Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heartfelt Thanks to United

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Our condolences. Thankful you both continued to make memories together.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, 2MM, Marriott LT Platinum
A sad yet somehow uplifting set of posts. My sincere condolences to you and thanks to United for doing the right thing. Finally, my best wishes to you as you deal with your tragic loss.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
So sorry for your loss. May you find strength in the memories you shared together and be reminded of all the good times. Thank you for sharing in the midst of your grief. It reminds all of us that we don't know what burdens those around us during each day are carrying.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
I am so sorry for your heartbreaking loss. Thank you for sharing with all of us that United was caring during this terrible time. Wishing you comfort and strength.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA MM
Let me add my condolences to this thread. How sad to die so young. And how sweet that photo is where she is smiling for the oncologist photo - I say that having had my own photo taken for the same reason only yesterday (yes, really) and I will admit, I did not smile. I'm sure you miss her dearly.

I'm sure you made some wonderful memories in your travels together. And in the end, it is our memories of good times that soothe more then riches or possessions. Peace.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
flyme2, how are you doing these days? Thinking of you. Come back and check in, we are here for you.

This thread is the epitome of the FT community. Poignant, sad, but also everything a support forum should be.

MojaveFlyer, wishing you excellent care, great outcomes, minimal sequelae, and many, many more years of flying the friendly skies. Know that
we are here for you, too.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by big V
flyme2, how are you doing these days? Thinking of you. Come back and check in, we are here for you.

This thread is the epitome of the FT community. Poignant, sad, but also everything a support forum should be.

MojaveFlyer, wishing you excellent care, great outcomes, minimal sequelae, and many, many more years of flying the friendly skies. Know that
we are here for you, too.
Thank you, big V, and the entire FT community for providing me support, hope and solace during this difficult period.

MojaveFlyer, i echo big V's sentiments. Please accept my hope for a full recovery. Many have beaten cancer and progress with new and more effective treatment is ongoing. My thoughts are with you. Do not underestimate the power and support that this wonderful FT community can and will provide.

Last evening I had dinner with a FT'er that I had not seen since 2000, when my wife and I hosted an FT event here in Montreal. Blondebomber and I had 17 years of catching up to do, and managed quite well in the space of three hours. For a brief moment in time, I was provided cover from the dark cloud that has been hovering over me since my wife's passing. This is the type of support and compassion that FT does so well.

I will be in DC from July 1st to the 5th on a trip that my wife and I planned last year to celebrate the births of two great nations, Canada and the US. May the strength of our friendship withstand the rough waters in which we might currently find ourselves.

My wife at the "FAQ" Flyertalk event in 2000:
Attached Images  
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by flyme2
Do not underestimate the power and support that this wonderful FT community can and will provide.

Last evening I had dinner with a FT'er that I had not seen since 2000, when my wife and I hosted an FT event here in Montreal. Blondebomber and I had 17 years of catching up to do, and managed quite well in the space of three hours. For a brief moment in time, I was provided cover from the dark cloud that has been hovering over me since my wife's passing. This is the type of support and compassion that FT does so well.
A great pleasure to see you my friend--even under troubling circumstances (or likely even more meaningful because of it).

Beneath the sometimes weird underbelly of the FT beast is an overwhelmingly decent, compassionate, caring and thoughtful community. It gives me hope even in these uncertain times. We all have/give a lot of support here and it is much appreciated.^
Old Jun 30, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of warmth, especially as I have not been an active member of the FT community for a very, very long time. My wife and I shared a wonderful life together for 36 years. We were each other's best friend. She was so happy that we had taken that last trip, to Berlin and Prague. It created her last fond memories and a sense of normalcy.

She maintained the most positive outlook, up until the very end, even smiling for her Oncology ID photo.
I'm so sorry for your loss. The pictures of the two of you together, made myself, and the crew smile.

Wishing you peace, and sending positive thoughts to you and yours.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
This is heart breaking news. And I join all the people here on Flyertalk in wishing you the best. Words are inadequate at a time like this. But it's obvious here that people care very much and mourn your loss.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:26 pm

I wish to extend my sincere thanks to United and the 1K staff that recently helped me through an extremely difficult period in my life. My wife was diagnosed with cancer on November 24 and succumbed to the disease on April 20. She was 54.
The early prognosis was hopeful, so we rescheduled a few of our six upcoming trips for later in the year and canceled others that would have interfered with her treatment. Throughout the process, the UA personnel with whom I dealt were the epitome of kindness and understanding. They rescheduled the two trips we decided were doable, and even re-routed us on a direct AC flight when inclement Chicago weather would have resulted in a series of misconnected UA flights. Any and all change fees were proactively waived.
Unfortunately, upon returning from our last trip, my wife's condition suddenly deteriorated, and she passed away 16 days later. Still reeling from shock, dealing with superfluous travel issues was furthest from my list of priorities. Last week I got around to dealing with refund requests for the remaining flights that would not be flown. Again the UA staff were solicitous and respectful. Truthfully, I was not confident those tickets that were non-refundable P and W fares would actually be refunded. However, true to what I had been told, all tickets were refunded without fees, only a few days later. At this point, the money is really irrelevant, but the fact that UA showed such empathy and compassion will stay with me forever. Thank you, UA and Mr. Munoz for bringing a sliver of light to what has been a very dark period in my life.
Thanks so much for sharing about your lovely wife and how UA helped you. I, too, had good experiences with UA when I lived with and cared for my Dad post-stroke from 2013 to Jan. 2016, when he passed away at 93 1/2. At least twice I needed to change or cancel flights, and they waived the change fee.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 2017 at 10:17 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I recently had to make a last minute change to a reservation due to a serious family matter, and the Premier desk CSR couldn't have been more helpful or sympathetic. In some aspects, the "old" UA still exists. ^^
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by halls120
In some aspects, the "old" UA still exists. ^^
I agree 100%. (The new UA) has had its ups and downs, but when it comes to taking time to deal with issues like this, they use common sense and do the right thing. Someone in Houston, Chicago or India did the right thing. ^^^ HNL Res is gone? Correct?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
My deepest condolences on this terrible loss of your lovely and many thanks for sharing your experience. It's clear from your writing and sharing this experience that you are an example of being a force for good as well as being on the receiving end of goodness.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
My deepest condolences. Even though I have not been in touch, I have very fond memories with you both so learning this news is absolutely heartbreaking. Please know I am here if you want to talk or grab a bite. I would have responded sooner but I have not been on FT for a long time now. Take care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.