Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Active thread Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues"
Waitilisting for awards

Click for the current rules from United

From the above link:You may redeem miles for travel in United Global First, United First, United Business or United BusinessFirst, even if the space is not available. In these cases, United Economy in the same award type must be confirmed, and the front cabin will be waitlisted. If the courtesy waitlist does not clear, it will expire 24 hours before itinerary departure, and you will automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list upon check-in. In these cases, you will be confirmed on a space-available basis by a United airport representative at the gate once the flight has closed for check-in. For United BusinessFirst and United Business travel awards, the difference in miles will be refunded when the United BusinessFirst or United Business class segment of the trip could not be confirmed. Waitlist requests may only be made over the phone with your local United Customer Contact Center.
Member experiences:
  1. You must have a confirmed segment to wait list for different cabin and/or a different flight.
  2. Can only waitlist for UA/UX operated flight, cannot waitlist for partner flights. Can waitlist for UA/UX flights on a mixed itin.
  3. Maximum number of WL segments in a PNR is 2.
  4. When confirmed segment is on a partner, you can waitlist for UA operated alternative.
    A report of being refused waitlisting for Economy{mixed reports - need further confirmation/clarification}.

At the airport if you have not yet cleared:

Note: The correct priority term here may in fact be a code that is one of WAI, WBI, WCI, or WDI depending on status. The is per GG ONESTANDBY lines 32-55.

Originally Posted by hughw
The agent should give you “PR-1 status” which gives you top-priority status and moves you to the very top of the upgrade standby list, ahead of employees and everyone else trying to upgrade with miles+cash. If one agent won’t put you on the list as a displaced Business class passenger with PR-1 status then find another one who will. With this status the odds of you getting a business class are very high if there are still open seats (or if anybody no-shows).

If the agents in the airport are all clueless you should direct them to look
up “gg onestandby” in their system (they’ll know exactly what this is)
and look around lines 85-89 which spell out the details of the procedure for
this award.
Note: PR-1 status is given to those who "paid" the requisite miles for an upgraded seat (i.e. biz) when only the non-upgraded space (i.e. coach) was available. The PR-1 status is to clue the system (and agents) in so that it is clear that you have been "displaced." (NOTE: once you have obtained PR-1 status, should there be any change to your ticket, e.g., an involuntary reroute by UA due to missing a connection, the PR-1 status will most likely get dropped and you must have it reattached (esp. before any UGs are given to others).

Unfortunately at T-24, many GAs do not get this concept. Use the above to plead your case but be prepared to be unsatisfied. One method that can get you to a higher level of understanding is the UC. Their staff seem to not only have a better understanding of the issues, but they can contact the gate and exert some influence on the less informed GAs, AND they seem to have more of an interest in helping PAX. If you can get into the UC, it will be worth your while.

**Note: If you get the UG on the long haul, the higher level of award miles you are using (like with the GPU) are considered used up regardless of the short haul. You will not be charged the lower level # of miles (i.e. refunded the diff between the lower level and the higher level you paid in advance), rather the higher level award miles will be considered spent. That is the risk you take when you do Plan B.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
I have a flight coming up next week in Business Saver (60k). LHR-ORD-DEN-XXX. I am confirmed in IN LHR-ORD. Due to 1K status and United CC I am CPU waitlisted for ORD-DEN. I got to thinking, why wouldn't I ask to be Waitlist IN for ORD-DEN? I realize it probably won't clear in advance but neither will the CPU. Then at 24 hours wouldn't I be closer to the top of the list than if I didn't take that approach?

Maybe I am missing something. When I read the policy it looks like the approach should work on domestic United First, but I have never tried it.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
I have a flight coming up next week in Business Saver (60k). LHR-ORD-DEN-XXX. I am confirmed in IN LHR-ORD. Due to 1K status and United CC I am CPU waitlisted for ORD-DEN. I got to thinking, why wouldn't I ask to be Waitlist IN for ORD-DEN? I realize it probably won't clear in advance but neither will the CPU. Then at 24 hours wouldn't I be closer to the top of the list than if I didn't take that approach?

Maybe I am missing something. When I read the policy it looks like the approach should work on domestic United First, but I have never tried it.
Every saver award I've ever had has been "mixed cabin". Each time, I've called and asked to be waitlisted for the domestic segment. So far I've cleared every time (not a really large sample). As a Silver cardholder, I would be CPU eligible, but the probability of clearing would be somewhere in the area of 0%.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by AirMiles2001

No, you're not missing anything. You should waitlist your domestic segments, and you will have higher priority than CPU.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Data point....perhaps not too surprising, though.

I've had occasion to book about a half dozen "Plan B" waitlists in the last couple of weeks. About half the agents, said "no problem" and put me on hold while they did it. The other half said it couldn't be done, or I couldn't pay the miles now, etc., but were willing to check with their supervisors, and eventually got it done....I asked all the agents if the were PMUA or PMCO agents. In all cases, the PMCO agents were familiar with the process, the PMUA agents were not......What this says to me, besides the fact that the UA agents haven't been trained, is that there's probably an extremely small number of flyers requesting this type of waitlist, so small, that if there were more such requests, any reasonably competent PMUA agent would take the time to at least find out about the offering and guidelines.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Every saver award I've ever had has been "mixed cabin". Each time, I've called and asked to be waitlisted for the domestic segment. So far I've cleared every time (not a really large sample). As a Silver cardholder, I would be CPU eligible, but the probability of clearing would be somewhere in the area of 0%.
Wonderful, thanks for the reply. I was thinking I would wait until just a few hours before the 24 hour window to go to IN waitlist, as I figure my chances of the CPU clearing are greater than IN opening up on a domestic flight.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by hughw
Data point....perhaps not too surprising, though.

