Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No longer able to book LH Group intra-Europe only flights on UA 016 ticket stock

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No longer able to book LH Group intra-Europe only flights on UA 016 ticket stock

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
this sucks big time
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Yes, but isn't this a bit of a nuclear option? Means you can't do end-on-end with UA and LH for intra Europe. For example, SFO-FRA// FRA-CDG// CDG-SFO, with a few days in FRA and CDG (assuming SFO-CDG fares, or FRA-SFO fares don't allow stopovers).
LHG carriers have long prohibited end-on-end ticketing on most of their intra-Europe fares anyways, so it's really not a big issue for the example you've given.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Effective today LH group no longer allows other carriers to plate pure LH group fares. So UA will no longer be able to sell intra Europe tickets on UA.bomb and on 016 stock. UA/LH fares filed under the various JVs (transatlantic, J++, etc) are not affected.
Phew, made this by ten days when I booked for a flight in June (MAN-VNO). Disappointing as I have booked fares this way fairly often for the past few years and I love the fact all my flights are in the same place.

Does this also apply to SN? I booked for a flight (DME-LHR) in July, again before the LH change of which I was not aware, so the question revolves around the ability to book future flights.

Originally Posted by itsMoe
...For one-ways, you're better off using 5th freedom flights. You can get reasonable rates e.g. on ... NZ LAX-LHR.
Trying the NZ LAX-LHR-LAX route in June with the buy-up bidding process to the next class. UA was insanely expensive compared to NZ for the same dates and still get PQM (somewhat discounted depending upon the booking fare but the buy-up re-tickets into the higher class) but no PQD as not on 016 ticket stock.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2017 at 10:48 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
if you're buying cheap LH flights... no big loss. Just buy whomever is cheapest. I just flew a Norwegian flight HEL-ORY I bought on expedia and the only difference between LH and Norwegian is that I had to pay to check a bag as a Star Gold on LH.

Flying LH intra-European jumped the shark when they started charging star gold for bags if they bought the cheapest ticket.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:18 pm

Looks like they may have broken SK in the process. Only C fares for sale intra-Europe.

I'm also seeing K fares for sale on SN so either the LH Group rule doesn't actually apply or the website is broken.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Renard
Flying LH intra-European jumped the shark when they started charging star gold for bags if they bought the cheapest ticket.
To be fair, they charge everyone on those fares, including their highest-tier (HON) elites.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH Senator, TX Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I thought this is why we have alliances. I often have 10-15 current bookings and prefer to have them all booked through United.com. This way I have all my current booking easily displayed in the United App.

Wonder if United will follow suit. Currently it's possible to book Intra-US flights on LH.com in all fare classes...

I guess frequent travellers have to learn to live with the fact that airlines no longer see us as anything special.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by BoyenScout
I thought this is why we have alliances. I often have 10-15 current bookings and prefer to have them all booked through United.com. This way I have all my current booking easily displayed in the United App.
+1
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
The Lufthansa Group's move is in line with IATA Resolutions that strongly favor ticketing only by an airline actually part of the purchased itinerary. The practice of "off-plating" is strongly discouraged, and we will continue to see more airlines add plating restrictions to curtail the practice.
Why is "off-plating" strongly discouraged by IATA? I'd rather deal with extra LH luggage fees for its light fares than not being able to buy LH tickets on 016 stock. Very disappointing.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by UASleeper
Why is "off-plating" strongly discouraged by IATA? I'd rather deal with extra LH luggage fees for its light fares than not being able to buy LH tickets on 016 stock. Very disappointing.
It's discouraged for several reasons. I'll use United as the illustrative example.

1. Off-plating denies the transporting airline the funds from the ticket until after travel is completed. When you buy a ticket on United 016 stock (directly or through a travel agent), United retains the full value of the ticket from the moment of purchase until interline payments are settled with transporting carriers some months after the journey. Airlines actually transporting you prefer to get their money upfront.

2. Minimal money for the ticketing airline, but full exposure to handling costs and hassles before departure. If no flights are operated by United, United retains no revenue from the ticket (except a nominal administrative fee). However, United bears all the costs and hassles of handling the interline booking (both of which are often substantially higher than own-metal journeys). Schedule change? It's United that has to get in touch with the operating airline, or else find alternative transport. Move to a different flight? It's UA that has to spend time and effort rebooking your itinerary and repricing your ticket. Where seamless avail doesn't exist, substantially more agent call time is required, and that drives up costs even further. Again, all for a trip United won't realize significant money from.

3. Hassle to the customer. It might be a tad arcane, but airline policymaking is still predicated upon vast majority of flyers holding the ticket stock of the transporting carrier. Many policies like same-day changes, close-in IRROPS waivers, paid upgrades, paid seat selection, etc. require holding the ticket stock of the operating airline, so off plating leaves the customer worse off.

I thought this is why we have alliances.
Yes and no. Off plating was a much more commonly accepted industry practice in the days when it was difficult for airlines to establish points of sale globally. Between internet sales, and electronic tickets, even a small airline can basically sell tickets on its own stock anywhere in the world.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 7, 2017 at 4:47 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3. Hassle to the customer. It might be a tad arcane, but airline policymaking is still predicated upon vast majority of flyers holding the ticket stock of the transporting carrier. Many policies like same-day changes, close-in IRROPS waivers, paid upgrades, paid seat selection, etc. require holding the ticket stock of the operating airline, so off plating leaves the customer worse off.
This x1000. If it weren't for UA's rules on PQDs and earnings, few people would be trying to book entirely off-plate 016 tickets (besides awards, of course). There's little upside for the customer, as the stories on this board can tell you ("XX airline cancelled my flight; who do I get to fix it? What are my options?")
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
This x1000. If it weren't for UA's rules on PQDs and earnings, few people would be trying to book entirely off-plate 016 tickets (besides awards, of course). There's little upside for the customer, as the stories on this board can tell you ("XX airline cancelled my flight; who do I get to fix it? What are my options?")
+1

However I don't care too much about award miles. To me it is more about being able to have all my current bookings in one place and of course get PQM from the booking. Most economy tickets on LH.com are K-class and you cannot do anything about that except call to book. Since K booking class does not earn you PQM with United I will never book on LH.com.

Last edited by BoyenScout; Apr 8, 2017 at 5:32 am
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jsloan
I disagree. I like having all my travel in the UA app, even the flights within Europe when completely non -UA.

OTOH booking on LH directly allows for cheap upgrades
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:38 am

This is not entirely true. When booking an LH ticket on united.com I have always been able to upgrade the ticket to business if the fare class permitted it or pay for seats. Simply by adding the booking to my LH profile using the booking number received from United and then make the changes on LH.com.

Last edited by BoyenScout; Apr 8, 2017 at 5:45 am
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:58 am

This is not entirely true. When booking an LH ticket on united.com I have always been able to upgrade the ticket to business if the fare class permitted it or pay for seats. Simply by adding the booking to my LH profile using the booking number received from United and then make the changes on LH.com.
​​​​​​
I created a profile on LH but was concerned it would switch the flight from my MP number. Is your experience that merely putting the LH booking reference in the LH profile will not change the assigned FF# for the booking?

I have done the seat assignments on LH using the booking reference but think you are suggesting something different. I did create a profile on LH for previous LH flights but got concerned LH would switch out the FF#.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.