Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Need a bit of help on split class of service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:11 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr

We are flying SAN-IAD, then IAD to AMS…..Returning AMS-IAH, then IAH-SAN on UA
FF tickets, 115,000 pp, business for Int’l, coach for Dom. Have a few questions. Thought I posted this already, but could not find it? Aged!

1. Do we check in at the coach line at SAN?

2. Transfer at IAD is 57 minutes, we are in rows 27 and 28 (middle of plane). Going from dom. to Intl. Are we in trouble, older limper? Are the two gates going to be in the same terminal?

3. Club in AMS is Aspire. They service several airlines. Do we have to pay the 25 euros pp?

4. In Huston, on the way home, we have a 7-hour layover. Can we use one of the UA clubs? (going from Bus to Coach). If not, can we use a one-time pass (2) from our UA CC? If so, which UA club can we use?

Thank you for your assistance.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ranles
We are flying SAN-IAD, then IAD to AMS…..Returning AMS-IAH, then IAH-SAN on UA
FF tickets, 115,000 pp, business for Int’l, coach for Dom. Have a few questions. Thought I posted this already, but could not find it? Aged!

2. Transfer at IAD is 57 minutes, we are in rows 27 and 28 (middle of plane). Going from dom. to Intl. Are we in trouble, older limper? Are the two gates going to be in the same terminal?

3. Club in AMS is Aspire. They service several airlines. Do we have to pay the 25 euros pp?

4. In Huston, on the way home, we have a 7-hour layover. Can we use one of the UA clubs? (going from Bus to Coach). If not, can we use a one-time pass (2) from our UA CC? If so, which UA club can we use?

Thank you for your assistance.
1. If the tickets were booked all on one PNR, then your boarding pass for each leg should be printed with Premier Access. The IAD-AMS BP will definitely have it, so just show that one to enter the Premier Access security line.

2. You'll likely arrive from SAN in C or D, and more than likely depart from C. It's a close walk either way- 57 minutes is plenty, as long as SAN-IAD isn't delayed.

4. With an Int'l Business boarding pass, you can use any of the United Clubs on both directions of your journey- SAN (before departure), IAD (if you have time), IAH (you'll have time), and SAN again (if you really wanted to).
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Maybe I am missing something, but if you are on FF tickets with the TATL legs in Business, you are entitled to fly First on your domestic legs -- assuming they have availability. Keep watching for I>0 on your domestic legs if you currently have X class tickets.

See, also Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Use Polaris check-in.

You'll be okay if inbound is on time.

I believe you would have access to the Servisair lounge. One of the worst lounges out there. I wouldn't bother. But it's free with the business class bp.

You can access any United Club with your boarding pass.

You might also consider calling UA and asking to waitlist for F (I class) on your domestic legs.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
1. No, you can use the premier line.

2. SAN-IAD will definitely arrive at either C or D. Impossible to tell you which one it'll be, could honestly be C2 or D29, and anything in between. The IAD-AMS flight, from my experiences walking thru IAD during the European departure rush, will more than likely depart from somewhere in between C1 and C14. But that's not 100% guaranteed. Either way, you should have plenty of time unless the flight is delayed. And every time I've taken SAN-IAD (6 or 7 times), it's been early in IAD, often by quite a bit. You should be fine.

3. Been to AMS twice but never used a lounge, so can't help you there. I have heard the lounges for UA passengers in AMS are pretty awful.

4. Any UA club you want.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by UAL250

3. Been to AMS twice but never used a lounge, so can't help you there. I have heard the lounges for UA passengers in AMS are pretty awful.
I was in that lounge a little over a month ago. It's not that bad - assuming you are there during breakfast, they have hot food and an acceptable drink selection.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:53 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Seenitall

Our eTicket shows Class as XN on domestic and I for Int'l. At the time of our booking (Sept 5, 2016) they did not release the domestic flights in bus/first.

Are you saying that I can call UA, and get on a waitlist to convert the coach to first, without putting up more FF miles?

Flights are a bit more that 2 weeks off.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Seenitall

Our eTicket shows Class as XN on domestic and I for Int'l. At the time of our booking (Sept 5, 2016) they did not release the domestic flights in bus/first.

Are you saying that I can call UA, and get on a waitlist to convert the coach to first, without putting up more FF miles?

Exactly. Do not use the phrase "upgrade" at all. Say this when calling and speaking with an agent: I'm currently booked in economy for the domestic segment on my first class award, can you please add us to the waitlist for I class.

no guarantee it'll clear, but worth a shot.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Wooglin
4. With an Int'l Business boarding pass, you can use any of the United Clubs on both directions of your journey- SAN (before departure), IAD (if you have time), IAH (you'll have time), and SAN again (if you really wanted to).
While true, note this is only the case for a United business class boarding pass. If flying *A partners, you have no access with the onward connection.

Correct. This thread may be helpful. At 2 weeks out, your odds of clearing aren't great though.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by findark
At 2 weeks out, your odds of clearing aren't great though.
While this is, of course, true, the Wiki associated with the Waitlist thread suggests that if you have not cleared the waitlist prior to it going under gate control, you should be placed on the gate waitlist ahead of everyone else but displaced F passengers. So call UA to be sure you are on the F waitlist for the domestic flights, and keep your fingers crossed.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
If your flight to IAH is leaving from G, as it normally does, do not waste your time going to the Aspire lounge. It is an incredibly long walk down the yellow brick road and the lounge is middling, at best. There are plenty of great coffee shops and stores closer to the G terminal, and the flight is late enough that you could grab breakfast at your hotel before heading to the airport.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
do not waste your time going to the Aspire lounge. It is an incredibly long walk down the yellow brick road and the lounge is middling, at best.
+1
AMS is incredibly crowded during the morning departure rush and it's a real hassle making this walk. This is one of the better airports in terms of things to do in the terminal itself, and the Servisair lounge is totally not worth it IMO. It's like a Marriott Courtyard breakfast in a small hot room that is way too close to the smoking lounge for my taste.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:06 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Seenitall

I am always glad to learn something new (to me), especially if I can benefit from it.

I called UA, Nancy told me that the do not waitlist ff tickets, but I can keep calling to see first has cleared. I asked "once a day" and she suggested every other day.

Comments anyone? Is this correct?

Thanks
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:21 pm

Comments anyone? Is this correct?
It's not correct, but this is one of the most common UA phone agent errors. See Consolidated Waitlist for Award Seats - Questions & Issues. The wiki in that thread quotes the T&C which specifically allow waitlisting for the premium cabin.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:08 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Kacee

Thank you

Now how do I proceed.

Call, get the same wrong answer:

1. Call again, or
2. Ask for supervisor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.