Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL One vs. UA ps

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
DL One vs. UA ps

Title says it all.

Flying SFO-NYC in November. Of course there is zero R space, so this will be purchased J. DL and UA price exactly the same (B6 considerably pricier). DL would be 752/763, while UA would be 752/772A. Been disappointed with physical condition of the UA 752s my last several flights. Two pax, so the UA IPTE seat on the 772A would be okay.

I don't need UA PQM or PQD. I'll take a 50%+ hit on RDM without DL status. Staying midtown, so JFK slightly more convenient.

Skyclubs I assume will be much better than UCs at both ends. And have always preferred JFK to EWR. Wondering if that, plus any hard/soft product differences will make up for the lost RDM.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Is there a question somewhere in there, or are you just letting us know why your are flying Delta?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
DL One catering and wine program have been quietly trimmed a bit, and recent changes to the UA premium transcon catering are an improvement, in my book. UA/DL are closer here than before. As a Goose Island and Scotch drinker (not at the same time), UA IMO has better beer and liquor, while I still give DL a strong edge in wine.

In my experience, DL 767s are comparable to the UA 757s in terms of wear-and-tear. In other words, starting to show some age. DL 757s are a bit more newly reconfigured, but it's the same seat as UA. I like that DL doesn't have a raised headrest... better for sleeping.

I find DL entertainment is generally better than UA. DL also has a nicer amenity kit, but the UA kit has the essentials.

UA has a much better schedule but the (interim) EWR lounge situation is not good.

I think it all comes down to airport. If EWR works for you, or is more convenient than JFK, the UA schedule and overall better FF program make United a solid pick. If JFK is markedly easier, DL or B6 is a no-brainer.

I believe the premium transcon inflight product is one thing UA gets right, at the moment, pending more cost cuts.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jgsx
Is there a question somewhere in there, or are you just letting us know why your are flying Delta?
Well based on reputation, the answer does seem obvious, but I rarely fly Delta so interested in hearing from folks with recent 1st hand experience if that's really the case. Also not at all familiar with DL's hard product (apart from knowing the seat types generally).

Originally Posted by EWR764
EWR lounge situation is not good.

I think it all comes down to airport. If EWR works for you, or is more convenient than JFK, the UA schedule and overall better FF program make United a solid pick. If JFK is markedly easier, DL or B6 is a no-brainer.
That's where I've been leaning . . . not so much a win for DL as a lose for EWR, particularly with the lounges. We'd be taking the UA red-eye, but I don't believe there are showers available at EWR any more.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
DL One catering and wine program have been quietly trimmed a bit, and recent changes to the UA premium transcon catering are an improvement, in my book. UA/DL are closer here than before. As a Goose Island and Scotch drinker (not at the same time), UA IMO has better beer and liquor, while I still give DL a strong edge in wine....

DL does serve Woodford Reserve. ^
kettle1 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by transportprof
DL does serve Woodford Reserve. ^
For sure, and I love Woodford, but as a Scotch drinker (with the occasional bourbon as necessary) the Glenfarclas + Buffalo Trace combo is a winner for me...
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:07 pm

fly DL, xJFK-NAS/SJU/BDA
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I would take the DL on the 763 unless you can get on a UA 77W. All aisle access (vs. the 757s for both which are 2-2 and the 77A which is 2-4-2, even if you are traveling with a companion). The one downside of the 763 is it has much smaller screens vs both the UA and DL 757s which have newer, crisper, larger IFE screens so if you value that, that would eliminate the 763. The 757s are a bit more of the toss-up, I think the faux leather that DL uses on their 757s is a bit worn down padding wise and can get hot depending on what you wear on the longer flights compared to UA's cloth but the soft product of DL is better than the soft product of UA. In all instances I recommend the bulkhead for the bigger footwells.

The soft product I think DL does a better job with catering and think the T4 JFK SkyClub is better than any UC you'll encounter on the trip though I haven't been to the SFO SC so can't compare that.

Plus Woodford has a slight edge over Buffalo Trace for me though I can see either side of that debate.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Another (small) thing to consider - in case of IRROPS, being 1K on UA can mean getting help faster. Thinking about this since I've recently been very happy with the support I've been getting from the 1K desk. To be fair, DL has better ops so probably will just run on time

But at the end of the day, the experience on the plane is awfully similar. If flying in/out of JFK versus EWR prompts any kind of an emotional response I would pick your preferred NYC airport. Personally to midtown I find them both awful and would probably go with UA just for the RDM, but any distinction here is pretty tiny. If you're planning on any lounge time though, advantage to DL.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
If price being equal, I'll take the fewer RDMs in exchange for the Tumi kit. I'm using the one from JL (not the same) on a daily basis these days, and loving it.

But I think you've already made up your mind about this regardless.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Unless you are chasing DL miles don't forget you can credit the DL flights to other places especially FlyingBlue or VS. I think FlyingBlue earns 125%+ on most D1 TCON fares and VS is similar. Both can be further supplemented with various CC points or SPG too so they won't be orphaned if you don't have more DL flights on the horizon.

Could also book DL through consolidator (Chase, AMEX, others) to make it an exception fare though I'm not sure who reliably issues tickets (no real experience with that)
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well based on reputation, the answer does seem obvious, but I rarely fly Delta so interested in hearing from folks with recent 1st hand experience if that's really the case. Also not at all familiar with DL's hard product (apart from knowing the seat types generally).
Not to be snarky, but why don't you post this question on the Delta board? Probably more familiarity there about DL service.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I agree the catering on DL has taken a hit, but still better (particularly the wine, by a lot) than Ua. DL seats on the 763 are vantage. I like the seat, much better than the sua itpe seat on the 772hd. Issue is length (only advantage of the itpe seat) and that will not be an issue for you. Agree on the screen being smaller. If you get a 757 it is the same between UA and DL.

Both sfo and t4 sky clubs are very nice, both have showers. For me at least the sky clubs would be the deciding factor if JFK is more convienent.

Try it and report back.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by seenitall
Not to be snarky, but why don't you post this question on the Delta board? Probably more familiarity there about DL service.
Presumably, you'd lose the expertise on the UA product on the DL board, so either way, you give up posters' familiarity with one/other. OP is potentially giving up some advantages and familiarity flying as a UA Premier, so it would make sense OP would ask UA flyers who've flown DL if it's worth giving up what UA provides to fly DL, giving price is same.

Is priority meal choice necessary on DL or do they have pre-ordering or "less efficient" (i.e. More meals than seats) catering.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 9, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:28 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
New UA Club in SFO is not too bad and not too crowded. Also, there's the Centurion.

I'd recommend flying B6, especially if they're cheaper. The B6 Mint product is superior to anything else domestically, imo.

For sure, and I love Woodford, but as a Scotch drinker (with the occasional bourbon as necessary) the Glenfarclas + Buffalo Trace combo is a winner for me...
Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone about Buffalo Trace please. I have a tendency to drink every bottle they have onboard on most of my UA flights. They don't tend to stock more than 2 per galley.

--

I'm looking at SFO EWR next week. They're running 77Ws with Polaris seats, so that'll be my first choice!

Last edited by helvetic; Sep 9, 2017 at 7:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.