Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

got ejected from my exit aisle seat(777) because arm has a quarter-size bruise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

got ejected from my exit aisle seat(777) because arm has a quarter-size bruise

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by satman40
Quit complaining about a bruise,

He made a big deal out of it,,

Do you honestly think the OP is just "complaining about a bruise" and "making a big deal out of it?"

as219, IndyHoosier and Two Bee like this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by minnyfly
Okay....Because your original post said she was talking to another FA--not the one who asked you to move. And you also said you watched this conversation, not overheard the conversation such to clearly hear what they were talking about. Why not say that right away?

If what you're saying is true, write in and complain. Keep the filler out of it. Stick only to what's important. But since your story is so strange, rambles, and doesn't follow the tracks, I find it very hard to believe in its entirety.
So rambling stories are untrue? It is actually much more likely a straight-to-the-point story is untrue, as real life rambles.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by spin88
Thanks..I do remember that now, .but didn't that turn out to be much to do about nothing where some busybody started tweeting without getting all the facts.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Martina70
Thanks..I do remember that now, .but didn't that turn out to be much to do about nothing where some busybody started tweeting without getting all the facts.
Yep -- both of these cases seem to boil down to "nonrevs should know better", and "working employees should know better".

The nonrev legging wearers should know their dress code and not have to be told, and the nonrev exit seat stealer here should know that wasn't at all appropriate and should have insisted at least that another able-bodied aisle passenger be swapped in instead of them.

The agent handling the leggings wearers should have been more discreet so the paying passengers who aren't subject to the same dress rules wouldn't be confused or embarrassed by being in earshot, like any other internal personnel matter. And, of course, the FA in this case shouldn't have made up an excuse to swap her friend into the OP's seat, and if she did have a real safety concern should have ensured the OP, a paying customer, got the best possible alternate seat.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, UA staff behaved correctly in the leggings incident: the teenagers were flying nonrev and UA's nonrev dress code forbids Lycra. Unfortunately, the media didn't understand that no one had been trying to impose dress standards on paying (revenue) customers and tried to blow it into some nonsense about respecting women's rights not to be ashamed of their bodies. <my summary in my own words of the issues as I recall the reporting at the time, but I'm sure others would phrase this differently>
Ummm you kinda missed the point. The FAs may have followed policy but pretty much everyone (including Oscar IIRC) said the policy was idiotic. Lycra is not offensive to the vast majority of passengers (or to any?) - and I expect UA will enter the 21st century sooner rather than later
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
Well, I believe there are 24000 FAs, so 0.01% is still 240 of them. Also, know you can get fired doesn't mean you don't do it. What percentage of these types of incidents go unreported. I bet the average passenger will just believe whatever a FA says. They may be unhappy, maybe they'll never fly UA again. I bet an even smaller percentage can determine who a non-rev is and who is not. Many of us on FT can't even tell the difference.
Math check!

240 is 1% of 24,000.

Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
I don't think there's really a reason for me to write a complaint to UA. What would be the benefit for me if my complaint cause the FA to be disciplined or worse, lose her job? It's not like she threatened me personally or dragged me out of my seat physically. I believe in karma and maybe she'll get what she deserves some other day. I don't wish to be the cause of her losing her job. What if she has three little kids to feed at home or something? I think ranting about it here is as far as I'll go.
Which is why such things continue.
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 3, 2017 at 2:19 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by fastair
Not that these numbers quoted are real, but 24,000 * 1% is 240. 24,000*.01% is 2.4, not 240.
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Math check!

240 is 1% of 24,000.

Which is why such things continue.
I apologize for my arithmetic mistake.

Ignoring the rest of my post, there are clearly only 2.4 FA's who are unaware they can get fired for these shenanigans.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
I apologize for my arithmetic mistake.

Ignoring the rest of my post, there are clearly only 2.4 FA's who are unaware they can get fired for these shenanigans.
Or they are aware and it is like violators in the carpool lane. They think they will never get caught even though they know it is wrong.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Baze
Or they are aware and it is like violators in the carpool lane. They think they will never get caught even though they know it is wrong.
Exactly, that is what I tried to say in the rest of my post. Knowing you can get fired doesn't mean you don't do it. What percentage of these types of incidents go unreported. I bet the average passenger will just believe whatever a FA says. They may be unhappy, maybe they'll never fly UA again. I bet an even smaller percentage can determine who a non-rev is and who is not. Many of us on FT can't even tell the difference.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
My policy is NEVER to move seats for any reason without a new boarding pass being issued.
I saw that work beautifully the other day. Just before the door was closed, a FA goes to a passenger and says "I'm sorry, but we're oversold in First, and you were the last passenger upgraded. I'm going to have to ask you to move to any available seat in Economy." The passenger replies, "Happy to - as soon as I get my new boarding pass."

FA goes to the nose of the aircraft, and a few seconds later another uniformed FA comes down the aisle, gives the passenger a dirty look, and plops herself down in coach.
SEA-Flyer likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I saw that work beautifully the other day. Just before the door was closed, a FA goes to a passenger and says "I'm sorry, but we're oversold in First, and you were the last passenger upgraded. I'm going to have to ask you to move to any available seat in Economy." The passenger replies, "Happy to - as soon as I get my new boarding pass."

FA goes to the nose of the aircraft, and a few seconds later another uniformed FA comes down the aisle, gives the passenger a dirty look, and plops herself down in coach.
Wow. How shady.
Loren Pechtel and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1KMM

Please report this to UA. Done the same when witnessing some shady non-rev seat poaching behavior and had a satisfactory non-canned response.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by puchong
How do you report a FA? Often they don't wear badges or the badges are not easily legible..
You attach the cell phone video you recorded of the entire interaction...
Originally Posted by malgudi
Please let UA know ... if nothing else, this is a good step in getting rid of the "Mr Pushover" tag (as you stated yourself)
The real problem is that these FA character flaws are backed by top management.

Oscar and his "us time" have directly caused the IDBs, the beating, and this. He's unfit for anything but cargo services .
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:37 am

I am a fairly high seniority employee, with 31 years minus one week. That said, I buy tickets about 6-8 times per year, virtually every time I travel with my wife. The only time I will ever be dimed out as an employee, non-rev or full-fare, is if one of the F/As recognizes me. I don't talk shop, I don't wear my ID, I don't have any airline bag tags. None of you would know who I am, unless I'm deadheading in uniform.

FAB
nnn likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

And folks on this forum still claim that this never happens

Actually I think it happens fairly frequently and we rarely see it because less experienced or aggressive customers just do what they are told instead of standing their ground and fighting back.

I would have walked back to coach during the flight, taken a photo of that FA and told her to her face I would be reporting her and her friend for their little failed scam - it's certainly not the first time they probably tried to pull this stunt. If we don't get aggressive about calling them on it and reporting these violations to United, they will keep at it.

There are only 3 legitimate instances for an employee to be in first class, and I write this as a former passrider myself:

1. they bought the ticket or were upgraded legitimately by status they may have on their own (a lot of employees fly revenue vs passriding given the high loads and likelihood of spending 1-2 days at the airport for a flight out)

2. they are sitting there through a contractual agreement - ie the infamous deadheading pilot issue

3. they are passriding and cleared into a seat after every upgrade eligible customer and companion were upgraded (or they are on a positive space must-ride pass for another reason, in which case they are unlikely to be crew/agents or be dressed in uniform)
Kevin AA and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.