Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Continental says CEO Oscar Munoz won't become chairman as planned

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Continental says CEO Oscar Munoz won't become chairman as planned

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by spin88

- When we asked who people thought the worst airline in the country was in 2013 UA was closely bunched with American getting 10%, Delta 9%, United 8%, and Southwest 6%. Today, United 'wins' by a wide margin with 40% saying it's the worst airline to 10% for
American, 8% for Southwest, and 6% for Delta.
So back in 2013 under Smisek UA wasn't perceived to be significantly worse than its major competitors. Interesting.

Wish they had measured the same scores right before DDD (Dr. Dao Day). I would bet it would have been significantly better than after that incident. And yet it was one single event with four involved parties (Dao, Republic, United, Chicago Aviation cops) that IMO all get to share in the blame to varying degrees.

In other words, I think I put as much faith in these numbers as in the Freddies results.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Well AA/UA/DL give elites (a) ELR seating, (b) free bags, (c) a shot at an upgrade, and (d) at times special handeling.

WN gives everyone free bags, and from a customer standpoint is "friendlier." they also fly real planes into airports that AA/UA/DL only fly small RJs.

If I was flying once or twice a year, with kids and bags, WN would look a lot nicer too...
Also add no change fees (fully refundable award tickets) and the ability to sit forward of the wing for non-exorbitant amounts of money. I jumped to UA when I started traveling more and realized F was relatively affordable, but for someone who doesn't fly enough to make bottom status, I see no reason other than price/schedule to choose a legacy over WN and I would pay a premium to fly WN over legacy Y.

I think we're biased because the worst we usually see is the view from Row 7 or Row 21 (maybe a lesser row for close in changes), with access to the Premier lines and early boarding, etc. WN still gets most of my intra-CA business in price/schedule, and every time I fly I'm reminded what a hassle-free experience it is despite having no status. There are a lot of issues with choosing WN if you want an F cabin, extensive network, and real status benefits, but for the O&D kettle it's a great airline.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Oscar hit it off with Labor and was initially a good public face for United. His MI and return had a feel good quality to it.

The last two weeks though have shown that he really has no idea of how to run a customer service business, and his public image had been really hurt.

I don't think he is "fired", I think they will keep him around for the next few years to interact with labor, but I see power moving away from him.

Kirby has really spoken up both to employees (the JFK comments) and on the 1Q call. Reading the transcript and he is clearly now able to speak up and criticize decisions that were taken by Smisik, when Oscar was on the BoB.

I think this is another shoe to drop...

p.s. the Chris Christy comments in CNN video in the second link you posted WCUA are priceless. When Chris Christy goes after you, your days are done. No more snack mix for you....
Of course when he was announced as the new CEO, I poo-poo'd the choice, stating he did not have a clue about a customer service business, coming from the railroad business. He started off great, we were scared as goats when he was sick, but now, unfortunately, he has shown a complete lack of understanding of what United (or any airline) really is, and it's time for everyone here to be scared as goats again because having someone in charge who lacks this understanding - and can be publicly humiliated by the CEO of a competitor for their lack of this understanding, which in itself is almost unprecedented - is not a good fit for this business.

Many promises were made, a few were delivered, some were fractionally delivered, but the essence of United's toxic culture between too many front line employees and customers, remains intact, and in fact, has probably worsened considerably since the merger, finally erupting in the form of the Dr Dao incident, which has, and will continue to cost them dearly.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still don't quite understand why he sent that 2nd letter to the employees knowing it most likely would be leaked. It almost seems to me someone (maybe Kirby?) is helping him to the door?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Oscar gets re-accommodated!

Best headline I've seen on this:

https://qz.com/966095/united-ceo-osc...ors_picks=true

Last edited by Kamalaasaa; Apr 21, 2017 at 9:39 pm Reason: Fix link
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:44 pm
formerl motty

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, VS Gold, Hertz Pres. Circ, Avis Pres Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
A previous WSJ article which was published on the heels of the passenger debucle showed JD Power scores for major airlines.
According to those UA was consistently the lowest scoring airline in customer satisfaction for 5 yeas. Next - corporate customers complained publicly according to this WSJ article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/united-...xes-1492535023
My guess is UA board read that articles and finally realized they have a real Customer Service issue and decided to try and address this obviously systemic issue.
About time. UA destroyed the CO culture - which was more customer oriented. CO also won JD Power ratings for customer satisfaction.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by findark
I think we're biased because the worst we usually see is the view from Row 7 or Row 21 (maybe a lesser row for close in changes), with access to the Premier lines and early boarding, etc.
This. It's easy to forget how awful UA is for non-status fliers. Y- is dreadful and UA simply does not have the staff to adequately handle most passengers during bad IRROPS scenarios. Some of the lines I've seen at EWR have been insane. With status, we don't have to deal with those lines.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
I think most posters would disagree with this assessment....

and I think the public also disagrees. According to a PPP poll, -In 2013 United had a +20 net favorability rating (33/13). It's dropped a net 44 points to -24 at 23/47 as of today.

- When we asked who people thought the worst airline in the country was in 2013 UA was closely bunched with American getting 10%, Delta 9%, United 8%, and Southwest 6%. Today, United 'wins' by a wide margin with 40% saying it's the worst airline to 10% for
American, 8% for Southwest, and 6% for Delta.

- Currently 35% say SWA is the best airline, 20% for Delta, 14% for American, and just 4% for United.
You can disagree all you want, but it doesn't mean it's right.

