FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Could UA provide alternative uses for GPU/RPUs -- waiving fees for flight changes?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:24 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jp12687
i would love if you could use a GPU or RPU to buy up date classes on an SDC to give me flexibility to move.

i would also like if I can use a GPU to waive a change fee. Say if I’m flying to EWR and i could SDC to HPN without paying a change fee since it’s not a shared terminal

will never happen but nice to dream...
You're not asking about waiving change fees -- which might actually have a chance of happening. You're asking them to waive a fare difference, which is definitely a non-starter for any number of reasons, from the philosophical to the technical. At best, you might get them to allow you to trade a GPU for some TravelBank cash -- but I can't imagine you'd like the rate. (Example: DL choices allow a Platinum Medallion member to select 4 RPUs or a $200 travel voucher; a diamond medallion member can select 4 GPUs... or the same $200 voucher).

Any change that UA made to increase the flexibility of GPUs would involve a major trade-off somewhere else in the program. While it would benefit passengers who currently have a large number of certificates expire, it would likely be quite painful for passengers who are currently able to use them.