Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Michael Glenny
This may be a question for it's own thread but hoping someone can help.
I travel from Houston, Tx to Colombo, Sri Lanka 3 to 4 times a year for work. I used to take IAH->SFO->SIN->CMB. Singapore to Colombo was on Sri Lanka Airlines so no miles or dollars but was only four hours. A trip would net me about 20000 miles and would run about 1600USD plus upgrades to Economy plus round trip. The prices appear to have changed recently as this trip is running over 2300 for me each way. The economical way for me is now from Houston to London to CMB with the last 10 hours being on Sri Lanka airlines. This would result in about a 8k miles round trip which is no bueno.

So the questions are:

1. Anyone know why the focus on sending me through London these days?
2. Tips and tricks for booking a higher mileage run from IAH to CMB? I can do Turkish Airlines which is about 13k miles but no PQD.

Thanks!
There are FTers with far better expertise than me, but did you consider LH (Lufthansa). I often use LH to fly to India. As long as you select the right fare class you will bet PQM (but no PQD if it is not booked as an 016 ticket)
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:09 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
I booked flights for March on AMS-ZRH-SFO-SAN-SFO-ZRH-AMS. All flights are operated and ticketed on LX except for SAN-SFO-SAN. I booked those very cheap flights on an OTA and no booking class is shown. Can anybody guarantee that all LX booking classes are eligible to earn miles with UA? I mean K class is a very cheap fare class and I see this accruals miles with UA. I know this is not the case with LH K fare class so that's why I booked with LX. Once again I don't know my fare class.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Goflyer100
Can anybody guarantee that all LX booking classes are eligible to earn miles with UA?
Not without more information.

Once again I don't know my fare class.
If you really want to know, I suggest you call LX and find out.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:34 pm

I booked flights for March on AMS-ZRH-SFO-SAN-SFO-ZRH-AMS. All flights are operated and ticketed on LX except for SAN-SFO-SAN. I booked those very cheap flights on an OTA and no booking class is shown. Can anybody guarantee that all LX booking classes are eligible to earn miles with UA? I mean K class is a very cheap fare class and I see this accruals miles with UA. I know this is not the case with LH K fare class so that's why I booked with LX. Once again I don't know my fare class.
Which type of miles? Elite/PQM miles or redeemable miles?

and no not all fares earn any type of miles. The OTA should give you a LX record locator/reservation for you to look up the reservation on Swiss.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: United Premier Silver
Is there a way to find out if a certain route has had reductions in available flights?

in looking at IAH-LAS routes for Super Bowl weekend it seems as if they’ve eliminated the late evening (8-9pm departure) from IAH and also eliminated the red eye return (1am departure from LAS).
Old Jan 7, 2018, 1:58 am
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drew in the air
Which type of miles? Elite/PQM miles or redeemable miles?

and no not all fares earn any type of miles. The OTA should give you a LX record locator/reservation for you to look up the reservation on Swiss.
Thank you so much! I just retrieved my reservation in manage my booking and see that all flights are booked in K class which accruals 50% redeemable miles and 100% PQMs.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Is there a way to find out if a certain route has had reductions in available flights?

in looking at IAH-LAS routes for Super Bowl weekend it seems as if they’ve eliminated the late evening (8-9pm departure) from IAH and also eliminated the red eye return (1am departure from LAS).
The only way to identify 'reductions' is to search other dates than your desired to look at all the nonstops to establish what is 'normal'. Google flights will probably be faster than UA's site. If you have expert flyer you may be able to make a summary of schedules faster than by clicking around on the calendar with Google.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:13 pm

Baggage Fees and Premium Economy on Stopover Flight

I'm planning an award flight (economy) from Houston to Bali. Idea is to fly IAH - SIN, stopover for 5 days, then SIN - DPS where we will stay 7 days, then a complete flight back home, DPS - SIN -IAH (There are intermediate stops in LAX for most award flight options).

We take UA flights from IAH to LAX and LAX to SIN, then a SQ flight to DPS. Same setup for the return.

Two questions: a) Can I pay a cash or miles price to upgrade to premium economy at time of booking, and how do I get the cash price from the UA website?

b) I understand that my bags are checked free as a result of UA being the "marketing carrier". Does this mean that when I take the SQ flight from SIN to DPS after the stopover that my bags will check for free?

Thank you for your responses.

Last edited by StrongEagle; Jan 9, 2018 at 8:20 pm Reason: Update email notificatons
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:20 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by StrongEagle

Two questions: a) Can I pay a cash or miles price to upgrade to premium economy at time of booking, and how do I get the cash price from the UA website?
UA does not offer Premium Economy, only Economy Plus (E+) which I believe you can buy after you ticket. Same seat with 3 to 4 extra inches (UA claims "up to 5"). Believe SQ has introduced them, but not sure how many aircraft have them and / or if they are offered on this relatively flight.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StrongEagle
b) I understand that my bags are checked free as a result of UA being the "marketing carrier". Does this mean that when I take the SQ flight from SIN to DPS after the stopover that my bags will check for free?
You will get UA's bag fees from Houston to Singapore for your entire trip; two free bags at 50 pounds each. You should bring a printout of your receipt, which will show this clearly.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:30 pm

I am trying to book a trip to Greece later on this year and found a one-way flight for ATH-ZRH-ORD-MSP with Business Saver availability on United.com (mixed cabin--flight for ORD-->MSP is in Economy). Since the first two leg is operated by Swiss, I checked the Aeroplan site make sure I"m not seeing phantom award flights and to confirm availability. When entered as ATH-->MSP, I didn't see availability, but when I do ATH_>ORD, I do see it. I called United to see if they can confirm that I will be able to book the flight with saver miles and they said they do see that seats are available to book. Am I safe to assume that these are not phantom awards?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Do you have any elite status (including credit cards) with UA? The ORD-MSP segment could be in XN, which would not be visible to Aeroplan. Regardless, I think you're probably fine if a UA phone agent is seeing the space.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Do you have any elite status (including credit cards) with UA? The ORD-MSP segment could be in XN, which would not be visible to Aeroplan. Regardless, I think you're probably fine if a UA phone agent is seeing the space.
I don't have elite status and am OK with flying Econ for that last segment. I'm just a little paranoid since I have heard stories about phantom awards and some people transferring all their miles over from Chase and then unable to get the flights ticketed. Thanks for the reply!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mochi0172
I don't have elite status and am OK with flying Econ for that last segment. I'm just a little paranoid since I have heard stories about phantom awards and some people transferring all their miles over from Chase and then unable to get the flights ticketed. Thanks for the reply!
It is a legitimate concern, but given that you can see the award in Aeroplan to ORD, it could be something as simple as AC not showing you a mixed cabin award. Others can chime in, but you should certainly make sure it tickets before booking other portions of your trip (e.g. nonrefundable reservations).
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mochi0172
Am I safe to assume that these are not phantom awards?
With partner segments, there's never a 100% guaranty the itinerary will ticket. But it's the LX segments to be concerned about, and you've done your homework by checking AP and calling UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.