FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1813129-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-2017-a.html)

uanj Jan 10, 2017 9:12 am

Originally Posted by kwb007 (Post 27736777)
I'd like to get everyone's input on the downgrades that are hitting the GS program. So far, It's:

1. Elimination of GS check-in lines
2. Elimination of GS/First Lounges and intro of the Polaris lounge
3. Potential elimination of GS pre-boarding (like other GS's on FT, I've been told this in GRU multiple times but the GS reps deny it will happen at the moment)
4. Significantly longer hold times (I waited 5-10 minutes yesterday to talk to a rep which is consistent with a few other posts. I'm hopeful that the grumpiness of her attitude was a one time event...but notably that was rare last year. The GS reps are almost universally fantastic.)

Please post any other changes that you are experiencing.

It's seems clear to me that this is all designed to placate the 1Ks. They make up the bulk of UA's revenue so they are getting bump in their benefits package at the expense of the GS's. Even GS signage is being wholesale eliminated with 1K is replacing it. Seems odd to have an airline downgrade it's most valuable fliers.

I think we need to wait a bit before we know how much of a downgrade we experience:

1. I've heard this too but has anyone seen it yet? What airports?
2. This is a concern to me, too, but we need to wait and see if the Polaris lounges really are a downgrade from the old GF lounges.
3. Everyone at UA is denying this.
4. This is a downgrade but you missed another part of it, the previously dedicated GS agents are now assigned to everyone as are general agents. The lack of knowledge of some of the agents is astounding. All my calls are for international itineraries. I've had agents answer the phone as a GS agent and suggest if I call back I could get an agent more knowledgeable with international fares.

LAXOGG Jan 10, 2017 9:22 am

Originally Posted by uanj (Post 27737332)
I think we need to wait a bit before we know how much of a downgrade we experience:

2. This is a concern to me, too, but we need to wait and see if the Polaris lounges really are a downgrade from the old GF lounges.
4. This is a downgrade but you missed another part of it, the previously dedicated GS agents are now assigned to everyone as are general agents. The lack of knowledge of some of the agents is astounding. All my calls are for international itineraries. I've had agents answer the phone as a GS agent and suggest if I call back I could get an agent more knowledgeable with international fares.

I'll add another downgrade.......PN space on domestic has been eliminated or significantly reduced.

nigos Jan 10, 2017 9:22 am

Yesterday I received a schedule change on an international flight returning to the US from a European city thru Munich. Instead of a 2 hour connection the connection was only 40 minutes. No way would it be possible to make that connection given the need to go thru immigration and possibly security if my initial flight had a remote parking spot. After waiting 10 minutes on hold, the "GS" agent initially spent 15 minutes trying to figure out alternatives and came back with suggested changes that would require me to pay a change fee plus a large fare difference despite having the record on the agents screen. After explaining my expectations, the agent went off for another 20 minutes and came back with another silly schedule change when all I needed was a change to an early morning flight from the initial departure city. The agent then told me that was not possible because the fare basis was not available on that early flight. I hung up, checked fare bases and determined that "A" fares were available on all segments including the flight from the departure city. Called in again, reached a real GS agent who made the change in a few minutes.

iflyuaaa Jan 10, 2017 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by nigos (Post 27737379)
Yesterday I received a schedule change on an international flight returning to the US from a European city thru Munich. Instead of a 2 hour connection the connection was only 40 minutes. No way would it be possible to make that connection given the need to go thru immigration and possibly security if my initial flight had a remote parking spot. After waiting 10 minutes on hold, the "GS" agent initially spent 15 minutes trying to figure out alternatives and came back with suggested changes that would require me to pay a change fee plus a large fare difference despite having the record on the agents screen. After explaining my expectations, the agent went off for another 20 minutes and came back with another silly schedule change when all I needed was a change to an early morning flight from the initial departure city. The agent then told me that was not possible because the fare basis was not available on that early flight. I hung up, checked fare bases and determined that "A" fares were available on all segments including the flight from the departure city. Called in again, reached a real GS agent who made the change in a few minutes.