Any rating that changes that fast is highly questionable. Any rating that says WN is the best airline by far shows how expectations determine the poll and not what the best airline is.

Fact of the matter is that we can say definitively that Munoz is infinity more customer service orientated the DL CEO. He's not a liar cheating his customers. Maybe all that matters is the perception of producing customer service. Might be tough to do at UA when your customer base is hard to please.

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Best headline I've seen on this:
Yikes. That's one of the worst examples of "journalism" I've ever seen. Not worth quoting.

Originally Posted by blackllotus
This. It's easy to forget how awful UA is for non-status fliers. Y- is dreadful and UA simply does not have the staff to adequately handle most passengers during bad IRROPS scenarios. Some of the lines I've seen at EWR have been insane. With status, we don't have to deal with those lines.
That would be me then. Well, UA certainly isn't awful for me. Best of the big 3 in my experiences.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:38 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by motty
A previous WSJ article which was published on the heels of the passenger debucle showed JD Power scores for major airlines.
According to those UA was consistently the lowest scoring airline in customer satisfaction for 5 yeas. Next - corporate customers complained publicly according to this WSJ article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/united-...xes-1492535023
My guess is UA board read that articles and finally realized they have a real Customer Service issue and decided to try and address this obviously systemic issue.
About time. UA destroyed the CO culture - which was more customer oriented. CO also won JD Power ratings for customer satisfaction.
I think everyone should remember Oscar didn't screw up United he is attempting to turn things around. Smisek came from CO and his team did more to destroy the customer experience, at the merged companies, than any management team in my 30+ years of flying United. This repetitive referencing to the dragging of a customer off a flight shows how the vast majority of flyers simply don't understand the industry facts on IDB and how strangely some customers react to being inconvenienced (which is after all the reality of IDB).

Only this last Thursday I flew from Beijing to Shanghai on Air China, when I got to the gate there was a crowd standing at the gate counter a good 10 people deep, this turned out to be customers from a previous flight that had been canceled. Over the next few minutes the crowd became a mob and then an angry mob, which delayed the boarding of my flight. Finely, with all the chaos the GA called the Police. Within 15 minutes there were 10 or 15 police, which brought some order back to the gate area.

During this whole experience every time someone started screaming, which was frequently and always customers, never the GA's, smart phones came out by the dozens with everyone taking video. Once the screaming stopped, momentarily, all the cell phone were put away.

My point is simply in today's world of social media you only get the bad and it's always the companies that are demonized. Frankly I'd hate to work for any airline these days, it just seems like such a thankless job, yet 99.999% of the people who work in these companies are doing a satisfactory to excellent job; we should all be judged this harshly in our job performance and then see how we feel when we get up in the morning and head to work.

Just the humble observations of a frequent flyer.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver

Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by username
I still don't quite understand why he sent that 2nd letter to the employees knowing it most likely would be leaked. It almost seems to me someone (maybe Kirby?) is helping him to the door?
Kirby was brought onboard to be the next CEO/Chairman after Oscar's heart transplant. The Republic incident just moves up the succession timeline.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Kirby was brought onboard to be the next CEO/Chairman after Oscar's heart transplant. The Republic incident just moves up the succession timeline.
Yep and if you aren't interested in elite benefits and don't mind MP being further gutted, Kirby is your man
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
I can confirm Oscar will NOT be chairman of the board in 2018. This is pretty much what the article say's. Anything else is just speculation, gossip and village drivel.

He is def not on a lot of people's good books and will have to pay a heafty sum to improve his public image which has been shot to tatters, destroyed with a flame thrower, cooked to a crisp, BBQ with hot sauce.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I think everyone should remember Oscar didn't screw up United he is attempting to turn things around. Smisek came from CO and his team did more to destroy the customer experience, at the merged companies, than any management team in my 30+ years of flying United. This repetitive referencing to the dragging of a customer off a flight shows how the vast majority of flyers simply don't understand the industry facts on IDB and how strangely some customers react to being inconvenienced (which is after all the reality of IDB).
To be fair, Oscar was on the board watching Smisek make mistake after mistake, and apparently did little to stop it. I agree he's trying to fix United, but he is partially responsible for how the merger was bungled.

The problem with United isn't customers with high expectations, as some here believe. The problem is a deeply engrained culture that treats HVFs one way and everyone else as an annoyance to be tolerated. When I was a 1K, flying UA was glorious. Once in SIN my flight was cancelled. A cart came to the gate and collected all the GS and 1K, took us to the CSR counter, gave us new tickets and we were off. My non status colleague back at the other gate? He was eventually reaccommodated but arrived home half a day later. And to this day, he rarely flies UA.

Smisek and his acolytes came in and wrecked it for most 1Ks and didn't materially improve the situation for non-elites. In fact, he made it worse by bungling operations and "fixing" a boarding process that wasn't broken in the first place by further stigmatizing non status passengers.

I'm not leaving UA. My positive experiences greatly outweigh the negative ones. I've met countless professional and friendly employees over the last 20 years, but the small number of customer hating front line employees coupled with stupid inflexible policies during IROPS is the reason UA scores so poorly when measured against the competition - not customers with "high expectations."
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by RCyyz
A few more quotes from the WSJ article:

Also of note, UA's AGM is scheduled for 24 May at the Willis Tower in Chicago. I imagine this meeting may have a few interesting moments.
We should startup a fund to buy David Dao some shares so that he can attend the meeting as a stockholder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.