Wiki Posts
Search

Refuse an Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Refuse an Upgrade?

I know I the answer is on the board somewhere, but searchig is not finding it.

I have PSP-LAX-EWR with an upgrade requested using a RPU. PSP-LAX cleared. Woo-hoo!
LAX-EWR looks just about full, and still a week out.

Questions: If LAX-EWR does not clear, have I used RPU for a 20 minute RJ flight?
Can I undo the cleared segment and only request the LAX-EWR segment?

I think I read once that no, this is now all a done deal, but want to confirm if that's true. Thanks!
Old May 14, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
I know I the answer is on the board somewhere, but searchig is not finding it.

I have PSP-LAX-EWR with an upgrade requested using a RPU. PSP-LAX cleared. Woo-hoo!
LAX-EWR looks just about full, and still a week out.

Questions: If LAX-EWR does not clear, have I used RPU for a 20 minute RJ flight?
Can I undo the cleared segment and only request the LAX-EWR segment?

I think I read once that no, this is now all a done deal, but want to confirm if that's true. Thanks!
If any segment of a RPU clears then you've used the whole instrument. I'm not sure if you can undo it now.

In the future you can call in and apply the RPU to the long leg (you have to do it on the phone), and once that clears you can call back and have them apply it to the short leg too.
Old May 14, 2017, 10:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
... Can I undo the cleared segment and only request the LAX-EWR segment? ....
Downgrading a clear segment may be possible.

Prior to day of travel, to downgrade, your original fare class needs to be available. If it is, the downgrade can be processed. If the original fare class is not available, that you may have to pay a fare differential.

On day of travel, most GA will handle the request if there is any economy space available -- do this as soon as the GA becomes available. Note the seat selection my be rather limited.

As mentioned, it is best (especially for a low probability PS segment) to only request the longer segment to start with. This can only be done on the phone.

If the short segment had not cleared, any phone agent should be able to remove the request.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
A question about canceling upgrades:

PVG-EWR waitlisted, EWR-BOS cleared using GPU, booked in W Class.

Interestingly, EWR-BOS shows original booking class W0. But as through fare, if we search PVG-EWR-BOS, then it shows W9 across the board.

Is it possible to downgrade EWR-BOS and get GPU back?
Old May 14, 2017, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kb1992
Since W is available on the throgh fare, it should work.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
A question about canceling upgrades:

PVG-EWR waitlisted, EWR-BOS cleared using GPU, booked in W Class.

Interestingly, EWR-BOS shows original booking class W0. But as through fare, if we search PVG-EWR-BOS, then it shows W9 across the board.

It should be possible, as mahasamatman said. As an aside, if PVG-EWR doesn't clear, you'd get the GPU back anyway, so the only reason to remove the certificate is if you are no longer interested in the TPAC upgrade.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Downgrading a clear segment may be possible.

Prior to day of travel, to downgrade, your original fare class needs to be available. If it is, the downgrade can be processed. If the original fare class is not available, that you may have to pay a fare differential.

On day of travel, most GA will handle the request if there is any economy space available -- do this as soon as the GA becomes available. Note the seat selection my be rather limited.

As mentioned, it is best (especially for a low probability PS segment) to only request the longer segment to start with. This can only be done on the phone.

If the short segment had not cleared, any phone agent should be able to remove the request.
Thank you. One SFo 1k learns from another. Think since I'm a 2MM and you're almost there, I should know this stuff. Guess I shouldn't feel like its too much of a waste, since they often expire on me since nothing ever clears.....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Refuse an Upgrade?

I've got an upcoming trip coming up with someone where we're flying LAX-IAH-LGA. I have 2 RPUs and since this will likely be the last trip of the year I thought I'd apply them here. The person I'm traveling with isn't super keen on flying and I'd like us to be in the same cabin. This person has only been on a plane a few times and only in economy so it would be nice for them if I could get us moved to first class, but I'd rather we both sit in economy than only have one of us get upgraded. Can I refuse an upgrade if only 1 clears?

For whatever it's worth we're flying back EWR-LAX in business class as I had some miles to spare and people that rarely fly seem to enjoy lie-flat seats when they think we're flying economy.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by catbox9
I've got an upcoming trip coming up with someone where we're flying LAX-IAH-LGA. I have 2 RPUs and since this will likely be the last trip of the year I thought I'd apply them here. The person I'm traveling with isn't super keen on flying and I'd like us to be in the same cabin. This person has only been on a plane a few times and only in economy so it would be nice for them if I could get us moved to first class, but I'd rather we both sit in economy than only have one of us get upgraded. Can I refuse an upgrade if only 1 clears?

For whatever it's worth we're flying back EWR-LAX in business class as I had some miles to spare and people that rarely fly seem to enjoy lie-flat seats when they think we're flying economy.
Yes, you can refuse them. I did last week when I got upgraded from row 21 on an A320 to seat 1A. At 6 2' i'd rather sit in coach
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
Yes, you can refuse them. I did last week when I got upgraded from row 21 on an A320 to seat 1A. At 6 2' i'd rather sit in coach
But if in the meantime if they give your coach seat to someone else, will you be able to get it back again or will you be stuck in a middle seat in the last row?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
But if in the meantime if they give your coach seat to someone else, will you be able to get it back again or will you be stuck in a middle seat in the last row?
That is a possibility if you get upgraded at the window or at the gate. (It has only happened to me on board and I say I don't want to move up.) You can always call and get it back quickly enough if the former, or ask the gate agent to take you off the list in the case of the latter especially if you and your companion are far apart on the list and it looks like only one will clear.

My suggestion if you are traveling with someone is put the non-elite person in the aisle or whatever the more desirable coach seat is, so yours will be less likely to filled if you get upgraded and want to downgrade.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
That's my main concern.

Right now LAX-IAH has 10/16 first class seats empty and IAH-LGA has 7/16 empty (but E+ has only 7 seats filled ).

It would be nice to actually get some use out of an instrument at some point, but as a platinum upgrades of any sort are pretty few and far between these days. The flight is in 20 days so we shall see...

Of course I could always buy up to first right now for $709/person with 6 seats available on each segment When I originally bought these tickets a week or so ago I could have paid less than $709/person in first so I'm not sure why they think I would pay that now (plus the original cost of the E tickets).
EDIT: I just checked and I can buy these exact flights from United right now for $503/person in first. Why would I pay more than that to upgrade it rather than just buy them from scratch if I wanted first that bad?

Last edited by catbox9; Oct 3, 2017 at 1:37 pm
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Are you on the same PNR? Wouldn't they clear together or not at all (at least until day of flight)?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by catbox9
EDIT: I just checked and I can buy these exact flights from United right now for $503/person in first. Why would I pay more than that to upgrade it rather than just buy them from scratch if I wanted first that bad?
Perhaps your employer wouldn't pay for more than a coach ticket, but you really want to upgrade yourself (and by "you" I mean the hypothetical person UA is targeting).
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
Are you on the same PNR? Wouldn't they clear together or not at all (at least until day of flight)?
We are on the same PNR. I'm not sure how upgrades work because I haven't tried to apply an instrument for a companion in years back when I was 1K and had GPUs to use internationally.

Originally Posted by drewguy
Perhaps your employer wouldn't pay for more than a coach ticket, but you really want to upgrade yourself (and by "you" I mean the hypothetical person UA is targeting).
Even if I was that hypothetical person, why wouldn't I just buy the first class ticket outright and not even bother having my employer buy me a ticket at all? I've never had a job where my employer flew me anywhere, but I can't imagine any employer would force you to make them buy you a ticket and force you to fly on it rather than paying for something else out of your own pocket - particularly if it's on the same flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.