Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The First Class Refreshments Basket but no "meal" for 2 hour flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy

Is it just me that loathes the refreshment basket that UA serves in domestic first class? Serve a meal! I regularly fly the SEA/SFO route. Its typically between an hour forty five minutes and 2 hours in the air. Why don't they serve a light meal? Its also common enough that I end up on 2 legs of flights just under the 2 hour mark and end up with 2 grabs at the basket with 5 or so hours of travel.

I always grab something fast without knowing what I am grabbing because I can feel the glare form the folks behind me waiting for their chance at a grab.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Agreed. Would even be happy with some tasty sandwiches or wraps in said basket.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The basket is pretty pathetic with no snacks I really like. I would prefer the Stroopwaffel or snack mix found in the economy cabin on longer flights. To me, it seems that everyone wants the basket but mainly just to look because there is nothing they want!
Old May 6, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Continental used to serve a delightful chilled deli plate. Simple, but respectful for shorter flights, and flights between mealtimes.

The snack basked is just plane awful!!!
Old May 6, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I agree the snack basket is lame. It's also on the redeyes whereas they used to offer a snack plate for those who wanted it.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Gabdawg
Is it just me that loathes the refreshment basket that UA serves in domestic first class? Serve a meal! I regularly fly the SEA/SFO route.
Well Delta serves a meal, a real meal. As does AS/VX. You are just flying the wrong airline. But seriously, it is as if United's management makes no effort to see what OALs are doing, nor to realize there is some world outside of their narrow confines. Exceptions are just not part of the UA DNA, and its a real problem.

And as to the UA snack basket, it is a sad joke, at least compared to what Delta and VX are serving in theirs.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
Continental used to serve a delightful chilled deli plate. Simple, but respectful for shorter flights, and flights between mealtimes.

The snack basked is just plane awful!!!
I concur. Flew LAX-SEA last week and was surprised there was only the basket. However, I give UA a little credit for offering fresh fruit (banana, apple) in said basket.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Agreed. Would even be happy with some tasty sandwiches or wraps in said basket.
+1

Regardless of how "premium" it is framed, I just don't get very much out of pretzels/fruit/granola bars.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
I was served only a snack basket on a 3:01 hr flight on UAX. Even though the flight indicated "Breakfast"
Old May 6, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I've commented several times on the post-flight UA survey that they should serve a simple deli plate on such flights - a few slices of deli meat, cheese, crackers and some fruit or a cookie.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Micp3208
The basket is pretty pathetic with no snacks I really like. I would prefer the Stroopwaffel or snack mix found in the economy cabin on longer flights. To me, it seems that everyone wants the basket but mainly just to look because there is nothing they want!
I had a stroopwaffel from the snack basket on a flight a little while ago. And I'm sure if you ask for it, the FA would get one on request.

I do note the stuff is different almost every time though, which can be both good and bad. There are a few things I like from it - the popcorn isn't bad and I forget the brand of kettle chips they have often. I forget the brand, but had some key lime cookies on PHX-DEN last week that were pretty good. I will say I wouldn't be upset if they started putting the Garretts popcorn they sell in the back there, nor would I object to them bringing back Toblerone, which I can't remember the last time I saw it - years ago for sure.
Old May 6, 2017, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I had a stroopwaffel from the snack basket on a flight a little while ago. And I'm sure if you ask for it, the FA would get one on request.

I do note the stuff is different almost every time though, which can be both good and bad. There are a few things I like from it - the popcorn isn't bad and I forget the brand of kettle chips they have often. I forget the brand, but had some key lime cookies on PHX-DEN last week that were pretty good. I will say I wouldn't be upset if they started putting the Garretts popcorn they sell in the back there, nor would I object to them bringing back Toblerone, which I can't remember the last time I saw it - years ago for sure.
You could make a request for any items on snack menu in Y. Isn't Toblerone still on the selection list?

David
Old May 6, 2017, 11:25 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by DELee
You could make a request for any items on snack menu in Y. Isn't Toblerone still on the selection list?

David
You can, unless you get a crabby and nasty FA in F (sub CO) who says that these are YOUR snacks and the ones in the back are for Y pax, and if you want any of them you will have to pay.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:09 am

But if people keep flying UA on that route, why should UA bother to change?
Old May 7, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
I encountered this situation this week a 1:30pm domestic departure and the flight was blocked for 3 hours (exactly on the edge of the meal windows) so I was treated to snack basket purgatory:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...st/dining.aspx

SL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.