Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL One vs. UA ps

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:17 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by tuolumne
So are we still calling this UA p.s., or UA CCC?
Someone remind me what CCC is even supposed to stand for?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 3:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by helvetic
Someone remind me what CCC is even supposed to stand for?
"Cross Country Comfort" a phrase UA used in the initial press release, haven't seen it since

UA does not seem to have created a formal branding of this service -- There were rumors that something related to "Coast" was going to be used but for now it appears UA just calls it "Premium transcontinental service"

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 11, 2017 at 3:46 pm Reason: links
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
"Cross Country Comfort" a phrase UA used in the initial press release, haven't seen it since

UA does not seem to have created a formal branding of this service -- There were rumors that something related to "Coast" was going to be used but for now it appears UA just calls it "Premium transcontinental service"
p.t.s. appears to be what United seems to have settled on:

David
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Honestly the acronyms and names are horrible. Coast would have been fine to match Polaris. I still feel like Global Services is a product from FedEx or DHL.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
"Premium transcontinental" is really just a descriptive, not a trademarked brand.

Maybe they planned to call it Polaris, but pulled back because of the lounge situation.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by DELee
p.t.s. appears to be what United seems to have settled on:

David
Off topic, but which promo was that?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I'd like to know too… I want 10k miles!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
"Premium transcontinental" is really just a descriptive, not a trademarked brand.

Maybe they planned to call it Polaris, but pulled back because of the lounge situation.
FA on today's flight had a script saying "premium transcontinental service" in regards to E+ getting a meal.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by djmp
Off topic, but which promo was that?
Originally Posted by helvetic
I'd like to know too… I want 10k miles!
For those who've been flying this route and missed it, here's the FT thread for the RDM bonuses for flying in J:

Premium Transcon RDM promo - LAX-EWR, SFO-EWR & SFO-BOS thru 31 Oct 2017 {targeted}

For the Ts&Cs and the offer web page, here's a link to my post from that thread.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
FA on today's flight had a script saying "premium transcontinental service" in regards to E+ getting a meal.
Just to confirm where the airline is at, here's a monitor shot from EWR in July describing p.t.s. services in "Economy".

David
Attached Images  
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just following up, thanks everyone for the comments . . . I went with DL and will report back after the flights.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by DELee
p.t.s. appears to be what United seems to have settled on...
Well I think they're really close. How about p.t.s.d.?

Or if you're on one of the high density 777s from BOS, it could just be p.o.s (that's Premium Other Side of course)
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:28 pm

I flew Polaris p.s. today. It was great. Wouldn't fly anything else.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I flew both of these transcons J (LAX-JFK) on my way and back from Europe in July. Silver on United and no status on Delta. Some observations:

1. The Delta plane was old and the service was about the same as AA transcon J which I have used many times.
2. The Delta lounge in LAX sucked.
3. Delta ground service was a disaster and sent people running from one terminal to another. The terminal shift had completed but the staff were very poorly informed and sent passengers running around without checking with their bosses. Nearly missed my flight because of this.
4. Both flights were on time.
5 EWR lounge was good and even though the service was a little slow.
6. United service was excellent and the FA's apologized profusely for the stuck window shade.
7. I also liked the flatbeds on United better than Delta's flatbed.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Just completed DL One RT SFO-JFK. 752 outbound, 764 return. Key points of comparison:

Ground experience. DL wins this one pretty easily at both SFO and JFK. SFO SkyClub is one of the better domestic lounges operated by any airline, certainly way better than the UA options, especially given current situation at SFO. DL also wins at JFK. SkyPriority check-in is a completely separate area, carpeted, calm, and very stylish. We breezed through. TSA Pre took about five minutes. Everything was very organized, unlike EWR chaos. T4 SkyClub was crowded, but still miles better than UCs at EWR.

Hard Product. For me, DL wins here, too. The 752 cabin was in much better condition than UA's. My GF remarked that UA's aircraft seem "shabby" by comparison. The DL 764 is a mixed bag. Thompson Vantage is not a great seat, especially the way DL has the tray table configured. It's narrower than either UA J seat, but it is direct aisle access. So if flying alone, a single window is probably better than any UA option. Caveat . . . these seats may be uncomfortably tight if you're tall or wide.

Food. Surprising win for UA. The DL food sucked. Dinner on the return (some horrible looking lamb thing) was inedible.

Service. DL crew on outbound was one of the best crews I've ever had on any airline. On the inbound, they reminded me of one of the "vintage" UA crews . . . service competent but perfunctory, certainly no warm and fuzzies. Slight, but notable advantage DL.

Overall verdict. For me, DL wins based on clear superiority on the ground at both SFO and JFK.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Just completed DL One RT SFO-JFK. 752 outbound, 764 return. Key points of comparison:

Ground experience. DL wins this one pretty easily at both SFO and JFK. SFO SkyClub is one of the better domestic lounges operated by any airline, certainly way better than the UA options, especially given current situation at SFO. DL also wins at JFK. SkyPriority check-in is a completely separate area, carpeted, calm, and very stylish. We breezed through. TSA Pre took about five minutes. Everything was very organized, unlike EWR chaos. T4 SkyClub was crowded, but still miles better than UCs at EWR.

Hard Product. For me, DL wins here, too. The 752 cabin was in much better condition than UA's. My GF remarked that UA's aircraft seem "shabby" by comparison. The DL 764 is a mixed bag. Thompson Vantage is not a great seat, especially the way DL has the tray table configured. It's narrower than either UA J seat, but it is direct aisle access. So if flying alone, a single window is probably better than any UA option. Caveat . . . these seats may be uncomfortably tight if you're tall or wide.

Food. Surprising win for UA. The DL food sucked. Dinner on the return (some horrible looking lamb thing) was inedible.

Service. DL crew on outbound was one of the best crews I've ever had on any airline. On the inbound, they reminded me of one of the "vintage" UA crews . . . service competent but perfunctory, certainly no warm and fuzzies. Slight, but notable advantage DL.

Overall verdict. For me, DL wins based on clear superiority on the ground at both SFO and JFK.
That generally mirrors my experience...That said

Once SFO figures out lounge situation, DL probably still wins here - even though it is a united hub just due to crowding - unless Polaris lounge is offered for business class coast to coast

EWR - same - unless Polaris lounge is offered, JFK clubs in general, not to mention the beautiful skydeck DL lounge will beat the ever living stuffing out of EWR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.