Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread inOceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) forum
Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?
United Airlines Launches Inaugural Flight Between San Francisco and Tahiti, Announces it will Extend to Year-Round Service

United launches the only nonstop service to the Islands of Tahiti by a U.S. carrier from the mainland United States

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today started the only nonstop service by a U.S. carrier to the Islands of Tahiti. The airline launched its first flight between San Francisco and Pape'ete, the capital of Tahiti. As part of its inaugural celebration, United also announced it is extending its Tahiti schedule to year-round service from San Francisco.

"We are thrilled to extend this exciting flight to a year-round schedule," said Janet Lamkin. "For Californians and our customers connecting through San Francisco, this route offers an escape to a little corner of paradise."

United's newest international flight offers customers a convenient gateway to the islands of French Polynesia including Mo'orea, Bora Bora, the Marquesas and Rangiroa. Starting today, United's service to Tahiti departs San Francisco International Airport on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Beginning March 30, 2019, United will begin year-round service on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. United will operate the route with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft throughout the year. Tickets are available for purchase on united.com.
Flight City Pair Depart Arrive
UA 115 San Francisco - Tahiti 2:45 p.m. 9:25 p.m.
UA 114 Tahiti - San Francisco 11:45 p.m. 9:50 a.m. next day

United and United Express operate more than 250 daily flights between San Francisco and 90 destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. From San Francisco, United will continue to operate nonstop seasonal summer service to Zurich in 2019 and recently announced it will be the only U.S. carrier to offer daily, year-round nonstop service to Amsterdam beginning March 30, 2019.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
It's SFO-PPT 788 starts October 30 2018.

United Airlines adds the South Pacific's Most Stunning Tropical Paradise to its Growing List of New Routes

Tahiti becomes the 13th international route announced by the airline in 2017
United's new nonstop flight from SFO to Tahiti connects customers to beautiful beaches, overwater bungalows, coral atolls and forested volcanoes

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 13, 2017 -- United Airlines (UAL), the leading carrier in the San Francisco Bay Area, today announced it will begin service between San Francisco and Pape'ete, the capital of Tahiti, the South Pacific's gateway to more than 118 islands in French Polynesia including Bora Bora, Moorea, the Marquesas and Raiatea. United is the only U.S. carrier offering nonstop service to Tahiti from the mainland United States. Tickets are now available for purchase.

"We are excited to announce Tahiti as our 13th new international route this year, and we are even more thrilled about offering our customers a whole new world of vacation opportunities," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "We know our customers want more destinations to choose from to escape the winter weather, and we look forward to being the airline that connects them to this corner of paradise.

"United's service from San Francisco will connect customers to the South Pacific's most pristine waters, white sand beaches, stunning turquoise lagoons, coral atolls and volcanic mountain peaks. Visitors to the islands experience a tropical paradise and countless spaces to relax and reconnect in natural beauty and authentic French Polynesian island culture.

United will operate nonstop service, three times weekly with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft between its San Francisco hub and Fa'a'ā International Airport (PPT), beginning Oct. 30, 2018, through March 28, 2019, subject to government approval.
Winter 2018 schedule – Subject to government approval
UA 115 SFO – PPT Tues/Thurs/Sun 2:45 p.m. - 9:25 p.m
UA 114 PPT – SFO Tues/Thurs/Sun 11:45 p.m. - 9:50 a.m. next day
*Flight Times Subject to Change

United's Long History Connecting Customers to the Pacific Islands
United's love affair with the Pacific islands started more than 70 years ago and continues today. It began in 1947 with United's first flight across the Pacific from San Francisco to Honolulu, making the Hawaiian Islands an easily accessible destination for tourism and business. Today, United offers more flights between the mainland and the Hawaiian Islands than any other U.S. carrier.

In 1968, United expanded its Pacific network linking the Hawaiian Islands, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia and Guam. Today, nearly half a century later, United's Island Hopper - Flight 155 - departs Guam in the morning and makes a series of five, one-hour flights to the islands of Chuuk, Pohnpei, Kosrae; Kwajalein and Majuro. In addition to the airline's popular Island Hopper service, United connects customers from Guam to other island destinations including Palau, Yap and the Philippines.

