Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related thread inOceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) forum
Any COVID updates for French Polynesia/Tahiti?
United Airlines Launches Inaugural Flight Between San Francisco and Tahiti, Announces it will Extend to Year-Round Service

United launches the only nonstop service to the Islands of Tahiti by a U.S. carrier from the mainland United States

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today started the only nonstop service by a U.S. carrier to the Islands of Tahiti. The airline launched its first flight between San Francisco and Pape'ete, the capital of Tahiti. As part of its inaugural celebration, United also announced it is extending its Tahiti schedule to year-round service from San Francisco.

"We are thrilled to extend this exciting flight to a year-round schedule," said Janet Lamkin. "For Californians and our customers connecting through San Francisco, this route offers an escape to a little corner of paradise."

United's newest international flight offers customers a convenient gateway to the islands of French Polynesia including Mo'orea, Bora Bora, the Marquesas and Rangiroa. Starting today, United's service to Tahiti departs San Francisco International Airport on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Beginning March 30, 2019, United will begin year-round service on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. United will operate the route with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft throughout the year. Tickets are available for purchase on united.com.
Flight City Pair Depart Arrive
UA 115 San Francisco - Tahiti 2:45 p.m. 9:25 p.m.
UA 114 Tahiti - San Francisco 11:45 p.m. 9:50 a.m. next day

United and United Express operate more than 250 daily flights between San Francisco and 90 destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. From San Francisco, United will continue to operate nonstop seasonal summer service to Zurich in 2019 and recently announced it will be the only U.S. carrier to offer daily, year-round nonstop service to Amsterdam beginning March 30, 2019.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
It's SFO-PPT 788 starts October 30 2018.

United Airlines adds the South Pacific's Most Stunning Tropical Paradise to its Growing List of New Routes

Tahiti becomes the 13th international route announced by the airline in 2017
United's new nonstop flight from SFO to Tahiti connects customers to beautiful beaches, overwater bungalows, coral atolls and forested volcanoes

SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 13, 2017 -- United Airlines (UAL), the leading carrier in the San Francisco Bay Area, today announced it will begin service between San Francisco and Pape'ete, the capital of Tahiti, the South Pacific's gateway to more than 118 islands in French Polynesia including Bora Bora, Moorea, the Marquesas and Raiatea. United is the only U.S. carrier offering nonstop service to Tahiti from the mainland United States. Tickets are now available for purchase.

"We are excited to announce Tahiti as our 13th new international route this year, and we are even more thrilled about offering our customers a whole new world of vacation opportunities," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network. "We know our customers want more destinations to choose from to escape the winter weather, and we look forward to being the airline that connects them to this corner of paradise.

"United's service from San Francisco will connect customers to the South Pacific's most pristine waters, white sand beaches, stunning turquoise lagoons, coral atolls and volcanic mountain peaks. Visitors to the islands experience a tropical paradise and countless spaces to relax and reconnect in natural beauty and authentic French Polynesian island culture.

United will operate nonstop service, three times weekly with Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft between its San Francisco hub and Fa'a'ā International Airport (PPT), beginning Oct. 30, 2018, through March 28, 2019, subject to government approval.
Winter 2018 schedule – Subject to government approval
UA 115 SFO – PPT Tues/Thurs/Sun 2:45 p.m. - 9:25 p.m
UA 114 PPT – SFO Tues/Thurs/Sun 11:45 p.m. - 9:50 a.m. next day
*Flight Times Subject to Change

United's Long History Connecting Customers to the Pacific Islands
United's love affair with the Pacific islands started more than 70 years ago and continues today. It began in 1947 with United's first flight across the Pacific from San Francisco to Honolulu, making the Hawaiian Islands an easily accessible destination for tourism and business. Today, United offers more flights between the mainland and the Hawaiian Islands than any other U.S. carrier.

