Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down? And other UA website issues[ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated: Is united.com or parts of it down? And other UA website issues[ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
What's more likely...that, or general UA incompetence / SHARES crappiness? Easy answer IMO
IDK. There's some pretty ticked UC members out there. It wouldn't surprise me if there were a hacker or two among them. @:-)
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
What's more likely...that, or general UA incompetence / SHARES crappiness? Easy answer IMO
Agreed. There are some fiesty alcoholics upset about the UC changes, but who has time to hack when you can drink?

I've changed my mind: I think UA will be forced to honor the booked, cheapie tix. And then we'll be paying $20/glass for wine.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Gosh...why did I not read FlyerTalk on my lunch hour like a usually do....this would have been pretty entertaining to watch. I was getting pretty reasonable fares though when I was checking around 1:30 or 2.

Last edited by astroflyer; Sep 13, 2013 at 2:43 pm
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:16 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by seanp7
Lots of mileage run threads on this. Unlikely to be honored, IMO. Lesson learned: Test, Test, and Re-Test before deploying code changes to Production!
Pretty sure it has to be honored...Unlike an award ticket (see the HKG 4-mile thread), the FAA is very clear that even mistake revenue fares have to be honored.

Originally Posted by kale73
I'm not much on conspiracy theories, but
a) September 12?
b) cyber attack?

It's possible.
Occam's razor. I'm heading to Vegas soon, I'd put my bankroll on general UA incompetence/ SHARES crappiness.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Pretty sure it has to be honored...Unlike an award ticket (see the HKG 4-mile thread), the FAA is very clear that even mistake revenue fares have to be honored.
I'm with you now, based on jurisdiction and airline. Post #82 above:

Originally Posted by seanp7
I've changed my mind: I think UA will be forced to honor the booked, cheapie tix. And then we'll be paying $20/glass for wine.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by soupcxan
I'm not able to find any flight options on united.com right now. Says there are no flights regardless of the route.

Flight search and booking are currently undergoing maintenance and are unavailable for all flights on United.com and through United’s reservations line. We will restore these features as quickly as possible.

This happens in the middle of the day? Incompetence.
That is exactly my reaction. I've never in my life seen an example of a Fortune 1000 company that shuts down their e-commerce site in the middle of the work day on a Thursday to perform "maintenance" on it.

Any company that was remotely competent or had the slightest concern for customers or revenue would schedule maintenance to occur overnight.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:23 pm
PSP

Programs: UA GS 2MM, Starwood Plat
Just got off the phone with the GS desk and the agent told me they took the site down b/c "it was selling tickets for five dollars." Nice.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mitchmu
That is exactly my reaction. I've never in my life seen an example of a Fortune 1000 company that shuts down their e-commerce site in the middle of the work day on a Thursday to perform "maintenance" on it.

Any company that was remotely competent or had the slightest concern for customers or revenue would schedule maintenance to occur overnight.
I don't believe this particular maintenance was "scheduled".

If the e-commerce site of any Fortune 1000 company were essentially giving away that company's product, that company had better shut it down no matter what day or time it is if they wish to retain that "Fortune" status.

Did you read the thread (and the related one)? I would shut it down too.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
hope you took the opportunity to further reduce the yield you give to UA
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
making a fortune

If the e-commerce site of any Fortune 1000 company were essentially giving away that company's product, that company had better shut it down no matter what day or time it is if they wish to retain that "Fortune" status.
I've often heard that the best way to make a small fortune in the airline business is to start with a large fortune. That and using SHARES to power your reservations system!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by soupcxan
I'm not able to find any flight options on united.com right now. Says there are no flights regardless of the route.

Flight search and booking are currently undergoing maintenance and are unavailable for all flights on United.com and through United’s reservations line. We will restore these features as quickly as possible.

This happens in the middle of the day? Incompetence.
Had same issue on Southwest about two weeks ago at lunch time, and DL a couple months ago. Hardly unique to UA. Get over it.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
It looks like flight searches are back up.

At least I am seeing search results.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:22 pm

I don't believe this particular maintenance was "scheduled".

But that's not what the site said. My post is in response to what UA said on their site. They said they took it down for maintenance.

If, in fact, they shut it down because their engineers rolled out a bug, then, the correct language is to say the site is down for an emergency bug fix.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But that's not what the site said. My post is in response to what UA said on their site. They said they took it down for maintenance.
Exactly. But it never said scheduled maintenance.

If I take my truck in for an oil change and tune-up, that's scheduled maintenance. If I have it towed in because the engine blew up, that's just plain old maintenance (w/o the "scheduled").

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.