Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:33 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
Booked DEN-ORD on UA Economy booked using TK miles, then connecting ORD-ZRH-DEL on LX Business booked using Lifemiles. It was not showing when searched together anywhere (UA, TK, LM, etc) so had to book separate.

Can the UA agent at DEN through check bags all the way to DEL? That way, no fee for bags, and don't have to go through the hassle of picking up bags at ORD, wait for LX counter to open and recheck.
I'm no expert so someone smarter than me hopefully chimes in.

Do you hold any status on UA?

If you've booked economy on UA, the agent "should" be able to tag your bags all the way thru given the interline agreement between UA and LX however you will be given the baggage allowance that your fare/status entitles you on UA. This could be one bag. The fact that you then might have a higher allowance on LX due to Business Class wont matter. I suppose it depends on the agent. And given the multi stop itinerary, unless you don't want to discover your bags in Siberia in 9 months, I'd put an airtag in everything!
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can the UA agent at DEN through check bags all the way to DEL? That way, no fee for bags, and don't have to go through the hassle of picking up bags at ORD, wait for LX counter to open and recheck.
Assuming that no layover is overnight or longer than 12 hours, they can -- arrive earlier at the airport than normal, though, as they may have to get the help desk involved.

Originally Posted by eightblack
If you've booked economy on UA, the agent "should" be able to tag your bags all the way thru given the interline agreement between UA and LX however you will be given the baggage allowance that your fare/status entitles you on UA. This could be one bag. The fact that you then might have a higher allowance on LX due to Business Class wont matter. I suppose it depends on the agent. And given the multi stop itinerary, unless you don't want to discover your bags in Siberia in 9 months, I'd put an airtag in everything!
I agree that status makes it easier. However, the way that the connecting flights get put into their system mean two things. 1 - UA's computers will see the destination as DEL, not ORD, and adjust the luggage charge accordingly, and 2 - UA often seems to use the highest cabin along the booking for its computation. I won't promise -- I'm not sure if we have any data points involving Y->J where the only J flight is on a partner airline -- but I think there's a good chance OP would get UA's J allowance to DEL.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by eightblack
I'm no expert so someone smarter than me hopefully chimes in.

Do you hold any status on UA?

Originally Posted by jsloan
Assuming that no layover is overnight or longer than 12 hours, they can -- arrive earlier at the airport than normal, though, as they may have to get the help desk involved.

I agree that status makes it easier. However, the way that the connecting flights get put into their system mean two things. 1 - UA's computers will see the destination as DEL, not ORD, and adjust the luggage charge accordingly, and 2 - UA often seems to use the highest cabin along the booking for its computation. I won't promise -- I'm not sure if we have any data points involving Y->J where the only J flight is on a partner airline -- but I think there's a good chance OP would get UA's J allowance to DEL.
Thanks a lot for the reply guys!

No status and no UA card too

Layover in ORD is 7.5 hours and ZRH is 90 mins

Flight from DEN is at 7 AM. I am super close to the airport. So can I go the day before at 9 PM or so and set things up? Or even print tags if allowed?
Old Jan 2, 2024, 1:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Flight from DEN is at 7 AM. I am super close to the airport. So can I go the day before at 9 PM or so and set things up? Or even print tags if allowed?
No, bag check is restricted to 4 hours prior to departure. Sometime those with status can get a fiw more hours but not prior day.
Consolidated "How Early Can I Check My Luggage Before a UA Flight?" Thread [Merged]
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:20 pm

I booked award travel for EWR-SFO in PP and was offered an upgrade to Business for $200 ... accepted the offer before the page could finish loading
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
By not following up immediately, you probably do not have a ticket if not confirmation in 48 hours by BR. BR has long forgotten about this and is doing nothing. And without your approval, the change to UA was likely not executed. ASAP get on the phone or you are likely to be very disappointed come February.
I did call them back and all the could do at this point was refund the miles or adjust it 7 days before or after (I decided I would just not take the flight which makes me a bit sad that couldn't take advantage before the price hike in miles but ah well).
Old Jan 5, 2024, 6:35 pm

I'm having a hard time finding a flight from Italy to the west coast in J, specifically on October 6. Could travel on the 5th, but otherwise not flexible due to work schedules. I realize we're behind the ball and the lack of flexibility is a real challenge, but we didn't know about this trip at schedule open unfortunately. I feel like I've checked all routes from Europe to North America and nada. Right now I booked a truly horrendous itinerary that I probably wouldn't ever actually take - FCO to BRU to IAD to LAX that is 30+ hours. I'm debating whether the better outcome would be to keep this and hope for a schedule change OR book an economy ticket (MXP - VIE - LAX or MXP - MUC - LAX) for ~44k / person and hoping last minute availability J opens on LH. Thoughts?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wtphock
I'm having a hard time finding a flight from Italy to the west coast in J, specifically on October 6. Could travel on the 5th, but otherwise not flexible due to work schedules. I realize we're behind the ball and the lack of flexibility is a real challenge, but we didn't know about this trip at schedule open unfortunately. I feel like I've checked all routes from Europe to North America and nada. Right now I booked a truly horrendous itinerary that I probably wouldn't ever actually take - FCO to BRU to IAD to LAX that is 30+ hours. I'm debating whether the better outcome would be to keep this and hope for a schedule change OR book an economy ticket (MXP - VIE - LAX or MXP - MUC - LAX) for ~44k / person and hoping last minute availability J opens on LH. Thoughts?
My thoughts are that it's at least eight months too early to even consider worrying. October is the off-season; there's a good chance something will open.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:18 am

