 at 8:39 am
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:15 pm

A simple question: is the 4 flights on United/United Expres requirement already valid for 2018 or is it as of 2019? I will be flying a few times with LH, still this year. Does it make sense to use MileagePlus or should I stick to M&M?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, Cyrano_ak!

Originally Posted by Cyrano_ak
is the 4 flights on United/United Expres requirement already valid for 2018 or is it as of 2019?
It is not new - it has been in place since 2012.
Cyrano_ak likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Welcome to FT, Cyrano_ak!

It is not new - it has been in place since 2012.
Ok, thanks for the quick response! Doesn't make sense then to use MileagePlus for the coming flights.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Cyrano_ak
Ok, thanks for the quick response! Doesn't make sense then to use MileagePlus for the coming flights.
For clarity, (with some exceptions which doesn't apply to most), you need to have min. of 4 UA/UX operated flights every year to achieve elite status.
Cyrano_ak likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Looking at a one way domestic award flight next week (anywhere from 6 to 9 days out from today). Plenty of saver tix at 10k each but the fee is $80+. I've never seen a domestic fee that high. Why is that?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Looking at a one way domestic award flight next week (anywhere from 6 to 9 days out from today). Plenty of saver tix at 10k each but the fee is $80+. I've never seen a domestic fee that high. Why is that?
The close-in booking fee is $75 plus $5 for TSA = $80.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So I input my MP number on the LH booking site and after about trying about three different versions of my title - and being told all three versions were incorrect as they did not match my MP number I gave up on inputting my MP number and just booked the ticket. Has anyone else had an issue with the LH booking site not accepting their MP number? I will provide the number when I check in but was wondering if others have experienced similar issues. TIA
I never had a problem. You may still able to add it. There is a field where you can add it to your LH pnr booking. If that doesn't work, at check in surely will.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:48 am

Hello!

I recently booked a RT to ZRH. The view reservation page on the UA website is showing $1114 PQD, which matches what I saw during booking. However, the emailed reciept and the receipt when viewed on the website is only showing $794 PQD. The fare basis codes are TKW2ZNCT and TJX2ZNCT.

Which should I believe?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.