how do you know if you got a real agent? and why does A space matter in that case? if it's a schedule change, shouldn't they book you on anything that has a seat available regardless of fare basis?

i'm new to GS. but even as a 1k, in the last 2 years, i think they would have made the change you requested regardless of inventory without a huge fight. In 2012/13 they would not have (that's when i left for AA) but since i've been back, i haven't had any major issues on schedule change reroute requests.

the only reroute request i had denied that they never would have denied pre 2012 was a VDB situation when i asked for DL, but they would rather put me in a hotel and go the next morning on UA. i finally budged and said yes but that still bugs me that i couldn't take the delta red eye.

zambonisk Jan 10, 2017 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG (Post 27737378)
I'll add another downgrade.......PN space on domestic has been eliminated or significantly reduced.

+1 :td::td:

greenpau Jan 10, 2017 6:01 pm

2. This is a concern to me, too, but we need to wait and see if the Polaris lounges really are a downgrade from the old GF lounges.u
3. Everyone at UA is denying this

On 1, at Sydney last week I noted that the GS line has been eliminated. In its place was a sign saying "Polaris/1K" and below that the "new" GS globe. I waited longer than I ever have on prior trips with several people ahead of me. Same thing at SAN as well.

On 3, when boarding at SFO last week to EWR, there was no GS. Agent did Families, Military, then straight to Group 1.

BE-58 Jan 10, 2017 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau (Post 27740221)
On 3, when boarding at SFO last week to EWR, there was no GS. Agent did Families, Military, then straight to Group 1.

Had the same experience twice at SFO last week (but in DEN, everything was normal). I had initially chalked it up to an oversight, but alas, I'm beginning to think this the new procedure.

MAJOR downgrade as I've always found this small courtesy useful in order to get myself situated before the overhead bins are filled (I'm looking at you, A319 front cabin). This is particularly valuable when seated in the bulkhead.

UA lurkers, please remind the agents of the proper process - or tell your customers that this is not happening any longer.

Plane-is-home Jan 10, 2017 6:34 pm

No more GS check in in PEK either,
But today the GA in DEN called GS together with handicapped ^

rduer Jan 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach (Post 27734978)
That is stunning

I am in my 15th year as a GS, in the early years 1-3 on TATL was the norm,only heavy ones consistently were out of Syd 7ish, new 1K me thinks....that said there was no pre boarding for GS until several years after the program started

fivevsone Jan 10, 2017 7:56 pm

This past week(thru monday) in IAD, SJC, DEN and IAH GS was invited on during preboarding.

holedigger458 Jan 10, 2017 8:03 pm

you know who you are, and you know what you are entitled to. just go up too board when you are ready.

Lawyerneering Jan 10, 2017 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by holedigger458 (Post 27740706)
you know who you are, and you know what you are entitled to. just go up too board when you are ready.

Yeah, that's not how it works. At best it's a DYKWIA move. At worst, you aren't boarding the plane at all.

kwb007 Jan 10, 2017 8:45 pm

The flight was on the jetway for boarding. I've talked with other GS's who have heard similar rumblings from other gate agents.

iluv2fly Jan 10, 2017 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Lawyerneering (Post 27740797)
Yeah, that's not how it works. At best it's a DYKWIA move. At worst, you aren't boarding the plane at all.

It's a "What I have earned and am entitled to" move. You better believe I am going to do this and call them out on it. And trust me, I'll be on the plane.

kj5hp Jan 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Long hold times

What's going on with the "super long" (yes I know I got spoiled) hold times...? Based on my time with GS status:

<2012: No ring, straight to agent pick up with them saying, "Mr. xxxxx"
2012-2016: A few rings with an automated message but very quick
2017: 5-10 minutes

Also, took 17 minutes on the phone today for an agent to add a RPU to an award ticket.... this used to take minutes.