In 1986, United began nonstop service from its West Coast hubs in the U.S. to Sydney and Melbourne, Australia. Today, United is the largest U.S. carrier to serve Australia, offering the most seats to Sydney and Melbourne with its daily nonstop service from San Francisco and Los Angeles.Building its powerful Pacific network, last year United began nonstop service from San Francisco to Auckland, New Zealand, becoming the largest mainland U.S. carrier to serve the City of Sails.

United's San Francisco Hub
United and United Express operate more than 250 daily flights between San Francisco and 90 destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. Beginning in June 2018, United will start nonstop seasonal summer service between San Francisco and Zurich.
Print Wikipost

UA SFO-PPT 787-8 Experiences, QA, .....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:59 am

Buzzman, milepig, thanks for posting your experience.

Question for you: We're flying in January, fairly tight connection out of SFO.
How was your experience arriving at SFO, passing immigration, getting bags, customs? We're GE, but haven't connected into the US via SFO yet.

Also, if by chance flying Polaris, how was the departure lounge experience in PPT?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ronin

How was your experience arriving at SFO, passing immigration, getting bags, customs? We're GE, but haven't connected into the US via SFO yet.

Also, if by chance flying Polaris, how was the departure lounge experience in PPT?
It’s been donkey years since I came in through SFO but can say that the fastest way through security is usually to use the line for the international G terminal. Inside it’s all connected. GE is usually pretty fast at most airports.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milepig
It’s been donkey years since I came in through SFO but can say that the fastest way through security is usually to use the line for the international G terminal. Inside it’s all connected. GE is usually pretty fast at most airports.
Which security checkpoint varies on time of day. Early morning, late afternoon the international terminal security is good -- more late morning, early afternoon, not so good.As a local, I get the parking lot shuttle to drop me off at international terminal (near the Bart station) and walk past the international security, if empty I take it, otherwise I walk to the next security checkpoint in the domestic terminal (north end, near the Centurion Lounge) which better when the international is bad. Using that approach I rarely encounter more then a handful of people in the PreCheck line.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:53 am

Thanks for the insight, and sorry I wasn't clear.
I was wondering about the connection between the arrival of the PPT to SFO flight, and then from SFO to ongoing domestic destinations.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;

I think it is as easy as any airport in the US... only drag would be if your gate is a bit out there as it can be quite a hike. Immigration is a breeze and bags come out as good as anywhere.... normal waits... also recheck is a breeze and you are right next to the United domestic terminal when you come out... with a security line right there both for normal security and Pre....

We were flying Polaris on the return and the lounge is ok... It's a shared lounge with apparently all of the International carriers having access... wine and spirits and some small bites.. not a big spread but ok. The important thing is to get out of the awful departure lounge.. a horrible place... Often two full departures waiting in a not very well air conditioned single big hall with a one or two shops and a snack bar... limited seating... you are in another world when you go upstairs to the executive lounge.. trust me...

United is using Air Tahiti staff at check in. I found them to be well trained and knowledgeable, given the fact that it was exactly two weeks since the inaugural flight..

For those who don't have Polaris, its not very nice to come early evening or late afternoon from another island and wait at the airport for your return home... not air conditioned and not a nice place to be other than to check in and pass security... If we are returning from an outer island, we will take a day room for the wait...

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Which security checkpoint varies on time of day. Early morning, late afternoon the international terminal security is good -- more late morning, early afternoon, not so good.As a local, I get the parking lot shuttle to drop me off at international terminal (near the Bart station) and walk past the international security, if empty I take it, otherwise I walk to the next security checkpoint in the domestic terminal (north end, near the Centurion Lounge) which better when the international is bad. Using that approach I rarely encounter more then a handful of people in the PreCheck line.
Of course if you are connecting, you can go straight from your inbound flight to the international terminal without security.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 20, 2018 at 10:30 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Buzzman
.....Of course if you are connecting, you can go straight from your inbound flight to the international terminal without security.
If doing DI (Domestic-International connection) but the OP was asking about ID, so must reclear security.
How was your experience arriving at SFO, passing immigration, getting bags, customs? We're GE, but haven't connected into the US via SFO yet. ...
... I was wondering about the connection between the arrival of the PPT to SFO flight, and then from SFO to ongoing domestic destinations.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
We returned on Sunday night. I found the lounge pretty average. Food was picked over. They ran out of wine shortly after we arrived and didn't replenish. Big plus, though, was the air conditioning - especially after the very slow security line experience downstairs. We had about five hours between arrival of flight from BOB and boarding for our UA flight, so rather than stay at the airport, we stored our rolling bags (bag storage place is open until 10 pm) and took a taxi to the nearby Intercontinental for dinner and drinks.

