Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Economy Choice Menu: Bistro on Board and Snack Shop [2017-2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fezzington
The current menu can be found online here

March 2018 BoB updates:
  • New: Breakfast "Biscuit Breakfast Sandwich" - egg, canadian bacon, cheddar on a biscuit. Replaces Sourdough sandwich.
  • New: Breakfast "Mixed Berry breakfast bowl" - berries, nuts, and granola, with a Chobani "greek yogurt drink". Replaces Yogurt & fruit plate
  • "Updated": Mezze sampler, new description is "Wheat berry salad with quinoa, edamame and corn, sun-dried tomato basil hummus, almonds and triangle pita pieces"
  • ex-Canada is getting a new menu-
    • Breakfast: Maple Ham Sandwich
    • PM: Hummus Sampler
    • PM: Barbecue Burger on a Pretzel Bun
    • PM: Tomato Pesto Chicken Wrap
March Snack Shop Changes:
  • Adding Nuts.com CB&J Mix
  • Adding Chipotle Grass-Fed Beef Jerky
  • "Updating" Classic box (no details)
  • Removing Chex Mix
  • Something about a cheese box and IPA combo

The Deep Dish on United's Exciting New Menu Items
Chicago-style deep dish pizza tops a list of delicious new offerings on board July 1
Colorado-based New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA takes off September 1

CHICAGO, June 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United is adding something new for every taste with several new in-flight menu items available for purchase. Starting July 1, customers can experience a slice of Chicago with personal-size Uno's deep-dish pizza, and United will expand its onboard beer list to include New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA beginning September 1.

United customers will also have more Choice Menu options from which to choose, including Bistro on Board items like the breakfast egg white flatbread; Uno's deep dish spinach, cheese and garlic pizza; Thai-style Chicken Ciabatta sandwich; and the new, Mediterranean-inspired Protein Box, featuring a healthy mix of almonds, sesame sticks, roasted red pepper hummus and cracked wheat salad.

United has also refreshed some of its popular Snack Shop items, including the Tapas Box, a customer favorite. The updated Tapas Box includes flatbread crackers, almonds, bruschetta, cheese spread, hummus, olive crackers, dried fruit, ginger mints and a sea salt dark chocolate caramel.

"As part of our ongoing commitment to putting our customers at the center of everything we do, we are always listening to their feedback when it comes to food choices on board our flights," said Jimmy Samartzis, United's vice president of Catering Operations. "Our customers told us they are craving pizza, and we heard them. We are excited to offer two new options – a breakfast egg white flatbread served on morning flights and deep dish pizza from hometown favorite Uno's on afternoon and evening flights."

All new menu items and refreshed snackboxes will be available for purchase on flights within the U.S. with a scheduled flight time of more than 3.5 hours and on all international flights from the U.S. to Canada, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Snack Shop items including the Tapas, Classic, Select and Ben Flyin Kid's snackboxes are available on all flights over 1.5 hours within North America, including the Caribbean and select Latin American cities, Singapore and Australia. Learn more about where you can get your snacks here.

United's popular cheeseburger and fries ($11.99) will remain on the menu. View United's refreshed Choice Menu with the new items here.

Code:
New Choice Menu options July 1 
 Uno's deep dish pizza $9.99 Personal-size, spinach, cheese and garlic
 Egg white flatbread $9.99 Egg white crumble, mozzarella cheese, cherry tomatoes, spinach, parsley, herbed ricotta on focaccia bread
 Thai-style chicken ciabatta $9.99 Grilled chicken breast, mozzarella cheese, carrots, red peppers, Thai-style cilantro aioli on ciabatta bread
 Protein Box $9.99 Almonds, sesame sticks, roasted red pepper hummus and cracked wheat salad
 Fresh-Start Breakfast Combo $12.99 Egg white flatbread, Chobani Greek yogurt, fresh fruit served with whole grain oat granola
 Pizza and beer combo $13.99 Uno's deep dish pizza and Miller Lite

Refreshed Choice Menu items July 1 
 Tapas Snack Box $9.59 Featuring new flatbread crackers, almonds, bruschetta, cheese spread, hummus, olive crackers, dried fruit and a sea salt dark chocolate caramel and ginger mints
 Ben Flyin Adventure Bear Kid's Snack Box $5.59 Mini chocolate chip cookies, raisins, squeezable applesauce, and Goldfish. Includes an activity sheet with games and CrayAngles crayons

