Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Forced in-flight DirecTV ads need to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced in-flight DirecTV ads need to stop

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by br2k
I think it turns back on during "safety messages" or anytime someone up in the galley keys the mic.
It wasn't that, it was the start of an ad every time it turned on.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
It wasn't that, it was the start of an ad every time it turned on.
Perhaps a spontaneous reboot - these systems are not known to be particularly reliable.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA MM
I really get sick of the DTV ads. I don't fly in a plane to have ads forced at me. Usually I take the credit card application of the seat pocket and tear it into a nice size so that with one fold it just covers the screen. Then at least I don't have to see it. But I recall hearing it many more than once on many flights. Often plays repeatedly during boarding, in my experience.

If folks want to watch it, that's fine. Just don't hit me with the ads please.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by br2k
Perhaps a spontaneous reboot - these systems are not known to be particularly reliable.
The ol' recurring spontaneous reboot.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
I can't believe it, out in the cedar chest in the garage, I found my old cardboard periscope with 2 mirrors inside, that I used to spy on Mrs. Wilson next door, over the fence, when I was a kid. Yep, it works just perfect to watch what 20C has on when I'm in my exit row 21C! No CC needed either!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
We'll sometimes reboot the system when some screens stop working. That could be what's causing the screens to come back on mid-flight but it doesn't happen nearly as often as some of the messages would suggest. If it's happening every flight then there must be another reason for it.

I think the plan is that live TV will eventually be added to the PDE and that service will be available on all planes. They are keeping DTV in the DTV airplanes that have the slimline seat conversion so there may be contractual requirements to keep them system on board for now. If not, it would seem that the seat change would be the best opportunity to make the switch.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Cool. So -- SFO-SEA is served competitively by AS/VX and DL.

Do you intend to fly on another carrier next time? (Does UA have any skin in the game re: your feedback about their service?)
ORD was my starting airport. United is undercutting other airlines to SEA for close-in dates by getting people like me to connect in SFO rather than flying directly.

I paid something like $160 for one-way when all the other options were $200+, and RPU cleared for the ORD-SFO leg. I could have taken a nonstop as well, but I was not in a rush. Figured I might as well pick up some extra miles and check out the Centurion lounge.

With regards to taking my business elsewhere, price is biggest factor for me. But I will admit that UA miles (when combined with Chase UR transfers) for *A award redemptions is a big reason to fly with them as much as possible.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:00 pm

UA - Endless showing of ads and messages on DirecTV screen, how to stop?

Last month I flew twice, first between Chicago and Dallas, then from Dallas to Newark with United Airlines.
In the cabin every seat has in front of it a screen and as I am taller than the average I can see the majority of the screen the aircraft contains.
NO WAY to switch off the screen in front of me, and no way for the other too. During 4 hours I had to be brainwashed with almost 15 times the same adds, the same comments, the same images.
United Airlines takes passengers as slaves that have to be submitted entirely, like animals. We are constrain, imposed to swallow all these filths.
This is totally disgusting and despicable.
Michel
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:04 pm

I recall there is no on/off button but if you hit the brightness button down as far as it will go, the lowest setting is OFF.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by johnwlynch
I recall there is no on/off button but if you hit the brightness button down as far as it will go, the lowest setting is OFF.
That would be correct. It takes a few moments but will black off screen.

that being said....IBTL!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
question asked and answered!

Unless OP wants to sue UA for mental duress then you will get a lot more comments!! .. I am joking.. of course...
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:07 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Put your credit card in and watch the tv
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
Put your credit card in and watch the tv
Wasn't Munoz going to finally make it free?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Yes, this is exactly the solution.

I often board as early as possible and turn off my screen & the screen next to me so I don't have to watch the flashing out of the corner of my eye.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:14 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by zeer0
Wasn't Munoz going to finally make it free?
Never heard this...would be a coup in negotiating w/ directtv to get them to provide it free

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.