Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Forced in-flight DirecTV ads need to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced in-flight DirecTV ads need to stop

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: UA
During sports seasons its a Godsend. I've never had the DTV play audible ads except right after the safety video. The cabin crew must have restarted it in OP's case.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
I don't remember the Ads automatically playing mid-flight but it could definitely be that I haven't paid close attention. I've done red eyes on 737s with DTV and haven't been woken up. Did they have to reset the system maybe? That would drive me nuts if I was happily sleeping/napping.
I agree, I would assume this is some sort of error.
I have never had ads automatically play over the PA mid-flight. Sometimes the screen might come on if my elbow hits the pad or my neighbor gets confused. But the audio doesnt come over the PA. I will hear the PA ad during boarding at some point and after the safety video. After that, I can turn the screen off and it won't bother me for the rest of the flight.

I welcome the DTV system. Sometimes I'll watch the free show in Economy. I've only paid for it once but always enjoy it in F. They are the only narrowbody planes that have any IFE. (PDE is not IFE).
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
What I never understood is why everyone who is not paying for and watching DTV just leaves the screen on, and does not turn it off. When I am not watching, I turn it off, but the rest of the cabin doesn't bother turning it off.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
What I never understood is why everyone who is not paying for and watching DTV just leaves the screen on, and does not turn it off. When I am not watching, I turn it off, but the rest of the cabin doesn't bother turning it off.
Probably because they don't know how to do that, as it isn't as simple as an off-on switch, and from what I can see, most are oblivious to almost anything going on around them.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
Probably because they don't know how to do that, as it isn't as simple as an off-on switch, and from what I can see, most are oblivious to almost anything going on around them.
Or they figure it is part of the abuse that one must undergo as self loading cargo on United Continental.

David
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
And it only works if the controller is 100% functional. I have been on a few flights with the DirecTV system where I couldn't get the screen to turn off because the button to decrease brightness was broken.

Is the DirecTV ad controlled by a switch, or is it automatic? Because if it is controlled, I would really appreciate if the FAs use discretion in its use.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Gig103
I agree with you that it was innovative at the time. IMO though, after the merger UA reached for the stars on pricing and were burned by the Sun, and sales probably weren't helped by the tablet revolution.

JetBlue had it included on my last flight, which was great - except it was a redeye PHX-JFK and so it was "free infomercials".
B6 has had free DTV since they started. First, because they were the trial carrier. Then, because they bought LiveTV. Then, because they sold LiveTV and kept it free as a deal. They also have the best paid internet in the sky.

Originally Posted by halls120
In all of the years since the merger, I have had exactly one flight where I watched a sporting event onboard a UA flight.
I've probably had 2. The system is clunky and pretty underwhelming.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
Even if you turn it off, it will turn itself back on repeatedly. That is one of OP's major complaints.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Kacee
Even if you turn it off, it will turn itself back on repeatedly. That is one of OP's major complaints.
It doesn't turn itself back on repeatedly. It will be turned on, however, if you rest your elbow on the control. There are no ghosts in the machine, however, the location of the control is not good.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
It doesn't turn itself back on repeatedly. It will be turned on, however, if you rest your elbow on the control. There are no ghosts in the machine, however, the location of the control is not good.
You're wrong. It absolutely turns itself back on. I've experienced this many times, when no one's arm was anywhere near the controller.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:33 pm

Add me to the list of folks who try to avoid the DTV planes. I've never had it turn back on after I've turned it off (which itself is annoying, because you have to hold the dimmer button for a few seconds while it goes all the way to dark), except for when they play the safety video and the series of ads after. Unless they've reset the system for some reason, it always stays off for me. Once, on a red-eye, the crew silenced the system after the safety video so it skipped the ads. That was nice of them.

It would be nice if you could tell ahead of time if your 737-900 flight was going to be with a sCO crew or sUA crew, because, for the time being, that's the only really definite way of knowing if you can avoid the DTV (since the UA planes don't have it, while most of the pmCO fleet does).

That said, I'm sure UA would love to be able to do away with the system and standardize on one domestic IFE product (and yes, PDE does count as IFE; it's available in flight, and it is a form of entertainment), but the cost of getting out of the contract is probably too steep to be worth it.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
Add me to the list of folks who try to avoid the DTV planes. I've never had it turn back on after I've turned it off (which itself is annoying, because you have to hold the dimmer button for a few seconds while it goes all the way to dark), except for when they play the safety video and the series of ads after. Unless they've reset the system for some reason, it always stays off for me. Once, on a red-eye, the crew silenced the system after the safety video so it skipped the ads. That was nice of them.

It would be nice if you could tell ahead of time if your 737-900 flight was going to be with a sCO crew or sUA crew, because, for the time being, that's the only really definite way of knowing if you can avoid the DTV (since the UA planes don't have it, while most of the pmCO fleet does).

That said, I'm sure UA would love to be able to do away with the system and standardize on one domestic IFE product (and yes, PDE does count as IFE; it's available in flight, and it is a form of entertainment), but the cost of getting out of the contract is probably too steep to be worth it.
if you book on UA.com, it shows you what it's scheduled to be (well, at least it notes which flights are scheduled to have DirecTV with a logo, and also power). Issue of course is that you never know what changes between booking and departure time so if that sticks are not. Even the email they send the day prior to departure is often wrong with those kinds of amenities - it's correct at the time they send it based on which specific aircraft is scheduled, but that can change after that, and IME, specific frame numbers often do and even the config/amenities do (DirectTV vs. PDE 739, lower capacity vs. higher capacity 739, etc.)

Yes, probably a steep fee to get out of the contract (though wonder how long it lasts). Though it must save a ton of weight and therefore cost to do PDE vs. DirecTV. Wonder if it would actually be cost-reducing with the weight (and therefore fuel) saved by taking out the ~170 in-seat screens per plane times the number of flights they all run daily, weekly, monthly, annually.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi

It turns back on if you turn it off before the safety video runs. However, at least if you've done that, it resets to only one 'notch' of brightness above off. (I.e. if the brightness scale goes 0=off to 20=on, it is generally 10 when you board; if you set it to 0 before the video, it reverts to 1 afterward instead 10, mercifully.)

I really hate it too.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Oh but it does. I had one particularly miserable flight where it turned back on every half hour or more often for hours.

You can tell it's not just bumping the controls because the brightness goes to mid-range rather than 1 tick up.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
Oh but it does. I had one particularly miserable flight where it turned back on every half hour or more often for hours.

You can tell it's not just bumping the controls because the brightness goes to mid-range rather than 1 tick up.
I think it turns back on during "safety messages" or anytime someone up in the galley keys the mic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.