FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United Continental says CEO Oscar Munoz won't become chairman as planned (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1838195-united-continental-says-ceo-oscar-munoz-wont-become-chairman-planned.html)

unitedbusiness Apr 21, 2017 3:09 pm

United Continental says CEO Oscar Munoz won't become chairman as planned

According to CBS Marketwatch

PsiFighter37 Apr 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness (Post 28212143)
According to CBS Marketwatch

Incorrect. He is still CEO; he just no longer has the contractual promotion to chairman next year as well. Definitely a result of UA3411, IMO.

DJ_Iceman Apr 21, 2017 3:11 pm

That's not what the article says at all. He is no longer a shoe-in to be chairman of the board, instead leaving it up to the board's discretion. He is still very much the CEO.

WineCountryUA Apr 21, 2017 3:12 pm

What I find is

United Continental says CEO Oscar Munoz won't become chairman as planned

United Airlines: CEO Oscar Munoz will not take chairman position

Remains, for now as, CEO but previous advancement to Chair of the BoD is now an open issue

spin88 Apr 21, 2017 3:35 pm

How long till Oscar retires?

Oscar hit it off with Labor and was initially a good public face for United. His MI and return had a feel good quality to it.

The last two weeks though have shown that he really has no idea of how to run a customer service business, and his public image had been really hurt.

I don't think he is "fired", I think they will keep him around for the next few years to interact with labor, but I see power moving away from him.

Kirby has really spoken up both to employees (the JFK comments) and on the 1Q call. Reading the transcript and he is clearly now able to speak up and criticize decisions that were taken by Smisik, when Oscar was on the BoB.

I think this is another shoe to drop...

p.s. the Chris Christy comments in CNN video in the second link you posted WCUA are priceless. When Chris Christy goes after you, your days are done. No more snack mix for you.... :)

JHake10 Apr 21, 2017 3:56 pm

There is also a WSJ article about this now (pay wall)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/united-...018-1492806979

However, an interesting note is

In a federal filing on Friday, United said its board is planning to adjust managerial incentive compensation to focus more on performance measures related to customer service.
Maybe people will be more friendly when execs up in Willis Tower see less money than they are use to!

riphamilton Apr 21, 2017 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10 (Post 28212321)

that's what piqued my interest.

RCyyz Apr 21, 2017 4:16 pm

A few more quotes from the WSJ article:

Originally Posted by Wall Street Journal
United said its board believes separating the roles of CEO and chairman “is the most appropriate structure at this time” and is “a means to ensure that Mr. Munoz is able to more exclusively focus on his role as CEO,” while an independent chairman can manage relations between the board and the CEO.

United also said its management and board “take recent events extremely seriously” and are in the progress of changing its compensation structure so incentives in 2017 “are directly and meaningfully tied to progress in improving the customer experience and in the necessary cultural and process changes in support of this goal.”

Mr. Munoz received $18.7 million in total compensation last year. His salary was $1.19 million. Amid the $13.8 million in stock awards he received was a restricted share award of $6.8 million related to his 2015 employment agreement, which was signed at the end of the year and thus the payment shows up in 2016 compensation.

Mr. Milton, a former CEO of Air Canada, joined United’s board just over a year ago and as a proxy-fight settlement was elevated to nonexecutive chairman for two years. Mr. Munoz initially was slated to add that post this year, and then that plan was pushed back to 2018.

Also of note, UA's AGM is scheduled for 24 May at the Willis Tower in Chicago. I imagine this meeting may have a few interesting moments.

Explorer789 Apr 21, 2017 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10 (Post 28212321)
There is also a WSJ article about this now (pay wall)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/united-...018-1492806979

Maybe people will be more friendly when execs up in Willis Tower see less money than they are use to!

Definitely believe more companies should include customer satisfaction as part of the management compensation. Happy customers are huge ROI from higher brand loyalty, which means more money.

minnyfly Apr 21, 2017 4:33 pm

If the news releases are true (a big "if", as always), it appears Oscar doesn't want the title.

Okay by me since I don't particularly like CEOs also being chairman.

Originally Posted by spin88 (Post 28212243)
The last two weeks though have shown that he really has no idea of how to run a customer service business, and his public image had been really hurt.

Nah, you're describing the DL CEO. On the contrary, Oscar has shown that has a service mindset--maybe too much so. An isolated incident happens, and Oscar might go too far trying to make up for it. The 60 minute rule is already a negative for customers.

spin88 Apr 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly (Post 28212472)
Oscar has shown that has a service mindset--maybe too much so. An isolated incident happens, and Oscar might go too far trying to make up for it. The 60 minute rule is already a negative for customers.

I think most posters would disagree with this assessment.... :rolleyes:

and I think the public also disagrees. According to a PPP poll, -In 2013 United had a +20 net favorability rating (33/13). It's dropped a net 44 points to -24 at 23/47 as of today.

- When we asked who people thought the worst airline in the country was in 2013 UA was closely bunched with American getting 10%, Delta 9%, United 8%, and Southwest 6%. Today, United 'wins' by a wide margin with 40% saying it's the worst airline to 10% for
American, 8% for Southwest, and 6% for Delta.

- Currently 35% say SWA is the best airline, 20% for Delta, 14% for American, and just 4% for United.

- Delta has seen an improvement in its image since 2013- it went from a +22
favorability at 35/13 to a +31 one at 45/14.

rickg523 Apr 21, 2017 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by spin88 (Post 28212511)

- Currently 35% say SWA is the best airline, 20% for Delta, 14% for American, and just 4% for United.

WN at the top of that list pretty succinctly illustrates the difference in the metrics by which the general public rates airlines versus those frequent flyers value.
Not sure about UA right now, but I'm pretty sure AA and DL would beat WN handily around here.

spin88 Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 28212548)
WN at the top of that list pretty succinctly illustrates the difference in the metrics by which the general public rates airlines versus those frequent flyers value.
Not sure about UA right now, but I'm pretty sure AA and DL would beat WN handily around here.

Well AA/UA/DL give elites (a) ELR seating, (b) free bags, (c) a shot at an upgrade, and (d) at times special handeling.

WN gives everyone free bags, and from a customer standpoint is "friendlier." they also fly real planes into airports that AA/UA/DL only fly small RJs.

If I was flying once or twice a year, with kids and bags, WN would look a lot nicer too...:o

gene2632 Apr 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Not really sure how this is going to help or hurt but Oscar will not be the Chairman of the Board in 2018. He will remain as CEO
https://www.aol.com/article/finance/...enge/22049963/

Explorer789 Apr 21, 2017 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 28212548)

Exactly what I was thinking. How many people they surveyed actually fly SW?

Like here in Chicago, I would never take a flight out of MDW, simply because it's farther from the north suburbs. From a frequent flyer perspective, their miles are worth less to me since they do not have any airline partners to redeem for international travel.