New beers September 1 
 New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA $7.99 Brewed in Colorado, New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA gives aromas of citrus (specifically orange and grapefruit) as well as some tropical fruit notes and a hint of toasted bread
 Sam Adams Oktoberfest $7.99 Born in Boston, Oktoberfest is a delicious harmony of sweet flavors, including caramel and toffee
 Blue Point Toasted Lager $7.99 Brewed in New York, Blue Point Lager is made with six grains to perfect a balanced flavor of malt and hops, and a special proprietary lager yeast to give Toasted Lager an exceptional, long-lasting smooth finish
Print Wikipost

United Economy Choice Menu: Bistro on Board and Snack Shop [2017-2018]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
I'm surprised the Southwest Omelet is now a BOB option in Econ, I very much enjoyed it everytime I got it in First.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by transportprof
The former coach burger has migrated to the front cabin. I had it for lunch YVR-ORD yesterday. The fry chips are gone, however. Do I detect a pattern: coach bob food becomes the first class meal, and cheaper versions of the old coach menu are now sold as bob in back?
The burger was an F snack before it was offered for BoB.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
The burger was an F snack before it was offered for BoB.
So what was once an F snack, became a Y bob meal, and was then reincarnated as an F meal. I can tell you that the F snacks are much reduced from the burger. Did the burger snack come with the fry chips, back in the day?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
So what was once an F snack, became a Y bob meal, and was then reincarnated as an F meal. I can tell you that the F snacks are much reduced from the burger. Did the burger snack come with the fry chips, back in the day?
Nope, it was just the burger. The fries were a nice addition went it went to Y.

The "true" Snack service (for long redeyes) is still reasonably substantial; I had the burger on HNL-SFO in September, and have actually seen the service get upgraded to two choices (from one).

The short flight "Snack" though is indeed pretty pathetic. It's getting to the point where I should just start ordering from BoB...
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Cheeseburger 2.0

Bun is now a "Brooklyn-Bred Bistro Bun". I call it ciabatta.

Positives: bigger condiment packets and pickles. Lettuce and tomato were in pretty good shape. Cardboard box better than plastic clamshell - all the trash fits in it after finishing.

Negatives: burger patty seems a little smaller and the amount of Gouda seems on the light side.

IMHO, Cheeseburger 2.0 isn't that big of a downgrade over 1.0, but still a downgrade.

I didn't get chips, although I got the impression from the menu picture chips would be provided. I'll have to look at it closer the next time I'm in coach (not until 2018 😀 )
Attached Images     

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 2, 2017 at 11:02 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Why is deep dish pizza banned in Canada?
I seem to recall reading something about a cheese import fight being waged between U.S. (on behalf of Wisconsin) and Canada

dont know if that’s part of it. Wouldn’t think it would extend to prepared foods.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 2, 2017 at 10:56 pm
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:11 am

Got to try it as well. I had some pictures, but they don't look as nice as IAH-OIL-TRASH's, so I'll refrain from posting them

I think I agree with all the points, but personally see it as a big disappointment, the pretzel buns were just too good. When I get the survey email from UA, I'll be sure to comment on it.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Positives: bigger condiment packets and pickles. Lettuce and tomato were in pretty good shape. Cardboard box better than plastic clamshell - all the trash fits in it after finishing.

Negatives: burger patty seems a little smaller and the amount of Gouda seems on the light side.

IMHO, Cheeseburger 2.0 isn't that big of a downgrade over 1.0, but still a downgrade.

I didn't get chips, although I got the impression from the menu picture chips would be provided. I'll have to look at it closer the next time I'm in coach (not until 2018 😀 )
Good eye, it's definitely smaller, and agreed on a minimal d/g.

http://travelskills.com/2017/10/19/u...burger-for-10/
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Thanks for the report. Definately seems like a downgrade.

And chips are no longer included. They are an additional $1.99.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Good eye, it's definitely smaller, and agreed on a minimal d/g.

http://travelskills.com/2017/10/19/u...burger-for-10/
Looks like UA is saying patty and cheese are same weight and new bun is 1.5 ounce lighter. Probably subliminal expectation on my part that expects UA to downsize the protein...

More ketchup is the biggest positive for me. The cheeseburger will still be my go-to. I’d eat the chips if provided, so I’m sort of glad UA is helping me avoid them.

