Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Could UA provide alternative uses for GPU/RPUs -- waiving fees for flight changes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could UA provide alternative uses for GPU/RPUs -- waiving fees for flight changes?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:30 am
Original Poster

i would love if you could use a GPU or RPU to buy up date classes on an SDC to give me flexibility to move.

i would also like if I can use a GPU to waive a change fee. Say if Im flying to EWR and i could SDC to HPN without paying a change fee since its not a shared terminal

will never happen but nice to dream...
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by jp12687
i would love if you could use a GPU or RPU to buy up date classes on an SDC to give me flexibility to move.

i would also like if I can use a GPU to waive a change fee. Say if Im flying to EWR and i could SDC to HPN without paying a change fee since its not a shared terminal

What's that saying? A snowball's chance in hell? Yeah even less than that.

UA loves GPU/RPUs because it forces us to take a chance and play their game. No lost revenue giving up a seat that potentially would have gone out empty anyways. Plus forces us to buy into a qualifying fare class. UA wins on all fronts. Many of us couldn't even use all (if any of them) for our flights.

Giving us the ability to use for change fees, that eats right into their bottom line, real revenue lost because they have to give up the fee whenever we want.

But since we're in the dream zone, I prefer to dream about my bazillions of dollars and my private jet with all suite flat beds and showers in each suite... and several models staffed at my beck and call.

I mean, if you want to dream, dream big!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jp12687

You're not asking about waiving change fees -- which might actually have a chance of happening. You're asking them to waive a fare difference, which is definitely a non-starter for any number of reasons, from the philosophical to the technical. At best, you might get them to allow you to trade a GPU for some TravelBank cash -- but I can't imagine you'd like the rate. (Example: DL choices allow a Platinum Medallion member to select 4 RPUs or a $200 travel voucher; a diamond medallion member can select 4 GPUs... or the same $200 voucher).

Any change that UA made to increase the flexibility of GPUs would involve a major trade-off somewhere else in the program. While it would benefit passengers who currently have a large number of certificates expire, it would likely be quite painful for passengers who are currently able to use them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.