Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heartfelt Thanks to United

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you to all those who provided additional words of encouragement and solace through PM's. Some of you I have known for years, others are complete strangers. All have helped me deal with my grief. I am continuing on with some of the travels my wife and I had planned. Singapore, Bangkok, Frankfurt and Munich we planned together; Beijing, Kuala Lumpur and Hangzhou I planned on my own. A couple are new, but most are places we visited quite often.

Again thank you all. Perhaps our paths will cross somewhere, someplace.

I take this photo with me wherever I go. Somehow I find it hauntingly beautiful. She was 29 and we were celebrating her birthday at Top Notch in Stowe, VT.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
What lovely photos you are sharing -- I agree with how beautiful she is in Stowe.

How great that you are continuing your travels. That is a special--and apt--way to honor her memory.

How did you enjoy DC for the 4th? I flew out of Dulles the day you arrived. T-storms the day I left, and now today after I have arrived. Fortunately, many hours after landing and getting home.

Safe travels to you, hope you continue to heal bit by bit with time.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:58 pm

My sincere condolences.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Happy Birthday, My Love

Happy birthday, my angel. Today on the 27th of July, I am celebrating your 55th without you by my side, but with you in my thoughts every second of every minute. I miss you so terribly. I always called you my guardian angel, and I feel your spirit guiding me to be the kinder, gentler and more patient man you mentored me to become. I feel your hand, imagined or not, soothing the pain and anguish and helping me be strong enough to navigate the murky path that lies ahead.

As per your wishes, we are spending your birthday this year in Bangkok at the Conrad, where you knew the staff would take good care of us. They have sent up your favourite roses and birthday cake. We will toast your birthday with our custumary glass of champagne and have a late dinner in room, just the two of us. I have taken the liberty of ordering us the salmon so as to not interfere with your quest to lower my cholestorol numbers. You were always looking out for me, and you still are.

The flight to HKG was smooth sailing all the way. You would have liked the new Polaris cubicle, it was private and quite comfortable, once I adjusted the lumbar support. The UA FA's on our way down were stellar, providing excellent service and ensuring I received my first choice of entrée and offering breakfast when I awoke after the service had ended. I fear I ate too much as the HKG-SIN flight offered the salmon I so enjoyed. You would have also appreciated the CX flight to BKK. The A350 was a beautiful aircraft and the cubicle was even larger than the Polaris version on the 773. Herr G., is awaiting our brief visit to Singapore, where I am certain he will take good care of us, as always, and yes, I will remember to bring back the little stuffed creatures.

My apologies to the FT community for this rather self indulgent post, as the thread has increasingly had less to do with UA and more to do with catharsis. I am grateful for your understanding and tolerance, two virtues my wife strove to install in her stubborn husband.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
It's not self-indulgent.

My sympathy for your loss. Grief isn't something that fades away in a neat decay curve but rather reappears at varying intervals
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It's not self-indulgent. Your love for your wife is beautiful. And obviously travel, particularly on United, was part of your love story.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: United, Delta, AA, southwest
As I said before, grief is a process that takes time. I have ridden this bus before and it really does get better in time. Take care friend, there is a better future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.