Article said 2000 of them were being served per day. I gotta think a significant percentage is going to 1K/GS in coach plus front cabin passengers opting for the BoB.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 3, 2017 at 8:51 am
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Lightbulb ciabatta breakfast sandwich 0.0

Served on LAX-IAH a.m. run (11/02/17). 1st pic is now UA's food stylists view of the product.

Edible but certainly less flavor than the Jimmy Dean-type english muffin derivative evolved breakfast fare of old. Definitely more bread / carbs than the eMuffin. Last bite was best because the bread tasted a little burnt (and perhaps also because it was the end of the sandwich as well ). Oh. and if you like a flavorless cheese, Swiss is an excellent pick.

David

Attached Images     

Last edited by DELee; Nov 18, 2017 at 9:07 pm Reason: added UA''s view of the product 1st
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Looking at the menu on a flight on Thursday. Not that i got it much, but believe the burger on the ‘Canada’ menu is looks very similar if not the same as the old one. I’m flying out of YVR later this month, but on a morning flight, so won’t get a chance to see it in person.

What looks new to me, at least IIRC, is the fact ‘Canada’ has a different menu/page. Has anyone seen that before? I’m pretty sure when the pizza first appeared in July, there was a footnote saying it’s not available on flights from Canada, as opposed to having a separate page. I assume this is for flights departing Canada and not arriving there, but who knows. I’m actuallly curious to know how these are catered - not sure about YVR, etc., but pretty sure all the YYZ flights are double-catered from the hubs they originate at. So not sure why they need the different menu.

As to the pizza from Canada referenced above, I would guess it’s some regulation relating to dairy on the Canada side - but they do have a cheeseburger. Possibly related to how it gets purchased - unless things have changed, believe pizza places in Canada are required to buy cheese from a supplier approved by the dairy Board in Canada - or maybe just at a place which has a dairy board price floor - basically to make sure dairy farmers can earn enough of a profit. I wonder if that is a legal thing from preventing it.

As for for the biggest menu downgrade, by far for me it is the disappearance of Garret’s. We bought that on every flight where we were in Y that offered it. Now, I guess if we want it, we need to make sure we connect through ORD and have enough time to grab a bag (not always possible, especially since they sometimes run out and don’t have any to sell).
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Looking at the menu on a flight on Thursday. Not that i got it much, but believe the burger on the ‘Canada’ menu is looks very similar if not the same as the old one. I’m flying out of YVR later this month, but on a morning flight, so won’t get a chance to see it in person.

What looks new to me, at least IIRC, is the fact ‘Canada’ has a different menu/page. Has anyone seen that before? I’m pretty sure when the pizza first appeared in July, there was a footnote saying it’s not available on flights from Canada, as opposed to having a separate page. I assume this is for flights departing Canada and not arriving there, but who knows. I’m actuallly curious to know how these are catered - not sure about YVR, etc., but pretty sure all the YYZ flights are double-catered from the hubs they originate at. So not sure why they need the different menu.

As to the pizza from Canada referenced above, I would guess it’s some regulation relating to dairy on the Canada side - but they do have a cheeseburger. Possibly related to how it gets purchased - unless things have changed, believe pizza places in Canada are required to buy cheese from a supplier approved by the dairy Board in Canada - or maybe just at a place which has a dairy board price floor - basically to make sure dairy farmers can earn enough of a profit. I wonder if that is a legal thing from preventing it.
Yes, I believe most (if not all) UA flights in Canada are double-catered from their US departure hub, so I'd expect this may be a factor. My guess is that the pizza may not be practical to double-cater - perhaps not as long a shelf life on the plane, space limitations, or maybe the terms of the deal with Uno.

It's definitely available on the flights to Canada (had the pizza recently on IAH-YYC), so I believe the limitations are only on the flights departing from Canada.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Southwestern "Style" Omelette

Tried it on TPA-SFO (11/06/17).

1st image is what UA's food personnel would have you think is what you'll get. The other photos are mine and are what you do get.

Dave's highly biased critical commentary: Surprisingly good! Sausages were way too sagey. Omelette is nice and cheesy.

David

Old Nov 18, 2017, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by DELee
Tried it on TPA-SFO (11/06/17).

1st image is what UA's food personnel would have you think is what you'll get. The other photos are mine and are what you do get.

Dave's highly biased critical commentary: Surprisingly good! Sausages were way too sagey. Omelette is nice and cheesy.

David

This is exactly what I had this morning in F on ORD-LHR. Except it was on china.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.