Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA GS
UA1899 IAH-ORD. Gate agent had group 1 and group 2 line up in their respective lanes. I pre-boarded but it didn’t look like back to front boarding from a quick glance. No mention of boarding by row either before the flight. Maybe some are starting a day or two early.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I take it you have never flown, for example, JL or SQ, which board their own top tier elites ahead of everyone else.
I actually did, JL in INTL and domestic F and SQ in INTL J. While I don't specifically remember being deprioritized for boarding on any of these flights - or at least not being asked to wait - I'm not denying that this may be their policy. If I was in fact deprioritized, it would have been for a handful of pax instead of one-fourth of the passenger manifest.

I guess the main difference between these airlines and UA would be fewer elites, no CPU's and - specifically for SQ - in general bigger planes. This mostly negates the need to protect the class-specific overhead bin space. Additionally, as is also the norm for airlines aiming for more than 3 stars out of 5, both airlines include lounge access for premium pax both domestic (F for JL) and INTL, so there is less of a need to hang out at the gate area.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 12:07 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
COVID has pushed me to do something I used to avoid at all costs...... check a bag. I hated the perceived dead time waiting at the carousel for my bag. Enter COVID and my desire to stay totally away from the scrum and board last. Now I check a bag and carry on my briefcase that fits under the seat so no issue with overhead bins. While it adds some time to the back end of my trip, it really reduced my angst over pre-boarding just to get an overhead space and then have 2/3 of the plane walk past my aisle seat while adjusting their chin straps (err, masks).
Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:27 am

Still COVID-style boarding by row numbers at CHS this morning. Agent actually called the rear of the plane before adding in F can board at any time.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by geckoflyer
Still COVID-style boarding by row numbers at CHS this morning. Agent actually called the rear of the plane before adding in F can board at any time.
"Rows 10 and higher...." "Rows 7 and higher and our first class cabin may board at any time"?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Boarding Order

Situation: A General Member books paid F from SFO-ORD-TVC. SFO-ORD is a two cabin aircraft and ORD-TVC is a single cabin aircraft.
Question: Which group does the GM board with on each leg?

(Assume not traveling with children, not military, no disability, not traveling with any companions, etc...)
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Situation: A General Member books paid F from SFO-ORD-TVC. SFO-ORD is a two cabin aircraft and ORD-TVC is a single cabin aircraft.
Question: Which group does the GM board with on each leg? ...
SFO-ORD when F boarding is announced
ORD-TVC, there will be no F boarding called, so board when eligible, likely by row.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
COVID has pushed me to do something I used to avoid at all costs...... check a bag...
Same here. Even when the BG 1-5 gets reinstituted, I'll still probably be checking my bag and boarding last until mid-May when my 2nd covid vaccine will have been suffered and two weeks passed. Only one more trip between now and then, so I'll be back to ignoring the carousel before too long.

(Knocking on wood) Been traveling monthly throughout this whole thing and have managed to avoid the virus. I like to think checking my bag was a small price to pay for the opportunity to comfortably board last and minimize my exposure to probably a few festering people
Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I would be happy to board last (as is the case with C/F overseas) but only if my overhead space was guaranteed. Never seems to be a problem overseas but unfortunately not the case here.

my motto is never check a bag when I can avoid it, and so far that has meant I have never had a bag lost or delayed in 3 decades of business travel. IMO There is no reason to check ever unless it’s a ski vacation or I have liquids that I absolutely must bring.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I would be happy to board last (as is the case with C/F overseas) but only if my overhead space was guaranteed.
It's not just overhead space that gets taken.

United cleans and disinfects all seats because of Covid. But if you don't board early, other pax touch, sit in or put their crap on your seat, so the seats are no longer clean.

This Monday I was in 5E on a 753. A guy assigned to 5F first sat in 6B. When a couple ticketed in 6A and B arrived, the guy moved to 4B.

I have even had Goldilocks sitting in my Polaris suite when I board last, usually with entitled families choosing to sit together and forcing me to move.

This behavior was rare pre-Covid but I now see it all the time, even in nearly full flights.

Is this some new Covid Entitlement Syndrome?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Guate87
It's not just overhead space that gets taken.

United cleans and disinfects all seats because of Covid. But if you don't board early, other pax touch, sit in or put their crap on your seat, so the seats are no longer clean.

This Monday I was in 5E on a 753. A guy assigned to 5F first sat in 6B. When a couple ticketed in 6A and B arrived, the guy moved to 4B.

I have even had Goldilocks sitting in my Polaris suite when I board last, usually with entitled families choosing to sit together and forcing me to move.

This behavior was rare pre-Covid but I now see it all the time, even in nearly full flights.

Without question, the most annoying thing about flying in the past few months...

I've probably been asked if I'd be willing to move by couples travelling together at least half of my flights. Sometimes I'm willing to accommodate, but I also have no problem politely declining when I don't like the seat being offered up in exchange.

Doesn't help that I also have tended to wait to board last during these times.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: UA
Well, this has made the news everywhere:
United to resume pre-pandemic boarding process
United Airlines Returns To Pre-Pandemic Boarding Policy

Even United's own page didn't mention COVID boarding process anymore:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...g-process.html

Could we get a few reports from FT-ers who happen to fly today?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond
Yep

Originally Posted by a5un
Well, this has made the news everywhere:

Could we get a few reports from FT-ers who happen to fly today?
Can confirm. Flew DFW DEN SAN and both legs by zones. And boarding pillars have made a triumphant return. As have the gate lice... not that they ever left.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Guate87

I've seen it a couple of times now - some bad apples have decided they will poach the seat they prefer and bet you won't ask them to move because of Covid since they've already settled in and the seat is now potentially tainted. Had that happen to me on a HA and UA flight.

Now that I'm fully vaccinated - I shall not put up with that again.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I've seen it a couple of times now - some bad apples have decided they will poach the seat they prefer and bet you won't ask them to move because of Covid since they've already settled in and the seat is now potentially tainted. Had that happen to me on a HA and UA flight.

Now that I'm fully vaccinated - I shall not put up with that again.
I've never sat in a seat poached or unpoached without doing a full scale wipe down of the seat, table, armrest, screens, controllers, air vents, windows, etc etc etc with my own Lysol wipes - I was doing this long before coronavirus, and with everything going on, I can't imagine anyone trusting United or any airline or hotel, and not doing their own disinfecting. Before entering a hotel room, we start with wiping the door handle, and every solid surface inside from the bathroom to the headboard is wiped down with Lysol.

Everyone really needs to be responsible for sanitizing their own space and not trusting airline employees or contractors to do it properly to my own standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.