FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   The First Class Refreshments Basket but no "meal" for 2 hour flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1841085-first-class-refreshments-basket-but-no-meal-2-hour-flight.html)

Gabdawg May 6, 2017 7:32 pm

The First Class Refreshments Basket but no "meal" for 2 hour flight?

Is it just me that loathes the refreshment basket that UA serves in domestic first class? Serve a meal! I regularly fly the SEA/SFO route. Its typically between an hour forty five minutes and 2 hours in the air. Why don't they serve a light meal? Its also common enough that I end up on 2 legs of flights just under the 2 hour mark and end up with 2 grabs at the basket with 5 or so hours of travel.

I always grab something fast without knowing what I am grabbing because I can feel the glare form the folks behind me waiting for their chance at a grab.:p

nycflyer222 May 6, 2017 7:44 pm

Agreed. Would even be happy with some tasty sandwiches or wraps in said basket. :)

Micp3208 May 6, 2017 8:09 pm

The basket is pretty pathetic with no snacks I really like. I would prefer the Stroopwaffel or snack mix found in the economy cabin on longer flights. To me, it seems that everyone wants the basket but mainly just to look because there is nothing they want!

JerseyCityS May 6, 2017 8:15 pm

Continental used to serve a delightful chilled deli plate. Simple, but respectful for shorter flights, and flights between mealtimes.

The snack basked is just plane awful!!!

cranky1K May 6, 2017 8:24 pm

I agree the snack basket is lame. It's also on the redeyes whereas they used to offer a snack plate for those who wanted it.

spin88 May 6, 2017 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Gabdawg (Post 28277871)
Is it just me that loathes the refreshment basket that UA serves in domestic first class? Serve a meal! I regularly fly the SEA/SFO route.

Well Delta serves a meal, a real meal. As does AS/VX. You are just flying the wrong airline. :D But seriously, it is as if United's management makes no effort to see what OALs are doing, nor to realize there is some world outside of their narrow confines. Exceptions are just not part of the UA DNA, and its a real problem.

And as to the UA snack basket, it is a sad joke, at least compared to what Delta and VX are serving in theirs.

cruiserchris May 6, 2017 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS (Post 28277955)
Continental used to serve a delightful chilled deli plate. Simple, but respectful for shorter flights, and flights between mealtimes.

The snack basked is just plane awful!!!

I concur. Flew LAX-SEA last week and was surprised there was only the basket. However, I give UA a little credit for offering fresh fruit (banana, apple) in said basket.

findark May 6, 2017 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by nycflyer222 (Post 28277894)
Agreed. Would even be happy with some tasty sandwiches or wraps in said basket. :)

+1

Regardless of how "premium" it is framed, I just don't get very much out of pretzels/fruit/granola bars.

zxsuxr May 6, 2017 9:54 pm

I was served only a snack basket on a 3:01 hr flight on UAX. Even though the flight indicated "Breakfast":confused:

rittenhousesq May 6, 2017 9:56 pm

I've commented several times on the post-flight UA survey that they should serve a simple deli plate on such flights - a few slices of deli meat, cheese, crackers and some fruit or a cookie.

emcampbe May 6, 2017 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Micp3208 (Post 28277941)
The basket is pretty pathetic with no snacks I really like. I would prefer the Stroopwaffel or snack mix found in the economy cabin on longer flights. To me, it seems that everyone wants the basket but mainly just to look because there is nothing they want!

I had a stroopwaffel from the snack basket on a flight a little while ago. And I'm sure if you ask for it, the FA would get one on request.

I do note the stuff is different almost every time though, which can be both good and bad. There are a few things I like from it - the popcorn isn't bad and I forget the brand of kettle chips they have often. I forget the brand, but had some key lime cookies on PHX-DEN last week that were pretty good. I will say I wouldn't be upset if they started putting the Garretts popcorn they sell in the back there, nor would I object to them bringing back Toblerone, which I can't remember the last time I saw it - years ago for sure.

DELee May 6, 2017 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 28278204)
I had a stroopwaffel from the snack basket on a flight a little while ago. And I'm sure if you ask for it, the FA would get one on request.

I do note the stuff is different almost every time though, which can be both good and bad. There are a few things I like from it - the popcorn isn't bad and I forget the brand of kettle chips they have often. I forget the brand, but had some key lime cookies on PHX-DEN last week that were pretty good. I will say I wouldn't be upset if they started putting the Garretts popcorn they sell in the back there, nor would I object to them bringing back Toblerone, which I can't remember the last time I saw it - years ago for sure.

You could make a request for any items on snack menu in Y. Isn't Toblerone still on the selection list?

David

iluv2fly May 6, 2017 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 28278207)
You could make a request for any items on snack menu in Y. Isn't Toblerone still on the selection list?

David

You can, unless you get a crabby and nasty FA in F (sub CO) who says that these are YOUR snacks and the ones in the back are for Y pax, and if you want any of them you will have to pay.

deskover54 May 7, 2017 2:09 am

But if people keep flying UA on that route, why should UA bother to change?

SunLover May 7, 2017 5:28 am

I encountered this situation this week :mad: a 1:30pm domestic departure and the flight was blocked for 3 hours (exactly on the edge of the meal windows) so I was treated to snack basket purgatory:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...st/dining.aspx

SL