Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No longer able to book LH Group intra-Europe only flights on UA 016 ticket stock

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No longer able to book LH Group intra-Europe only flights on UA 016 ticket stock

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think OP may have misunderstood the thread topic.

The only revenue fare class on an LH operated flight that does not accrue in MP is K. Which is not at all relevant to this thread, since you can't buy a K fare for an LH operated intra-Europe flight on UA stock.
Thanks Kacee, you are right, I did misunderstand. I can book Y and J on LH intra-EU on 016 stock for next year which is what I am doing.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
Hubby has a business trip to Germany & Sofia, Bulgaria (then meeting me in VCE for a few days before a cruise). When adding in the FRA-SOF roundtrip, flight costs went up by over $2k, almost $3k. In Economy!!! The round trip on LH? Something like $300. Seriously. I had to buy the flights separately, even though he is flying directly to SOF (via FRA) for his first meeting. Silly UA.com...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 4, 2018 at 3:53 pm Reason: moved to exisiting discussion
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
LH no longer permits UA to plate its intra-European fares below full Y.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 4, 2018 at 3:51 pm Reason: moved to exisiting discussion
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
LH no longer permits UA to plate its intra-European fares below full Y.
Well that's just silly. When did this start? I was able to fly us home MRS-FRA-IAD and didn't run into this issue, and when I went with him in Feb to Germany & Sofia, we didn't run into this issue.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jmkclee
Well that's just silly. When did this start? I was able to fly us home MRS-FRA-IAD and didn't run into this issue, and when I went with him in Feb to Germany & Sofia, we didn't run into this issue.
This thread dates it to 14 March 2017.

This only affects trips which are wholly within Europe - you can still fly on a journey which includes intra-Europe segments with a discount fare, provided that the actual fare component is e.g. from the US to Europe. You could fly SFO-FRA-SOF, but not FRA-SOF. If you attempt a journey with multiple stops, it gets more complicated as you could try this with either a stopover on a longer fare component or a three-fare constructions.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by findark
This thread dates it to 14 March 2017.

This only affects trips which are wholly within Europe - you can still fly on a journey which includes intra-Europe segments with a discount fare, provided that the actual fare component is e.g. from the US to Europe. You could fly SFO-FRA-SOF, but not FRA-SOF. If you attempt a journey with multiple stops, it gets more complicated as you could try this with either a stopover on a longer fare component or a three-fare constructions.
Definitely multiple stops, but even taking VCE out of it, it was pricing at $4.4k for IAD-FRA-SOF (stop)-FRA (stop) then MRS-FRA-IAD. It was so weird as when we flew in Feb it was IAD-FRA (stop)-SOF (stop)-FRA-IAD. I couldn't even get it to price out that! Eventually got IAD-FRA, MRS-FRA-IAD on United.com, then bought 2 tickets, FRA-SOF rt and FRA-VCE. Oh well.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely multiple stops, but even taking VCE out of it, it was pricing at $4.4k for IAD-FRA-SOF (stop)-FRA (stop) then MRS-FRA-IAD.
This is a circle trip, not a round-trip with a stopover. If you priced SOF-FRA separately, I'd expect the price to drop dramatically.

I won't bore you with the details, but, in general, when contemplating a trip like this, use the ITA Matrix took at matrix.itasoftware.com to see how the fares are affected. It'll break the journey down for you on the summary screen, and you can look for red flags, like anything booked into "Y" or appearing as a one-way for thousands of dollars more than you expect. Those flights are good candidates to sever from the itinerary and purchase separately or use miles. (MileagePlus awards are a particularly good deal for one-way travel, since it's often very expensive).
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
This is a circle trip, not a round-trip with a stopover. If you priced SOF-FRA separately, I'd expect the price to drop dramatically.

I won't bore you with the details, but, in general, when contemplating a trip like this, use the ITA Matrix took at matrix.itasoftware.com to see how the fares are affected. It'll break the journey down for you on the summary screen, and you can look for red flags, like anything booked into "Y" or appearing as a one-way for thousands of dollars more than you expect. Those flights are good candidates to sever from the itinerary and purchase separately or use miles. (MileagePlus awards are a particularly good deal for one-way travel, since it's often very expensive).
I couldn't even get it to do IAD-FRA-SOF (stop) FRA (stop) IAD for a decent price (then going and purchasing FRA-VCE and MRS-FRA separately). I thought it was something with SOF. But thanks for the tip on the ITA Matrix! I did get a decent W fare for me of IAD-BRU-VCE (yeah, I know, not LH...have had good luck with BRU for upgrades) // MRS-FRA-IAD.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I couldn't even get it to do IAD-FRA-SOF (stop) FRA (stop) IAD for a decent price (then going and purchasing FRA-VCE and MRS-FRA separately). I thought it was something with SOF.
That's surprising, and may have been due to limited inventory or something. The UA W fare for WAS-SOF allows for a free stopover in FRA (amongst other cities) in each direction, and the routing rules allow you to transit FRA and then take an LH-coded flight from there. So, if there were available inventory, it should have priced the same as an IAD-SFO RT.
jmkclee likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: UA/*A:S,UC DL/ST:S Hyatt:Plat, GE
Question Only Y fares on *A partners when booking on UA.com

I was booking a return flight between two European cities and found that UA was only offering full-fares in Y on LH/LX for ~$2500. The same flights were showing up for $200-$300 on Google.

I was planning to book on UA as i'm nearly the next MP status requirements and get better MPCC benefits if I do. It used to be only a small premium vs EU carriers, but $2200 is a bit absurd.

Does anyone have experience getting around this?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 17, 2019 at 11:32 am Reason: Moved to consodidated thread
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like a plating restriction issue. In some cases you can only have discount fares ticketed by the operating airline. So there wouldn't be a workaround for getting it 016- ticketed.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
There is no way to get around this. Perhaps the Mods can merge this with the existing thread.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: UA/*A:S,UC DL/ST:S Hyatt:Plat, GE
Originally Posted by cfischer
There is no way to get around this. Perhaps the Mods can merge this with the existing thread.
My apologies, I had done a quick look but didn't see any similar threads. I thought it was a new restriction, but I guess it's been a while since I booked a flight without a TATL segment!

Thanks for your replies.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 7:26 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
How are people booking intra-Europe Star Alliance flights? I never tried before and assumed that one could on United.com, but no results are returned. (Example: AMS-CDG)
Old Jun 22, 2023, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sobore
How are people booking intra-Europe Star Alliance flights? I never tried before and assumed that one could on United.com, but no results are returned. (Example: AMS-CDG)
United.com stopped allowing people to book flights like that a couple of years ago. You can buy through the operating airline directly, or through a travel agent. Google Flights can help point you in the right direction.

Note that unless you need ot take advantage of Star Alliance Gold status, for AMS-CDG in particular, you’re probably a lot better off with KLM or Air France. *A won’t have any nonstop flights in that market.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.