In 1968, United expanded its Pacific network linking the Hawaiian Islands, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia and Guam. Today, nearly half a century later, United's Island Hopper - Flight 155 - departs Guam in the morning and makes a series of five, one-hour flights to the islands of Chuuk, Pohnpei, Kosrae; Kwajalein and Majuro. In addition to the airline's popular Island Hopper service, United connects customers from Guam to other island destinations including Palau, Yap and the Philippines.

In 1986, United began nonstop service from its West Coast hubs in the U.S. to Sydney and Melbourne, Australia. Today, United is the largest U.S. carrier to serve Australia, offering the most seats to Sydney and Melbourne with its daily nonstop service from San Francisco and Los Angeles.Building its powerful Pacific network, last year United began nonstop service from San Francisco to Auckland, New Zealand, becoming the largest mainland U.S. carrier to serve the City of Sails.

United's San Francisco Hub
United and United Express operate more than 250 daily flights between San Francisco and 90 destinations throughout North America, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. Beginning in June 2018, United will start nonstop seasonal summer service between San Francisco and Zurich.
Print Wikipost

UA SFO-PPT 787-8 Experiences, QA, .....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amtrakusa
1. AF is rumored to get out of this route anyway. there is an opportunity here.
If AF can't make it work, why would UA be able to do so?

2. UA needs to show commitment to LAX, this is an inexpensive way for UA to show some love to LA. and it will make money, at least in winter, relative to anything else it can fly.
I'm not sure why they "need" to show commitment to LAX, beyond what they're already doing, but I don't think anyone is going to look at replacing a daily flight to SIN with a less-than-daily flight to PPT as being "love." And it's entirely possible that airplane is more profitable sitting in storage than on an LAX-PPT run.

3. UA scheduling and network team have changed a lot. It is literally not the same people running the show anymore. UA used to do things one way and one way only. There are schedules where UA has literally not touched in 20 years. now it seems like everything is being reconsidered, everything can be changed. I expect a more flexible network, a more seasonal network, a more opportunistic network, a network with more DOW flying, a network with more destinations where people will pay top dollars but UA traditionally has avoided.
Perhaps UA has avoided these things because they're not profitable or don't fit in with the rest of their operations. Less-than-daily flying is a niche market; heck, look at the consternation about the worthlessness of GPUs by people who don't have the flexibility to move their schedule around to accommodate availability. It's an entirely different sales paradigm.

If UA decides, yet again, to try to be everything to everyone, it's going to fail miserably, just as every airline that's tried that has done. You pick and choose your market. UA has chosen business travel as its raison d'être. I just don't see them suddenly turning into a big vacation airline, even for upmarket destinations.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
You pick and choose your market. UA has chosen business travel as its raison d'être. I just don't see them suddenly turning into a big vacation airline, even for upmarket destinations.
This is why the PPT market will be interesting to watch and see how UA handles it. I can't imagine there's a huge business market for PPT, it must be overwhelmingly leisure, certainly more so than HNL which has heavy biz travel. Maybe not some of the Central American destination. But certainly not UA's strength in the past.

Last edited by milepig; Nov 8, 2018 at 1:11 pm
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
I can't imagine there's a huge business market for PPT, it must be overwhelmingly leisure, even more so that HNL. Maybe not some of the Central American destination. But certainly not UA's strength in the past.
You'd be surprised by how much air traffic from the US Mainland - HNL is business. It is roughly the 50th largest city in the US and you have a lot of military and contractors/support staff traveling - government - staff from corporate offices going back and forth.

PPT - I've got to think near 100% tourist/families - and no biz travel
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
You'd be surprised by how much air traffic from the US Mainland - HNL is business. It is roughly the 50th largest city in the US and you have a lot of military and contractors/support staff traveling - government - staff from corporate offices going back and forth.

My post wasn't clear. Edited to indicate that HNL has high biz travel. I can't think of much reason for someone to fly to PPT for business unless they're a sarong merchant! Maybe I'm wrong. Pearls are big, but you can get a lot of those into a very small shipment. I did find this list of other industries, none terribly exciting:

Other manufactured goods include beer, sandalwood oil, sandals, and handicrafts. Food processing is also important, especially the refining of dried coconut flesh (or copra) into oil for use in vegetable oil, margarine, candles, soap, and cosmetics.

Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: 1k by marriage
Based on what you guys are saying re United, is there a chance they cancel SFO - PPT before this summer? I took the announcement of them going year-round as a good thing but who knows.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theNjR
Based on what you guys are saying re United, is there a chance they cancel SFO - PPT before this summer? I took the announcement of them going year-round as a good thing but who knows.
Not from me. They just announced the year round schedule. I think some were commenting on a LAX flight and how they tend to be announced and then fail. ASIK SFO is secure for now.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

Attending conferences in Honolulu is another reason for business travel. HCC is a very nice open air facility. Hotel can host smaller conferences, too!
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu

Attending conferences in Honolulu is another reason for business travel. HCC is a very nice open air facility. Hotel can host smaller conferences, too!
My non profit prohibits conference travel to HNL. The cost doesn’t matter, it’s the impression it sets. I know, crazy but I get it.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:32 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
This is why the PPT market will be interesting to watch and see how UA handles it. I can't imagine there's a huge business market for PPT, it must be overwhelmingly leisure, certainly more so than HNL which has heavy biz travel. Maybe not some of the Central American destination. But certainly not UA's strength in the past.
The only business market for PPT is being captured by the French carriers with government travel. Travel out of the US would be predominantly leisure - though higher spend than average. A lot of people on honeymoons and whatnot that would spring for premium class travel.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by jcamp028
The only business market for PPT is being captured by the French carriers with government travel. Travel out of the US would be predominantly leisure - though higher spend than average. A lot of people on honeymoons and whatnot that would spring for premium class travel.
chuckle for the "newly wed" and the "nearly dead".
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the end both legs were spot on time, the air was bad landing at SFO and we could smell a little smoke in the cabin while landing.

The SFO-PPT chow was what was expected. Dinner first, which was the current standard Thai Chicken (good) Pork chop or Poached salmon. “Breakfast” was a standard lunch. Raviolior or a shrimp skewer. My noodle salad was great.

The drinks flowed, no rationing on this flight!
Crew was jolly, a combination of first time in this route and some who had settled into doing it weekly. at least one had her spouse on board.

The snacks was the worst example of crew poaching I’ve ever seen. They were like locust. The cockpit crew was the worst.

Then the crew grabbed all the hitherto unmentioned mattress pads and disappeared with them, I assume to their reatbplaces.

Immigration is easy and out bags came almost immediately.

Overall, good job, and I think this route will succeed. Maybe UA will discover the SouthbPaciic more widely.

WIFI was hopeless. Speedtest showed me 0.02 Mb and in the entire flight it managed download one email header. Just the header.

Last edited by milepig; Nov 14, 2018 at 10:59 am
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....WIFI was hopeless. Speedtest showed me 0.02 Mb and in the entire flight it managed download one email header. Just the header.
Wow! Hope you got a refund if you paid for it.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jsloan
If AF can't make it work, why would UA be able to do so?
I don't know if it is still the case, but AF used to get government subsidies to fly to their DOM/TOM destinations as "essential air service". That includes Tahiti.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Got home yesterday after a two week visit flying over on the inaugural flight which was a lot of fun. Flew over in Y and return in J. They announced to the crowd at the gate that it was going to be a year round service, at the same time the press release went out. All was smooth in both directions. Only complaint I had was a FA woke me up to fasten my seat belt when I clearly already had it buckled. Very annoyed.. What makes it especially nice, I can depart from SNA and don't have to fight the TBT at LAX...
nnn likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but United is selling tickets direct through to BOB airport including the inter island Air Tahiti leg. I was able to get round trip coach from LAX to BOB for $1400 and change. It’s been confirmed and ticketed, including Air Tahiti locator/eticket.
nnn, MatthewLAX, Buzzman and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.