Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL One vs. UA ps

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:31 am

Sorry to hear the DL food wasn't up to par anymore. UA tends to to better with main courses, less with the apps - but will get the same menu on DL in a couple weeks and will take the lamb with caution.

For a few years DL was pretty hands down a nicer experience on this route - largely via the soft product and flight attendants.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Just completed DL One RT SFO-JFK. 752 outbound, 764 return. Key points of comparison:

Ground experience. DL wins this one pretty easily at both SFO and JFK. SFO SkyClub is one of the better domestic lounges operated by any airline, certainly way better than the UA options, especially given current situation at SFO. DL also wins at JFK. SkyPriority check-in is a completely separate area, carpeted, calm, and very stylish. We breezed through. TSA Pre took about five minutes. Everything was very organized, unlike EWR chaos. T4 SkyClub was crowded, but still miles better than UCs at EWR.

Hard Product. For me, DL wins here, too. The 752 cabin was in much better condition than UA's. My GF remarked that UA's aircraft seem "shabby" by comparison. The DL 764 is a mixed bag. Thompson Vantage is not a great seat, especially the way DL has the tray table configured. It's narrower than either UA J seat, but it is direct aisle access. So if flying alone, a single window is probably better than any UA option. Caveat . . . these seats may be uncomfortably tight if you're tall or wide.

Food. Surprising win for UA. The DL food sucked. Dinner on the return (some horrible looking lamb thing) was inedible.

Service. DL crew on outbound was one of the best crews I've ever had on any airline. On the inbound, they reminded me of one of the "vintage" UA crews . . . service competent but perfunctory, certainly no warm and fuzzies. Slight, but notable advantage DL.

Overall verdict. For me, DL wins based on clear superiority on the ground at both SFO and JFK.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I've all but abandoned ps these days, but I check in from time to time. I have an upcoming BOS-SFO, so let's see how things are going. D1 has gone strange with the food. They are trying to be too creative and it is backfiring.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I've all but abandoned ps these days, but I check in from time to time. I have an upcoming BOS-SFO, so let's see how things are going. D1 has gone strange with the food. They are trying to be too creative and it is backfiring.
I 100% agree on the DeltaOne food, it has gone down hill. But I think the "strange" is just them trying to cover up for a lower budget. E.g. They used to have smoked salmon as an appitizer. Yet that probably cost 15 cents more than some weirdo grain thingy they now serve.

Same with the Delta wine. It used to be hands down much better than the crap United serves on PS, but now it is just better by some.

I think Delta is making a big mistake looking at the premium catering budget as a place to cut. They are making the same mistake Jeffie made c2012, just not to the same scale of cuts.

It is a highly competitive market.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spin88
I 100% agree on the DeltaOne food, it has gone down hill. But I think the "strange" is just them trying to cover up for a lower budget.
That was my takeaway, both from my D1 flights and recent MSP-SFO in F. The basic problem was cheap ingredients.

It is odd, because DL otherwise strives so hard to make you feel they're offering a premium product. UA execs should be required to tour SkyPriority check-in at JFK and see how nicely this can be done for elites below the GS level.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
The likelihood that PS business pax are gonna get Polaris Lounge access in EWR, LAX, SFO, BOS is exceedingly small.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by physioprof
The likelihood that PS business pax are gonna get Polaris Lounge access in EWR, LAX, SFO, BOS is exceedingly small.
BOS won't get a Polaris Lounge, and at least for LAX and EWR, there's no way the spaces they have designated could handle the TCON premium traffic on top of the international J travel.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I don't doubt you are correct, but then if I fly Delta I get very nice lounges with showers on each end, and on United I get a crappy UC (further crapified as J passangers move to the "Polaris" lounge) and no showers.

Bottom line, United does not appear to want my $2400+ and I'm not gonna give it to them.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I don't doubt you are correct, but then if I fly Delta I get very nice lounges with showers on each end, and on United I get a crappy UC (further crapified as J passangers move to the "Polaris" lounge) and no showers.

Bottom line, United does not appear to want my $2400+ and I'm not gonna give it to them.
And if I fly AA, I would get access to their Flagship Lounges and get showers and nice Flagship buffet on both ends. Plus on AA, if I buy J, I can upgrade further to F, but if I buy J on DL or UA, there’s no higher cabin to go to.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:13 am

I think the comparison between SkyClubs and United Clubs is fairly subjective, excepting showers.

