FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1813129-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-2017-a.html)

sammyindc Jan 13, 2017 6:54 pm

Anyone else heard that the GS lobby in Newark is going away? Was told by a GS agent two days ago after checking. They already removed the pre-check area that was right outside the door. Was told it will be relocated upstairs near the regular check in areas...

Houstonflyer2139 Jan 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by tryintogohome (Post 27758060)
Nope ....I find them cheap, impersonal and as I don't live there completely irrelevant

Exactly. And now that they don't even say Global Services it just looks like a tag that I could buy in a SF souvenir shop that just happens to say United on it. The old ones from a few years ago were much nicer.

tryintogohome Jan 13, 2017 7:34 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Houstonflyer2139 (Post 27758117)
Exactly. And now that they don't even say Global Services it just looks like a tag that I could buy in a SF souvenir shop that just happens to say United on it. The old ones from a few years ago were much nicer.

Must hurt flipping from EK IO ,I used to be up in the food chain at QR when I was based in DOH , they had some nice stuff, I also ,although they are not personalized like the ANA MM tags, very classy.
Been in GS a while, feels like it is slowly being killed off

Houstonflyer2139 Jan 13, 2017 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by tryintogohome (Post 27758195)
Must hurt flipping from EK IO ,I used to be up in the food chain at QR when I was based in DOH , they had some nice stuff, I also ,although they are not personalized like the ANA MM tags, very classy.
Been in GS a while, feels like it is slowly being killed off

Yes it's definitely a different experience depending on who I'm flying that day!
Wow those are nice tags. Agreed about GS being slowly killed off, I've mentioned this before but I find it interesting how as AA starts to make CK a more open and known status, UA is going in the complete opposite direction with GS. I guess time will tell what ends up happening with the GS program.

bldr1k Jan 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Why in the world did they remove the Global Services name from the tags?

Houstonflyer2139 Jan 13, 2017 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by bldr1k (Post 27758400)
Why in the world did they remove the Global Services name from the tags?

Probably their way of making GS more "discreet."

kirkwoodj Jan 13, 2017 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by sammyindc (Post 27758072)
Anyone else heard that the GS lobby in Newark is going away? Was told by a GS agent two days ago after checking. They already removed the pre-check area that was right outside the door. Was told it will be relocated upstairs near the regular check in areas...

That would be a massive downgrade. :mad:

FL390 Jan 13, 2017 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by sammyindc (Post 27758072)

Maybe just temporarily while the security check points are under construction? There was a report a couple days ago that you could still exit out the old pre check door and skip the line to the now regular security line for pre check lite.

I'll report back when I go through there on Wednesday.

Edit: Here is that report of the new GS security config: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-13.html#496

theise Jan 14, 2017 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Houstonflyer2139 (Post 27758428)
Probably their way of making GS more "discreet."

Does anyone know if the label is also being removed from tags for other status levels?

IAHFlyBoi Jan 14, 2017 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade (Post 27756993)
Are they being cheap this year and continuing to skip tags for MM companions? I always liked to raid my wife's when my first set got ripped off. But, since last year .... not possible to do that.

I don't think they can do that, the MM Companion has to have their own kit, if your wife doesn't get her kit, call the GS line and they will send her one. I have never used any luggage tags...interestingly enough, did you guys get the luggage handle wraps? :D

manstein58 Jan 14, 2017 1:50 pm

What Marriott benefits are available to Global Service members? Thanks in advance

unitedhandcuffs Jan 14, 2017 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by manstein58 (Post 27761249)
What Marriott benefits are available to Global Service members? Thanks in advance

you can get marriott gold elite status, but then again, you can actually get it with UA 1k
someone said you can get marriott platinum with GS, I tried but no dice

Plane-is-home Jan 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by unitedhandcuffs (Post 27761330)
you can get marriott gold elite status, but then again, you can actually get it with UA 1k
someone said you can get marriott platinum with GS, I tried but no dice

I did get Platinum for GS, it even transferred to SPG.

unitedhandcuffs Jan 14, 2017 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home (Post 27761447)
I did get Platinum for GS, it even transferred to SPG.

spg and ritz let you status match from Marriott and vice versa now that they are all one company. Did you go through UA or marriott to get the platinum? I tried through UA but no luck. Were you already marriott gold (50 nights) or platinum (75days), without this match?

Plane-is-home Jan 14, 2017 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by unitedhandcuffs (Post 27761522)
spg and ritz let you status match from Marriott and vice versa now that they are all one company. Did you go through UA or marriott to get the platinum? I tried through UA but no luck. Were you already marriott gold (50 nights) or platinum (75days), without this match?

Got it thru UA. Had like below 10 nights every year before that and for the past 3 years with Platinum maybe below 20 per year.