I've had occasion to book about a half dozen "Plan B" waitlists in the last couple of weeks. About half the agents, said "no problem" and put me on hold while they did it. The other half said it couldn't be done, or I couldn't pay the miles now, etc., but were willing to check with their supervisors, and eventually got it done....I asked all the agents if the were PMUA or PMCO agents. In all cases, the PMCO agents were familiar with the process, the PMUA agents were not......What this says to me, besides the fact that the UA agents haven't been trained, is that there's probably an extremely small number of flyers requesting this type of waitlist, so small, that if there were more such requests, any reasonably competent PMUA agent would take the time to at least find out about the offering and guidelines.
my favorite response that I’ve gotten has been “it’s automatic” to which I respond “then where’s the arrow indicating that” to which leads to awkward silence.

Its automatic LOL.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'm not sure if waitlisting is the answer to my problem, but hopefully someone here can help me. I'm trying to use miles to fly my dad in saver J, MEX-IAH-SCL. The IAH-SCL leg (the one I care about) is IN6 XN9, but the MEX-IAH leg is IN0 XN9. When I search for award flights with the full itinerary, I only see saver Y available, but no mixed-class option for MEX-IAH in Y and IAH-SCL in J. I'm happy to pay the saver J price even if the short hop is in Y, but UA isn't even giving me the option.

Is there a trick to book this itinerary? I'm asking in this thread because I'm wondering if the solution might be to book the itinerary in saver Y and then call to "waitlist" for saver J (I put that in quotes because presumably the IAH-SCL leg would clear right away since it's IN6, right?). In case it's relevant, I'm 1K and I'm trying to book this for 12/12.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JS_SFO
Is there a trick to book this itinerary? I'm asking in this thread because I'm wondering if the solution might be to book the itinerary in saver Y and then call to "waitlist" for saver J (I put that in quotes because presumably the IAH-SCL leg would clear right away since it's IN6, right?). In case it's relevant, I'm 1K and I'm trying to book this for 12/12.
That seems like a pretty good idea.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
I'm not sure if waitlisting is the answer to my problem, but hopefully someone here can help me. I'm trying to use miles to fly my dad in saver J, MEX-IAH-SCL. The IAH-SCL leg (the one I care about) is IN6 XN9, but the MEX-IAH leg is IN0 XN9. When I search for award flights with the full itinerary, I only see saver Y available, but no mixed-class option for MEX-IAH in Y and IAH-SCL in J. I'm happy to pay the saver J price even if the short hop is in Y, but UA isn't even giving me the option.

I think you're better off just calling the 1K line and asking for their help in booking this. In any case you're going to have to call - either to waitlist, or to book the mixed award that isn't showing up. I guess the end result is the same though. But I would call and say:
1) I see saver award available on this flight; Can you book mixed saver biz award for me? -- if no then
2) Alright, well then can you book a plan B award for both flights? And then once that's booked then you clear into biz.

But if the agent can do (1) I think you'll save time in the booking process. Since plan B can take 30 - 45 minutes even with 1K phone line.

In either case, make sure you get the official "biz class requested" on the MEX-IAH leg once you get the IAH-SCL leg upgraded.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by bigwings8
I think you're better off just calling the 1K line and asking for their help in booking this. In any case you're going to have to call - either to waitlist, or to book the mixed award that isn't showing up. I guess the end result is the same though. But I would call and say:
1) I see saver award available on this flight; Can you book mixed saver biz award for me? -- if no then
2) Alright, well then can you book a plan B award for both flights? And then once that's booked then you clear into biz.

But if the agent can do (1) I think you'll save time in the booking process. Since plan B can take 30 - 45 minutes even with 1K phone line.

In either case, make sure you get the official "biz class requested" on the MEX-IAH leg once you get the IAH-SCL leg upgraded.
Thanks for the advice. It took a 40 minute call, but the agent was able to manually book the mixed cabin itinerary I wanted, without having to waitlist. It shows up as XN on the first leg and IN on the second.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Thanks for the advice. It took a 40 minute call, but the agent was able to manually book the mixed cabin itinerary I wanted, without having to waitlist. It shows up as XN on the first leg and IN on the second.
So you didn't waitlist your XN flight in I? Why not? There is no downside.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
So you didn't waitlist your XN flight in I? Why not? There is no downside.
I meant that I didn't need to waitlist to get the saver J space for the second leg, as I had thought I might need to. Separately, I did waitlist the XN flight - it shows IN requested. You're right, no downside, although chances look slim with J1 at T-48
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: AA Plat
Does Waitlisting Prevent CPUs?

I wonder if waitlisting for I screws up the pre-gate EUA sweeps? Hypothetically, a single elite credit card holder could waitlist a CPU-eligible segment that's F9R9I0 at T-48 but zeroed out a T-24 and T-0. In which case, they would have been better off not waitlisting at all.

Sorry if this has been answered. FT won't let me search CPU.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:47 pm

Please let me know if I am interpreting this correctly.

I used 70k miles to waitlist for BOM - EWR - PHX. If my EWR - PHX leg clears into United First but my BOM - EWR doesnt clear into United Polaris Business I am due a refund of miles?

Has anyone experienced this and confirmed I am due a refund of miles?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn
Please let me know if I am interpreting this correctly.

I used 70k miles to waitlist for BOM - EWR - PHX. If my EWR - PHX leg clears into United First but my BOM - EWR doesnt clear into United Polaris Business I am due a refund of miles?

Has anyone experienced this and confirmed I am due a refund of miles?
correct, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-upgraded.html for more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.