I have a UA Y award in June using the Excursionist Perk CHO - BEG - CDG - CHO, ticketed last week
In my Inbox today is generic eticket receipt and CDG - CHO has been changed to 5-hour earlier UA flight
Nothing at website indicating Schedule Change to approve, it just shows the new ticket

With this schedule change, how much flexibility will UA offer me on rebooking? Is it just with the CDG - CHO or can I also ask for changes to the other legs (both which include LH)?
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shdflyer
With this schedule change, how much flexibility will UA offer me on rebooking? Is it just with the CDG - CHO or can I also ask for changes to the other legs (both which include LH)?
Any changes involving LH would require LH inventory. If you change the outbound by a day, you might be able to change the other flights by a day to correspond -- but that only really buys you anything for flights on UA metal, where you'd be able to ignore any mileage difference. Anything beyond that seems like a stretch.
SPN Lifer and shdflyer like this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:26 pm

Any fee for changing/cancelling international origin UA award flight?

Can anyone confirm by experience? I know United has removed change fees for award flights, but in places on their site there is still text saying "no fee to cancel or make changes for trips originating in the United States", which implies there IS a fee for changing non-US originating flights, but they never outright say so.

I want to create a round trip award (TPA-ZUR), and I found a great outbound available leg which I jumped on right away (as a one-way outbound) just to make sure I get it. The availability for my return options still stink, or rather, good ones (nonstop) that appear give me "due to rapid changes in partner availability, this is no longer available". I'm also quite uncertain and flexible on the return leg date, so there are decent odds my first chosen date will be wrong. It looks like none of the options both ways are operated by United, but either by Lufthansa, Edelweiss, or Discover.

If I build the trip as two separate one-way United award tickets, will I get hit with a UA change fee if buy the ZUR-TPA return leg as a one-way and later need to change/cancel the return leg (different date, or find a better routing)? And if I buy as a round trip, and fly the outbound, but need to later change the return leg ZUR-TPA, do I face the same fee problem anyway for subsequent changes? (like if they make me cancel and buy a new one-way as a return leg anyway)
Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yst33
If I build the trip as two separate one-way United award tickets, will I get hit with a UA change fee if buy the ZUR-TPA return leg as a one-way and later need to change/cancel the return leg (different date, or find a better routing)? And if I buy as a round trip, and fly the outbound, but need to later change the return leg ZUR-TPA, do I face the same fee problem anyway for subsequent changes? (like if they make me cancel and buy a new one-way as a return leg anyway)
No fee to change or cancel any award flight, the other comment is only about cash flights (and need to change the fare rules to see if there is a fee).
yst33 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 5:52 pm

It is urgent, can someone please help .

I book an award ticket business class with United using miles ( SFO ==> SIN==> PNH ==>BKK. There is 2 stops on my flight itinerary and I will fly with United Air, Singapore Air and Thai Airways .

Currently, there is 2 award ticket is available with 1 stop ( SFO ==> NRT ==> BKK) . These flights operate either by ANA and Thai Airways or ANA and JAL .

I still have a few days before my departure, Which of the following is best option to do .

Option 1 : Book 2 new award tickets with miles already in my account . Wait until receiving confirmation number from United, then cancel the original reservation. Unsure if I still have time to cancel without paying any penalty for redeposit miles to my account.

Option 2: Cancel the original reservation, have the miles redeposit to my United account, then use them to book a new reservation . I am not sure if there is any deposit fee or cancellation fee requires or not . And if I still have time to cancel without any penalty . Also, if thing does not work out well, I may loose my 2 original award tickets which is booked a few months ago .

In addition, does anyone know how long it takes United agent to get a confirmation of an award ticket with ANA and Thai airways if United agent do a booking for me .

If option 1 is best, at least I do not have to worry about missing one of my connection flight at PNH airport and my travel time is much shorter compared with the original booking.

In addition, Not sure which one is better ( ANA vs JAL ) at NRT airport and whether access to the lounge at NRT with either airline requires passenger must have the connection flight in the same day and fly on the JAL / ANA aircraft.

Please advise and thank you

Last edited by vnfilm1; Jan 6, 2024 at 6:19 pm
Old Jan 6, 2024, 6:15 pm

Option 1 is best, if new booking fails, you still have the original. A risk is UA might see Option 1 as a duplicate but UA usually give you a little time to cancel 1 routing first.
Confirmation iof an award ticket can take 24 hours and very rarely 48.

You can cancel an award booking up till nearly departure. Best to do it no later then an hour or 2.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vnfilm1
Currently, there is 2 award ticket is available with 1 stop ( SFO ==> NRT ==> BKK) . These flights operate either by ANA and Thai Airways or ANA and JAL
United does not offer award tickets on JAL. The flight from NRT to BKK would be on Air Japan, which is an ANA subsidiary. The flight will be indistinguishable from ANA service. Take whichever layover is more sensible.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.