Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:04 am

Is there anyway to force the routing of SYD-MEL-LAX-SFO.

I'm trying to get from SYD-SFO on Feb 20th and this seems to be the best way for me since for MEL-LAX RN=4. However I can't get United to give me this option for itinerary. Any thoughts on how to force this routing? Or if I call in would they be able to do it for me?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kymiller

I'm trying to get from SYD-SFO on Feb 20th and this seems to be the best way for me since for MEL-LAX RN=4. However I can't get United to give me this option for itinerary. Any thoughts on how to force this routing? Or if I call in would they be able to do it for me?
MEL is not a valid connection point on a SYD-SFO fare, so you need two combinable fares in order to get this routing. ITA suggests that you can fly Jetstar to connect to the UA flights, all on one ticket. A phone agent might be able to book this for you; a travel agent likely could as well; either way, make sure you get the W fare on the UA segments.

You can also purchase two separate tickets, although then you're not protected in case of a delay on the Jetstar flight. If you can travel to MEL the evening of the 19th, that would reduce the risk considerably.

PS: Jetstar also flies SYD-AVV, so make sure you check the airport carefully if you're buying this ticket.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

You can try but suspect the issue is a SYD-SFO routing rules only allow the non-stop and UA is not allowed to sell SYD-MEL as a standalone segment.
Try booking SYD-LAX & LAX-SFO via multi-city with the SYD-MEL on Quantas --- seems to show up for me.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can try but suspect the issue is a SYD-SFO routing rules only allow the non-stop and UA is not allowed to sell SYD-MEL as a standalone segment.
Try booking SYD-LAX & LAX-SFO via multi-city with the SYD-MEL on Quantas --- seems to show up for me.
UA no longer flies SYD-MEL as a standalone segment. I can't think of any reason they couldn't sell it for someone else, though.

I like your suggestion of SYD-LAX/LAX-SFO multi-city though. I had only tried SYD-MEL/MEL-SFO, which didn't work.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thought this would work but it wouldn't allow me to book a W fare class going from SYD->LAX via MEL... Only offered S which is no good, maybe I need a more expensive fare class higher than W?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thought this would work but it wouldn't allow me to book a W fare class going from SYD->LAX via MEL... Only offered S which is no good, maybe I need a more expensive fare class higher than W?
The forcing of fare typically fails when a non-UA flight is part of the itin, you'll need to call. Or book S on online and call to upfare.
Hopefully there is no fare combinability issue -- but you have 24 hours to cancel with no penalty.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like it's applying the fare class that you request on the connecting segment as well. In this case, search for W, K, H. H is the lowest Jetstar fare I could get to combine on ITA, and K is the lowest Qantas fare. (K is also a deeply-discounted UA fare class, so be careful with that one. I don't see a K fare on UA metal right now, but then, I'm searching as a one-way; I'm not sure what's published for the round trip).

If I search as described, I get a one-way price of US$1067.76 all-in if I select the Jetstar flight; it books into H on Jetstar and W on UA. Qantas is more expensive, but it will work the same way if you'd rather fly them.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA no longer flies SYD-MEL as a standalone segment.
I do not believe they were ever allowed to.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I do not believe they were ever allowed to.
Sorry, that really should have read “UA no longer flies SYD-MEL.” I agree; I doubt they were allowed to sell a seat on the SYD-MEL flight without a continuing flight to or from the USA. It’s possible — likely, even — that a stopover would have been allowed, as that is usually not considered cabotage.

The point, though, was that there was no reason that UA shouldn’t be able to sell a ticket on someone else’s SYD-MEL flight.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
It looks like it's applying the fare class that you request on the connecting segment as well. In this case, search for W, K, H. H is the lowest Jetstar fare I could get to combine on ITA, and K is the lowest Qantas fare. (K is also a deeply-discounted UA fare class, so be careful with that one. I don't see a K fare on UA metal right now, but then, I'm searching as a one-way; I'm not sure what's published for the round trip).

If I search as described, I get a one-way price of US$1067.76 all-in if I select the Jetstar flight; it books into H on Jetstar and W on UA. Qantas is more expensive, but it will work the same way if you'd rather fly them.
I can get this to price out when I'm just doing a one way but when I try to combine with my outbound leg (SFO to AKL on Feb 11) United only wants to sell me a B fare class from MEL to LAX as well as LAX to SFO, which is very expensive. My ideal itinerary would be:

SFO AKL Feb 11 (W Fare Class)
SYD - MEL FEB 20 (non UA Metal)
MEL - LAX Feb 20 (W Fare Class)
LAX - SFO Feb 20 (W Fare Class)

I'm searching the 2nd and 3rd leg as a single SYD-LAX leg and it finds all the connections through MEL just fine but unfortunately, as mentioned, it wants to sell me a B fare class on the UA metal.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I can get this to price out when I'm just doing a one way but when I try to combine with my outbound leg (SFO to AKL on Feb 11) United only wants to sell me a B fare class from MEL to LAX as well as LAX to SFO, which is very expensive. My ideal itinerary would be:

SFO AKL Feb 11 (W Fare Class)
SYD - MEL FEB 20 (non UA Metal)
MEL - LAX Feb 20 (W Fare Class)
LAX - SFO Feb 20 (W Fare Class)

I'm searching the 2nd and 3rd leg as a single SYD-LAX leg and it finds all the connections through MEL just fine but unfortunately, as mentioned, it wants to sell me a B fare class on the UA metal.
Just book it as OJ SFO-AKL, MEL-SFO and buy a separate ticket for SYD-MEL.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:53 pm

In the middle of an international itinerary right now. I was upgraded from US silver to UA gold just this morning. However, the itinerary still shows silver as does the boarding pass in the app. However the receipt online shows gold with the associated baggage allowance. The UA app does show my status, as does the digital card. It’s just this itinerary that does not show it.

Howsver I’m trying to get it to show UA gold for lounge access and fast track. Is there a way to force the system to refresh? I can’t edit the FF number as the itinerary is in progress.

If not, I’ll have to get it taken care of at the airport, but would love to have it worked out before then.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by eeflyer
The UA app does show my status, as does the digital card. It’s just this itinerary that does not show it.
Howsver I’m trying to get it to show UA gold for lounge access and fast track.
The digital card should be sufficient for both.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
UA680, SFO-ORD, departing 12:30 AM on 12/24/17.

Expert mode shows the following: F2, A2, JN2, C2, D2, Z2, ZN2, P2 ,PN2, R1, RN1
Flight Status shows 11 booked of 24, and the seat map shows 13 seats open in F.

For whatever reason I though F would show as F9 given the number of open seats. Is there another way to read the fare class availability?

F2 + A2 + C2 + D2 + Z2 + P2 + R1 = 13...is that just a coincidence?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
UA680, SFO-ORD, departing 12:30 AM on 12/24/17.

Expert mode shows the following: F2, A2, JN2, C2, D2, Z2, ZN2, P2 ,PN2, R1, RN1
Flight Status shows 11 booked of 24, and the seat map shows 13 seats open in F.

For whatever reason I though F would show as F9 given the number of open seats. Is there another way to read the fare class availability?

F2 + A2 + C2 + D2 + Z2 + P2 + R1 = 13...is that just a coincidence?
Just a coincicdence.

My guess is economy is significantly oversold, so United is only willing to sell 2 seats in the Front Cabin to allow for op ups.
What do the economy buckets show?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.