Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Forced in-flight DirecTV ads need to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced in-flight DirecTV ads need to stop

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
I don't think that discussing something on FT is necessarily a "Complaint!" People can certainly mention that they don't like ad's in their face, for the duration of their flight, without requiring them to make a BIG deal out of it. Besides, a letter written to UAL regarding this matter will most likely end up in the round file, anyway!
Yeah, given that I have sent much, much more substantial complaints to United and received totally nonsensical responses, it's not worth my time to complain about every annoyance.

They should be doing customer focus groups or surveys if they want to find out what people think, not just responding to complaints. My guess is they don't really care...
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Yeah, given that I have sent much, much more substantial complaints to United and received totally nonsensical responses, it's not worth my time to complain about every annoyance.

They should be doing customer focus groups or surveys if they want to find out what people think, not just responding to complaints. My guess is they don't really care...
When a company sees itself as infallible, the only thing that is going to move the needle is a front page story about someone getting the be-jesus beaten out of them. A letter writing campaign about not wanting video ad's in your face, or a blast of audio, for good measure, every so often, is not going anywhere.

A lot of money has been invested in these things and they are NOT going to let them go to waste like they did with all of those phones they installed, years back, and people never used. Not too many folks pay for "Direct TV", so maybe they should add another one of their "Bundle" deals.@:-)@:-)@:-)
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Writing letters is foolish. Just use the web form. UA's marketing people simple categorize what people complaint about. The fact that you get a canned and meaningless response does not mean that you do not have impact.

But, no one person has impact. So, a short note to the effect that you dislike the ads, find them and their volume annoying and show a lack of concern, is all that is necessary.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Not a fan of the ads but I will choose a flight with DirecTV over one without it
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by u600213
Not a fan of the ads but I will choose a flight with DirecTV over one without it
^ +1

Especially on transcons. I book the 738s specifically for the DirecTV.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I've never, ever paid for DTV. Same reason I no longer have a cable or satellite TV subscription. There ratio of advertising to programming is just insane. It is not possible for me to concentrate on anything with the constant advertising interruptions.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Given the choice, I'll opt for a flight without it.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K; WN A-List; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; National EE
^^ +1. Especially when I am flying during sporting events.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Beer Me!
^^ +1. Especially when I am flying during sporting events.
In all of the years since the merger, I have had exactly one flight where I watched a sporting event onboard a UA flight.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Nothing that a small piece of cardboard and some Scotch tape can't fix - my go to kit on the rare occasions I have to endure UA 737s.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Given the choice, I'll opt for a flight without it.
yup - I'll go for PDE flights over DirecTV anyday. The only time I've ever watched is on flights on F where it's free, and even then, it's rare that I watch there.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Nothing that a small piece of cardboard and some Scotch tape can't fix - my go to kit on the rare occasions I have to endure UA 737s.
40 posts into the thread, and we finally have a winner!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
For me, the biggest problem is not my screen - it's the 15+ screens in eyeshot in E+. I'm 6'2" but sit tall (long torso) so that my eyeline is about 33" above the seat pan - so I unfortunately will see all of the flickering DTV screens forward of me even when I recline. Most annoying on those unfortunate redeyes.

Second related "illumination" issue are those folks who begin reading and then fall asleep with their lights on. Groan.

David
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I haven't put a kit together as of yet, but wouldn't one of those placards with some ABC gum work just as well?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I much prefer DTV to the personal device entertainment (which virtually never works). I buy it frequently, but usually watch a movie, rather than any of the TV programs. Occasionally there will be a program or a sporting event I want to watch.

Those times when I don't want to watch, I just turn my screen off. If it comes back on, it's because you accidentally touched your control in the armrest, not because they are "forcing" it on you.

My one complaint is the location of the control on the arm rest - it's way too easy to inadvertently touch it and either turn the screen on when you want it off, or change the channel right when something exciting is happening!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.