Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2023, 9:08 pm

Angry Help with United Excursionist Perk - Conflicting Information from UA Reps

I'm facing issues with United's Excursionist Perk for my itinerary: ORD > LAX > AKL, returning MEL > SFO > SAN.

I plan to use the Excursionist Perk for AKL > SYD.

United reps are telling me I'm ineligible because my return isn't to ORD, despite both ORD and SAN being in North America.

Attempts to book online haven't worked and every UA rep I talk to says something different. For example, I was told that the return cities must be the same, which is not true. I was also told that the perk isn't available in that region, which is also not true.

Has anybody else had luck with booking this?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 19, 2023, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LMG0910
United reps are telling me I'm ineligible because my return isn't to ORD, despite both ORD and SAN being in North America.
None of the excuses that the reps gave you are true, as you apparently know.

Originally Posted by LMG0910
Attempts to book online haven't worked
What do you mean, they “haven’t worked?” The pricing is wrong? It fails to find the flights that you want? Etc.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 9:46 pm

When you say doesn't work, do you mean it won't price the segment as 0 miles, but shows flights available to select? Or it won't let you construct the itinerary at all?
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Have you tried booking online yourself? Price ORD-AKL, AKL-SYD, and then SYD-SAN. AKL-SYD should price zero. If that works, then work MEL into the itinerary as you want and see what happens. Maybe open SYD-MEL is the problem (I don't see why, though)?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 19, 2023 at 10:02 pm
Old Nov 20, 2023, 5:18 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
We now I'm getting the "Due to constantly changing inventory..." error.
I also get this error on an ORD-FRA segment - except that I've been getting the same error for over two weeks on the same flight. Phantom inventory? Or inventory is real but booking fails?
Old Nov 20, 2023, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TBD
We now I'm getting the "Due to constantly changing inventory..." error.
I also get this error on an ORD-FRA segment - except that I've been getting the same error for over two weeks on the same flight. Phantom inventory? Or inventory is real but booking fails?
UA or LH? Shouldn't happen for UA ...
Old Nov 20, 2023, 5:40 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by cfischer
UA or LH? Shouldn't happen for UA ...
LH segment on UA website.
Old Nov 20, 2023, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TBD
LH segment on UA website.
Yeah, that can happen w/ LH segments. You can try adding an intra-DE train segment, like ORD-QKL via FRA ... that sometimes helps and doesn't mess with anything (other then the bag may be delivered to the air rail station)
SPN Lifer and TBD like this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Preferred Seat Fee Forfetied if you change flights? I have an economy award trip booked and paid for preferred seats. I would like to alter the return flight to another day (same flight just 2 days earlier)... will I forfeit the fees for the currently booked flight and have to pay an additional fee for preferred seats on the new flight? Inventory is available for the award on the new flight. Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2023, 1:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Brostman
Preferred Seat Fee Forfetied if you change flights? I have an economy award trip booked and paid for preferred seats. I would like to alter the return flight to another day (same flight just 2 days earlier)... will I forfeit the fees for the currently booked flight and have to pay an additional fee for preferred seats on the new flight? Inventory is available for the award on the new flight. Thanks
If you cancel the flight / change to a different flight, your seat access fees will be refunded. Likely not until the day of flight but you can call to speed that up. If you do online, you will be charged a new fee but the old fee will eventually be refunded.

You can not change your mind and refund the fee but stay on the same flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you cancel the flight / change to a different flight, your seat access fees will be refunded. Likely not until the day of flight but you can call to speed that up. If you do online, you will be charged a new fee but the old fee will eventually be refunded.

You can not change your mind and refund the fee but stay on the same flight.
Does this refundability apply to purchasing a cash upgrade? Sometimes the cash upgrade is offered through an additional price marked on the seat map.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 3:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Does this refundability apply to purchasing a cash upgrade? ....
Generally no for a purely voluntary change for premium cabin upgrades. But you can try the GS card.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA, CSP
Originally Posted by cfischer
Yes, I'd book a back-up on UA and then search for NH F which can be tricky to find. You have a narrow travel window and F out of JFK is not always easy to get.
Thank you! I grabbed IAD-IAH-HND in J on NH. Its the old NH 787-9 but I got seat 3A which I have read is a good pick. I have found F out of JFK for 121K a few times doing random searches on United's website. Fingers crossed my luck continues and I find the dates I need. Appreciate the help.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 5:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Apologies if not the correct thread --

Have a J award ticket from TLV-IST-USA in April. Short of finding brand-new award space, are there any options to swap out TLV or drop the first segment? I know in general the answer is no, and expect that is the case here.

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2023, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Apologies if not the correct thread --

Have a J award ticket from TLV-IST-USA in April. Short of finding brand-new award space, are there any options to swap out TLV or drop the first segment? I know in general the answer is no, and expect that is the case here.

Thanks!
I’d call and see what UA might be willing to do or work with TK. I know it is April, so a long ways away, but using the ‘TLV’ card could still work.
Of course, the generic answer is ‘only when fresh inventory is available’

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.