Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Update: 06 Sept 2017 - Latest waiver posting

Previous waivers:

Update: 30 Aug 2017
Hurricane Harvey continues to affect flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

United flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast continue to be affected by Hurricane Harvey. There are now a limited number of flights operating between Houston and other major U.S. airports, but many flights to and from Houston continue to be canceled.

Please check your flight status before you go to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes. Also note that road conditions around the airport continue to be poor, so travelers should carefully plan their travel to and from the airport.

If you have an upcoming United flight that includes travel through Houston, we recommend postponing your travel until conditions improve. The Houston area is extremely taxed and may not have the resources to offer hotel and restaurant services to Houston visitors.

Travelers with booked flights to, from or through the Texas and Gulf Coast area can use our travel waiver to change their flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls due to the severity of the situation, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
Update (08/29/17 15:50 CDT):
Booking waiver now extended through 12 September and changes covered through November 15th

FAA Advisory for IAH

Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 28 at 09:38 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 04:00 PM CDT.
Hurricane Harvey is affecting flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until at least noon on Thursday, August 31, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center
George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) Real-time Status
Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT.
Update (08/28/17 11:15 am EDT): Waiver extended through 05 September and rebooking and changes now covered through 20 September

Update 6PM (Central Time) 27 Aug 2017
IAH closure extend to 7PM 28 August

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until 7 p.m. on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Update (08/27/17 12:45 pm EDT): Waiver extended through 31 August and rebooking and changes now covered through 13 September

Posted 27 August 2017 morning

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until noon on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) 26 Aug 2017 = rebooking extend to 11 Sept

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) as of noon (Central Time) 25 Aug 2017

UA travel waiver (including IAH) for Harvey as 3PM (Central Time) 24 Aug 2017

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Travel Waiver has been updated.

The travel waiver has now been updated thru Aug 29th with a rebooking deadline of Sept.1st.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:00 am

GF was flying from AUS through IAH to Europe Friday night, while I was flying straight from ORD to Europe, both on award tickets. Thursday morning I thought we should sit tight, but Thursday evening I got nervous and called to reroute her (not able to online)...was able to put her onto my TATL from ORD so that's nice Now if we can only get seats together...

I actually think the 6pm Friday IAH flight will be fine given current weather predictions, but I realized the downside if we were wrong was likely 2-3 days of no flights and her stuck in Houston while it has historic flooding. Moderate risk but huge downside.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Since my travel plans are now included on the travel waiver, Is it possible to get United to refund me on my first part of my trip. I'm suppose to go IAD-IAH-PVR. There is only ONE flight this day from IAH-PVR and with a 56 min connection no less, so really any delay and I'm toast. There are ZERO alternatives in J and ONLY one in E that would require me to fly all the way to SFO at 5:50am which I'm not doing. (i can stay up as late as I need but try waking me up in the morning it's like waking a hibernating bear)

I found an AeroMexico flight that connects thru MEX that's cheaper than my original cost and would just like to do that if I can get a refund. I also found an American flight thru DFW that would work too.

I know it's going to take me an hour to get someone at United so I would appreciate some feedback before I go on hold for an hour. Thanks
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Just my own experience: I called up UA this morning to change an IAH->TPA->IAH itinerary (leaving today, returning Sun) to the middle of September. At least according to the published guidelines, I think that this should not have been allowed without a change fee (since travel was after Aug 30). The 1K line answered immediately, made the change, no change fee, and I even got an ETC.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by theboss7593
I know it's going to take me an hour to get someone at United so I would appreciate some feedback before I go on hold for an hour. Thanks
Policy is that your flight must be canceled or delayed by two hours or more in order to refund the fare. See here under Refunds:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...ellations.aspx

You can certainly try to plead your case for an advance refund, but that's the policy.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
Policy is that your flight must be canceled or delayed by two hours or more in order to refund the fare. See here under Refunds:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...ellations.aspx

You can certainly try to plead your case for an advance refund, but that's the policy.
Unfortunately, I doubt that you are going to be able to get a refund until UA actually cancels your flight.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by cjermain
Unfortunately, I doubt that you are going to be able to get a refund until UA actually cancels your flight.
I ended up biting the bullet and calling. Was on hold for 30 minutes...

United did offer me a full refund on the entire trip. They couldn't do a partial trip. Which I understand. Asked if I could call back and do it later and the response was as long as I do it before departure time on Monday. (maybe it was because there are ZERO alternatives as the only other one SFO is full in J as someone else mentioned and they confirmed that)

I have since booked at 24 hour hold on AeroMexico via MEX and will make a final call within the next 24 hours...
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by theboss7593
United did offer me a full refund on the entire trip. They couldn't do a partial trip. Which I understand. Asked if I could call back and do it later...
That's great. I have to say I'm a bit surprised. Seems like a bit of a risk not doing it when it was offered, but maybe I'm more skeptical than I should be. Good luck!
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by cjermain
That's great. I have to say I'm a bit surprised. Seems like a bit of a risk not doing it when it was offered, but maybe I'm more skeptical than I should be. Good luck!
Thanks I'll let know how goes. I'm definitely bummed out about it. I've been on 88 flights in my life and this was going to be my first wide-body flight plus in J with lie flats (which I've also never experienced). I just don't want to be stuck in IAH for days if they cancel the one a day flight.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
My SAT flight departed saturday at 7:30 am from SAT to LAX. Should I expect it to be cancelled?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Daniel Solis

Originally Posted by Daniel Solis
My SAT flight departed saturday at 7:30 am from SAT to LAX. Should I expect it to be cancelled?
Impossible to state with certainty at this point -- you are allowed to make free chances. If you prefer to wait it out, you will need to continue to check.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
As I am not familiar with these waivers...I have a flight through IAH that departs on 8/29 but arrives at IAH only on 8/30 which I have upgraded with a GPU. Questions:

- Will that flight be covered under the waiver? Technically it's a 8/29 flight and going through IAH, but since it does not touch that airport before the day after, I wonder if I will face resistance in rebooking myself through another hub.
- In the instance I am able to change my flight going through another hub, will my upgraded seat be preserved even if the flight I am changing to does not have R available?
- To make this change, would it be best to call 1K desk or stop by the airport to get this done in person?

Thanks for any insight you might have!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by djohannw
As I am not familiar with these waivers...I have a flight through IAH that departs on 8/29 but arrives at IAH only on 8/30 which I have upgraded with a GPU. Questions:

- Will that flight be covered under the waiver? Technically it's a 8/29 flight and going through IAH, but since it does not touch that airport before the day after, I wonder if I will face resistance in rebooking myself through another hub. ...
The waivers apply to the specific airports traveling on the covered days.
So technically you flights will not be covered but you might find a willing agent as it is clear this is going to be a mess for awhile.
- In the instance I am able to change my flight going through another hub, will my upgraded seat be preserved even if the flight I am changing to does not have R available? ...
This is a YMMV situation -- many agents will try to maintain the upgrade but it will require a supervisor approval and availability. CPUs will iffy, better chance with supported upgrades.
- To make this change, would it be best to call 1K desk or stop by the airport to get this done in person? ....
Try calling first
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Not as many cancellations as I would have thought today at IAH (so far): https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/today/iah 50 so far with 13 of them being ExpressJet and the others being OAL. No cancellations for UA today!

Was supposed to fly out of IAH tomorrow, but moved up flight to this morning with ease via the 1K line from a L class rebooked to a Q to get out ahead of the storm. IAH seemed normal this morning.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.95MM
Harvey upgraded to cat 4

What happens after landing, the models are not certain about. Let's hope for the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.