Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Continental says CEO Oscar Munoz won't become chairman as planned

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Continental says CEO Oscar Munoz won't become chairman as planned

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
He sucks. They should have used this latest incident as an excuse to fire him.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by motty
A previous WSJ article which was published on the heels of the passenger debucle showed JD Power scores for major airlines.
According to those UA was consistently the lowest scoring airline in customer satisfaction for 5 yeas. Next - corporate customers complained publicly according to this WSJ article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/united-...xes-1492535023
My guess is UA board read that articles and finally realized they have a real Customer Service issue and decided to try and address this obviously systemic issue.
About time. UA destroyed the CO culture - which was more customer oriented. CO also won JD Power ratings for customer satisfaction.
To say that UA destroyed the CO culture is to destroy the English language. The Smisek culture was miserable at best.

Many legacy UA employees and flyers had great hopes about Oscar, but now worry that he is just another CO executive who will continue to destroy the United culture. CO people, ask legacy UA flyers and crew, which was better: The old UA or the new COdbaUA, which treated elites as expecting too much and "overentitled."
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:32 am

All this CO vs UA stuff is pretty silly and means precious little to anyone outside the bubble comprised of legacy employees and *some* flyers. If anything it's the continued failure of everyone to accept and embrace a shared future - and fate - that's been holding back the post-merger airline.

Yeah, the "incident" happened out of ORD i.e. a legacy UA hub, but it could have easily happened out of EWR too. I'm familiar with both EWR and IAD, so a legacy CO and a legacy UA airport, and while there are certainly subtle differences, at this point in time, they are not defining.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:36 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
All this CO vs UA stuff is pretty silly and means precious little to anyone outside the bubble comprised of legacy employees and *some* flyers. If anything it's the continued failure of everyone to accept and embrace a shared future - and fate - that's been holding back the post-merger airline.

Yeah, the "incident" happened out of ORD i.e. a legacy UA hub, but it could have easily happened out of EWR too. I'm familiar with both EWR and IAD, so a legacy CO and a legacy UA airport, and while there are certainly subtle differences, at this point in time, they are not defining.
It's old at the point. It's UA. Period. Sure, some contract negotiations took longer due to holdout unions, but the company is one and has been one for years.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by caverunner17
It's old at the point. It's UA. Period. Sure, some contract negotiations took longer due to holdout unions, but the company is one and has been one for years.
The point about not embracing a shared future is valid.

Changing a company's culture is incredibly difficult and trashing on Oscar because he didn't miraculously reinvent the company in a year shows a gross misunderstanding of how large businesses operate. Oscar certainly made some mistakes, but theres not an executive out there that hasn't.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fly18725
The point about not embracing a shared future is valid.

Changing a company's culture is incredibly difficult and trashing on Oscar because he didn't miraculously reinvent the company in a year shows a gross misunderstanding of how large businesses operate. Oscar certainly made some mistakes, but theres not an executive out there that hasn't.
Concur. I'm not ready to throw Oscar under the bus just because he didn't flawlessly handle this event.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The CO vs. UA debate again I did not fly CO enough to tell but I do know, whether in F or Y, I have a better chance of staying hydrated if the crew is pmUA

There is definitely something seriously wrong with how the company trains its employees. Some examples:

1 - the GS/1K free food/drink thing is now mostly for us to ask and occasionally argue for our free food. A well-intentioned move from the top and totally botched in execution

2 - I asked 3 different employees at the same Service Center in ORD about Weather/ATC hotel/meal for 1K and got back 3 different answers - ranging from a firm NO to a firm YES.

If they can't even get these simple things right for GS/1K, what can they get right for regular passengers?

A lot of us here hated Smisek and I think expected too much from Oscar. I am pretty sure POLARIS was planned in the Smisek era and the October MP rule changes were probably started during Oscar's watch. Personality-wise, Oscar seems a lot more approachable. Even pmCO employees did not like Smisek on that front.

Whatever happened with memo-gate, I think this is probably a compromise and having him continue to lead might not be the best idea. However, we are not aiming to have the best airline either and Kirby might not be friend to us either.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Wonder how AA's unfavorable ratings relative to UA are now after the "beat mom with stroller" incident.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/22/us/ame...rnd/index.html
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by motty
UA destroyed the CO culture - which was more customer oriented. CO also won JD Power ratings for customer satisfaction.
CO didn't need UA to kill its customer service focus. CO was happily doing that under Kellner. And I've been flying CO since the early 90s and never flew UA until the merger, so I don't have an axe to grind.

But we digress...
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
We should startup a fund to buy David Dao some shares so that he can attend the meeting as a stockholder.
By the time he cashes either his settlement check, or the jury award, he will be able to buy himself a seat on the Board.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Oscar not going to be Chairman

I like Oscar as much as I know about him, however the latest PR landmines were too much for UA to take and they needed to slap his wrist alittle more it appears.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 22, 2017 at 1:35 pm Reason: Cleanup after merge
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789
Definitely believe more companies should include customer satisfaction as part of the management compensation. Happy customers are huge ROI from higher brand loyalty, which means more money.
+5!!!! Costco and Land's End have figured this one out. Not sure if their CEOs are compensated per customer satisfaction, but both seem to have customer satisfaction woven into their core operation.

I'll gladly pay more for good customer service. Sometimes A LOT more. Would I pay for an F ticket on a US carrier? No. ME3 or Euro? Absolutely.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From a corporate governance standpoint, I agree with capitalists like Warren Buffett who believe that CEOs should generally NOT chair the board. If this announcement is because UA's board agrees, then kudos to the board.

If, on the other hand, this announcement is "punishment" for Oscar's dimwitted earlier comments about the Dr Dragging situation, and the UA board still believes that it's generally OK for the CEO to chair the board, then thumbs down to the UA board of directors.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
From a corporate governance standpoint, I agree with capitalists like Warren Buffett who believe that CEOs should generally NOT chair the board. If this announcement is because UA's board agrees, then kudos to the board.

If, on the other hand, this announcement is "punishment" for Oscar's dimwitted earlier comments about the Dr Dragging situation, and the UA board still believes that it's generally OK for the CEO to chair the board, then thumbs down to the UA board of directors.
The board that approved the contract that gave CEO & Board Chair to Oscar is a different board than today's. Recall that the activist shareholders demands for change on the board led to a new chair (Milton) and some other new members. They think differently about board governance and senior management's role, it would appear.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
The board that approved the contract that gave CEO & Board Chair to Oscar is a different board than today's. Recall that the activist shareholders demands for change on the board led to a new chair (Milton) and some other new members. They think differently about board governance and senior management's role, it would appear.
Thanks! Sounds like the new board shares the correct view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.