There are nice SkyClubs, particularly if you're flying to SEA and JFK ex-SFO, and there are overcrowded, unpleasant SkyClubs (LAX, many in the big hubs). Conversely, there are nicer United Clubs, including SEA and LAX. It's a transitory period for UCs in SFO right now, which is certainly a valid reason to avoid United.

Also, if you need to shower before and after domestic flights, Delta will probably be a better fit.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fly18725
there are overcrowded, unpleasant SkyClubs (LAX, many in the big hubs). Conversely, there are nicer United Clubs, including SEA and LAX.
UA definitely wins at SAN. The SkyClubs at SLC and MSP are as bad as the UCs at SFO or EWR (except the staff is nicer).

But at SFO it's a big DL advantage.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:15 am

But at SFO it's a big DL advantage.
No disagreement there.

The clubs at an airport that is an outstation for one airline and a hub for another will always be impacted by very different levels of usage. Even if you build out a great physical space, it can be harder to run a nice club at your hub when it is inundated with people.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
but if I buy J on DL or UA, there’s no higher cabin to go to.
Not necessarily true - UA still has 3-class F on some aircraft, still... correct?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Not necessarily true - UA still has 3-class F on some aircraft, still... correct?
True, but the discussion was in the context of transcon flights. AA has regularly scheduled 3-class on the coast to coast routines, the others don't (UA has an occasional 3-class on some domestic routes but all AA SFO-JFK are 3-class).
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:42 pm

Personally I find the JFK Delta experience hyped. Invariably crowded lounge, long hike to get to it. The 'food' setup is like a black friday sale - people bumping into each other for junk. Really poorly planned restroom capacity and layout - not close to enough stalls for a lounge of that size.

SFO Delta lounge much nicer - and shorter walk.

With United offering 14 nonstops and Delta 7 - I find both viable options - both can be improved.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Overall verdict. For me, DL wins based on clear superiority on the ground at both SFO and JFK.
Interesting how two of your complaints against UA is mostly due to their current inferior position in the business cycle. Their 757 interiors were installed earlier than DL's, and currently both the SFO and EWR UC situations are at their worst. The cycle is changing as we speak.

I'm thinking there's at least a fair chance they will grant access.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
BOS won't get a Polaris Lounge, and at least for LAX and EWR, there's no way the spaces they have designated could handle the TCON premium traffic on top of the international J travel.
Current Polaris Lounge demand is highly varied throughout the day. The challenge is to accommodate everyone in the narrow banks of long-haul flights. I looked at EWR, which has the most P.S. service, and P.S. service demand under the current schedule will largely be at times when international service is low to non-existent. There's only about a handful of P.S. departures during the evening Europe rush, contributing just a fraction of overall potential demand (UA only adding 2-3 more widebodies to Europe would be the same amount of potential traffic - that's going to happen numerous times over the years). The arrival side has more flights in that peak range, about 8, but arrival demand is undoubtedly less, and some of them would be connecting to an international flight and be eligible for the club anyway. I see it being very possible at the EWR end.

On the SFO end, the Asian rush isn't avoided by P.S. service, but again we're only talking a few flights. Overall it's a small portion of overall potential demand.

LAX shouldn't be an issue with the light and varied international schedule and with the partner lounges already there.

The bottom line is that if UA wants to, there's no reason to restrict Polaris access to P.S. customers. They don't have a space excuse.

Originally Posted by fly18725
I think the comparison between SkyClubs and United Clubs is fairly subjective, excepting showers.

Also, if you need to shower before and after domestic flights, Delta will probably be a better fit.
You know, if people only read this forum they might think DL has showers everywhere in their clubs. Interesting how a niche amenity only available in a small portion of DL clubs gets so much talk. There are only 8 Sky Clubs with showers. MSP has none (along with hubs/focus cities LGA, SLC, CVG, BOS, RDU, and MCO). DTW just one. JFK and LAX each just one and sometimes not in terminal you fly from/to. ATL just two, and their newest club built there lacks them, throwing into question their future plans for showers. If you want a shower at a DL club, you have to be in the right airport and selective to which club to visit. That's a far cry from what it's portrayed as on this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.