Arrival at SFO went very quickly with GE and no checked bags. We were in the Polaris lounge probably 15 minutes after walking off the plane. The longest part of all that was the walk from the C/I hall to the Pre-check line.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our departure from PPT on 11/27 was delayed by 2+ hours due to a late arrival from SFO. I can report that ground operations did an EXCELLENT job of handling the situation. The UA representative, didn't catch his name, walked the line talking to everyone about connection issues and asking us all when and how we found out about the delay. When I pointed out that the regular line was moving quickly while the two premium line agents had been helping the same two customers the entire time we were in line he leapt in and got the premium line moving (yes, he should have noticed himself, but he took care of it when brought to his attention). He quipped that he's almost made in through the first month without a delay. Agents seemed well trained and were "working the system" to try to rebook people. Quite impressive that they'd been trained so quickly.

The lounge was what it was. Most importantly, it was a cool haven after dealing with 3 very humid days in a row. Chow was sketchy, but the staff was great. Upon arrival I asked when the1y closed, and the answer was "when the last plane in boarded". I'd like to see that policy at UCs!! Given the situation, it wasn't surprising that the booze ran out, but it was replenished. I've eaten enough little hot dogs to last a lifetime, and the sandwiches were adequate. Desserts ran out and were not replenished. I'm a fan of unusually flavored crackers, and the chicken flavor brought me back to the "Chicken in a bisquet" crackers of my childhood. The showers were available, but they'd run out of towels, so I passed.

We didn't quite make the "15 minutes to Polaris" of the previous poster, but were standing in the TSA line in 20. As we then had only 45 minutes before boarding our onward flight and we were departing from gate 61, we opted for the lounge by gate 60, and I had just enough time to clear my email before boarding. Whew.

Last edited by milepig; Nov 29, 2018 at 10:27 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Global Services -- Marriott Ambassador Elite - AA Gold
Sorry if this has been addressed already however Landing in PPT at 7:40PM from SFO. What are the options to get to Bora Bora Same day. It looks like the Air Tahiti flights stop around 5PM.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by tmo454
Sorry if this has been addressed already however Landing in PPT at 7:40PM from SFO. What are the options to get to Bora Bora Same day. It looks like the Air Tahiti flights stop around 5PM.
everyone will overnight at Tahiti, there is an Intercontinental nearby the airport (5 min taxi, 20 min walk?). I recommend you to book early since it might sell out.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
everyone will overnight at Tahiti, there is an Intercontinental nearby the airport (5 min taxi, 20 min walk?). I recommend you to book early since it might sell out.
A taxi is 6 minutes to the IC, according to Google maps. The walk is 24 minutes, and down some roads that I wouldn't suggest after dark.

The IC has no ATM, so hit up the one at the airport when you land. Taxis should be waiting, and every driver we had spoke at ;least some English, but even if they don't they'll certainly know "Intercontinental" Currency is easy, just lop of two zeros like the Yen. 1,000 = US10.

When you book, check the price with breakfast. The buffet is huge with everything you could imagine, and can easily last you through lunch.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You're forced to overnight in both directions. I wonder if Tahiti forces this schedule on the carriers to drive overnight business.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
You're forced to overnight in both directions. I wonder if Tahiti forces this schedule on the carriers to drive overnight business.
We didn't have to overnight on the return. Our flight from BOB got in around 4 pm (there were several later flights we could have taken). We killed a few hours at the Intercontinental and then flew out on UA at 10:50 ish.

No idea about why Air Tahiti's schedule is that way, but when you do get to BOB, you still have to take a boat to whichever hotel you are going to. I wasn't paying too much attention, but I don't recall seeing too many boats late in the evening.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ms_go
We didn't have to overnight on the return.
Thanks, you're right, I was confusing UA's return with AF's.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: UA Global Services -- Marriott Ambassador Elite - AA Gold
I assume it's pricy for an hour flight but has anyone tried a charter option? It looks like they are a few services that offer it but i'm not sure how reliable they are.

And yes you are correct, we depart at 10:40PM on the UA flight so no issue with the departure, only the arrival. You'd would think now with the year round UA flight Air Tahiti could make a killing on a 9PM departure to BOB. At least on the Tuesday Thursday Sunday UA flight days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.