Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The First Class Refreshments Basket but no "meal" for 2 hour flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The First Class Refreshments Basket but no "meal" for 2 hour flight?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 5:30 am

Heaven forbid F pax should starve. Just think what pax in steerage receive.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm on the unpopular side where I don't think UA needs to serve a meal for a 1:45 flight. Funny enough, when I'm not traveling, I often go two hours at a time without a full meal .

I think the idea of the deli plate (UA and CO both used to do this) is a good one, but it only needs to be on flights that are over a traditional meal time. Maybe between 11-1 pm and 5-8 pm perhaps.
Old May 7, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I frequently fly ORD-DCA and I usually don't book paid F for exactly this reason. Especially for morning flights, turns out coffee and a stroopwaffle is totally my jam!
Old May 7, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
You can, unless you get a crabby and nasty FA in F (sub CO) who says that these are YOUR snacks and the ones in the back are for Y pax, and if you want any of them you will have to pay.
That's not as bad as the ones who won't give you one and won't sell you one. Drives me bonkers.
Old May 7, 2017, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
That's not as bad as the ones who won't give you one and won't sell you one. Drives me bonkers.
If they won't sell one, why not just walk to the back and buy one? The FA won't know where you're from.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Make a point of sending a short and succinct webform complaint to UA every time. Just 2 sentences. Nothing more. UA won't change because you send something nor because 100 people send something. But, it does track what people complain about in general.

For your particular route, you have options. Why on earth are you flying UA, when you have a choice? This one is 100% on you.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:41 am

unless people stop flying United, they are not gong to get the message....
Old May 7, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
No, I do not loathe the snack basket. In fact I really like it a lot. So do a lot of the people near me, as they often dig 2, 3 – even 4 items from it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 7, 2017 at 11:07 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old May 7, 2017, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by spin88
Well Delta serves a meal, a real meal. As does AS/VX. You are just flying the wrong airline. But seriously, it is as if United's management makes no effort to see what OALs are doing, nor to realize there is some world outside of their narrow confines. Exceptions are just not part of the UA DNA, and its a real problem.

And as to the UA snack basket, it is a sad joke, at least compared to what Delta and VX are serving in theirs.
Granted, my flight was a little longer, but you should have seen what Delta served me in F from SEA to LAX the other day - while UA flies a Barbie Jet with a snack basket (assuming the UX FA puts her People Magazine down long enough to serve it) and charges 2x Delta for paid F on this route, I was given my PDB, a choice of two HOT entrees, including a delicious seafood ravioli dish that was big enough to outdo anything UA serves on any route of any length domestic or international (actually comparable to an Olive Garden serving), and it was served with a bowl of delicious clam chowder and a macaron for dessert....oh, and we also had a snack basket enroute.

Coupled with my experience at the Delta Sky Club at SEA, I have to wonder if United is really taking this business seriously, or just phoning it in.

Delta might not give a crap about their FFP, but they sure pay attention to their product and service.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems to me that the snack basket has gotten worse since they expanded the flights that will offer this? It seems the packaging is getting smaller and the variety is getting cheaper?

The other problem is the short (flying time 1.5 hours/650 miles) morning departures only get a muffin or scone in F. I always eat breakfast before I leave home/hotel but many don't and this won't fill them up.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Gabdawg
Is it just me that loathes the refreshment basket that UA serves in domestic first class? Serve a meal! I regularly fly the SEA/SFO route. Its typically between an hour forty five minutes and 2 hours in the air. Why don't they serve a light meal? Its also common enough that I end up on 2 legs of flights just under the 2 hour mark and end up with 2 grabs at the basket with 5 or so hours of travel.
RNO-DEN is 2 h 15 m, and no meal served in F, so I am not surprised.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I have long regretted the way I used to complain about the cold chicken plate on every US Air flight of an hour or so back in the day. I would kill for a marinated chicken breast with a side of cheese tortellini and some crackers these days - on a transcon. That's what you used to get on a 50-minute from from Dulles to Charlotte.
Old May 7, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
I'm on the unpopular side where I don't think UA needs to serve a meal for a 1:45 flight. Funny enough, when I'm not traveling, I often go two hours at a time without a full meal .

I think the idea of the deli plate (UA and CO both used to do this) is a good one, but it only needs to be on flights that are over a traditional meal time. Maybe between 11-1 pm and 5-8 pm perhaps.
The times I typically saw the snack plate were on late evening ORD-west coast. My issue with it was lack of choice given what it usually was.

Wife is vegetarian, I get it, not as common (though not that uncommon), but for me, even though I eat meat, all except once it was the prosciutto plate. I don't eat that, and I'd bet less people eat that compared to chicken, or even beef. If you are going to only give one option, and its going to be meat, it should probably be a chicken dish. Or if you want to offer that, how about a second option - say prosciutto or something like a cheese/fruit plate. Or at least offer an option from the back - one of the snack boxes, etc. We did ask for that often, and sometimes they would happily provide it, other times we were told we had to pay for it (which we did a couple of times), and other times we were told ok, but only after they gave everyone a chance in Y to have one.
Old May 7, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
United doesn't seem motivated to change, despite Alaska serving meals on SFO-SEA and American serving meals on ORD-DCA. Must not impact bookings?
Old May 7, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
If they won't sell one, why not just walk to the back and buy one?
And cross the curtain? I can't even imagine what tortures the FA would have in mind for someone who did that!

Seriously, that's a good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.