Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL One vs. UA ps

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
try out DL. The lounges in JFK are a lot better than UA's offerings. In flight I find them similar with Delta having better wines and IMO more consistent service. Seat is the same IMO.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Does the departure time mean anything to you? I would do absolutely anything to avoid a redeye of less than 8 hours block time, unless I'm arriving and going to sleep anyway in which case it's not a real redeye (just did HNL-SFO arr 5am and went straight to bed until noon).
We've done it quite a few times. The last departure is not bad (12:50 a.m., with a 9:15 am arrival), except Andaz 5th is usually not able to get us into our room until late afternoon (damn late Globalist check-outs ). But a shower at EWR on arrival is really key, so this is now a big UA negative.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Just to clarify, UA would be the late night redeye eastbound on the 28J 752; DL would be an early morning (nonredeye) on their 752.
Not taking the redeye is worth a decent amount to me.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by minnyfly
I've flown D1 JFK-SFO three times recently, getting the 767 every time (had one 757 swapped for a 767). Except for aisle access, which isn't a factor in your case, the Vantage 767 seat sucks. Definitely in the running for the worst flat-bed seat. It is a coffin (I'm 5'10" and average build). Tight around the torso. Small footwells. Hard to sleep. Bare-bones furnishings that are now well-worn (like floppy tray tables). Outdated IFE hardware. No privacy. Very little storage space. And it's simply uncomfortable in most positions. DL's cheap leather coverings don't help at all. And you know the 757 seat well, so yeah, there's your DL choices. Sure, it's miles better than Y, but that's not what you're paying for.
I have had one round trip SFO-JFK in D1 within the last year, 757 out and 767 back, and my experience with the seat was quite similar to yours, I did not like it - at all. The D1 757 seat was the worst lie-flat I have flown (which is not a large set but still..). The bed was hard, tight, and the footwell cramped. The 767 was slightly better because it was not as hard a bed as the 757. I made up my mind after that trip to not fly D1 again unless it was significantly cheaper than the competition.

The D1 food was significantly better than the UA food from a couple of years ago and the service was better too but I would not touch the D1 seat again unless the flight price, route, or times outweighed the poor seat. I like JFK but not enough to fly D1 again. Next time it's either UA to EWR or AA to JFK for me.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
We've done it quite a few times. The last departure is not bad (12:50 a.m., with a 9:15 am arrival), except Andaz 5th is usually not able to get us into our room until late afternoon (damn late Globalist check-outs ). But a shower at EWR on arrival is really key, so this is now a big UA negative.
The NJT train from EWR to Penn Station drops you off in walking distance from the Andaz, and is more comfortable (and sometimes faster) than a cab from JFK.

If you try out DL, doing a status match to platinum could help with the RDM part of the equation you mentioned in the first post.

Do UA lifetime miles matter much to you?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by getagb
That is a BIG mistake I made in the 90s. I am a 1.7 mm on UA, but at one time I flirted with DL for a few years - gaining 500,000 miles, but no lasting status. If I had stuck with UA, I would be a 2mm+.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The NJT train from EWR to Penn Station drops you off in walking distance from the Andaz, and is more comfortable (and sometimes faster) than a cab from JFK.

Walk from Penn Station to 5th and 41st with luggage? My GF would not speak to me the rest of the trip. I've also found NJT less than reliable. Uber has worked well for us from EWR.

Not at 1.1M and no chance of making 3M.

I have contemplated a DL status match though not sure I'd make much use of it as UA and *A continue to work pretty well for me most of the time.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic
New UA Club in SFO is not too bad and not too crowded.
The new SFO UC is almost always crowded IME.

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
From a hard product standpoint, I rate UA 772 > DL 767 > DL 757 = UA 757, assuming you can get window+aisle seats. Considering it's a red-eye, I'd put more emphasis on the hard product, and although the density on UA's 772 is high, the seats are quite comfortable for sleeping (as you know).

However, if you haven't flown DL much, sometimes it's fun to experience and compare another airline.
If sleep is your goal, pick the UA 772. If consistent good service is your goal, go with DL.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:21 pm

The IPTE 777 C seats are indeed the best for sleeping.

Delta's 767 Vantage seats are awful. Cheap leather, and you sleep about an inch from the floor. Combine that with the fact you have plastic closing around all sides of you (plastic coffin), and you have the worst direct aisle access seat there is, in my opinion.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:51 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
No-one pointing out you can fly UA Polaris seat on 77W p.s. these days? One daily flight on most days.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by helvetic
No-one pointing out you can fly UA Polaris seat on 77W p.s. these days? One daily flight on most days.
Not on either day of scheduled travel (Nov. 4/7).
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:59 pm

I swing between both on my trips.

Try out DL for a change on one leg.

Delta tends to feel more 'special' in flight - food is better presented though UA often ends up tasting as good or better, just with more clumsy presentation.

Wine is much better on Delta.

But beware the precheck / priority lines at T4 JFK, plus the extra long slog to the gate and club. Lines can be 20 minutes plus.

You'll find the Delta passengers to be a little more stylish looking on these routes - more of the creative types.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:25 pm

For most NYC travellers, I think the key factor should be which airport is easiest to get from to wherever you are staying/visiting in NY.

For example, I thought that the PATH train would be an easy way to get from EWR to Manhattan. For me -- I go to midtown Manhattan. But, now I see that one has to take the Airlink (?) train to Newark's train station, then the Path Train to Journal Square or Grove Street, then get off and change to the "other" Path train that runs to Herald Square (34th Street) in Manhattan. That's two transfers just to get to midtown Manhattan. Since I stay on West 44th Street, I then have to transfer to the subway (B/D lines) to get to where I stay.

This runaround is simpler if you are staying near the WTC. But, staying in midtown, public transport to midtown from EWR requires a lot of schlepping. Is it better than JFK? Hard to say.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
For sure, and I love Woodford, but as a Scotch drinker (with the occasional bourbon as necessary) the Glenfarclas + Buffalo Trace combo is a winner for me...
At the same time?
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
If you go Delta, def have to share some pics and experiences here!

*Why not AA in there, they have a pretty good business product on their A321t's and the JFK AA lounge just got a remodel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.