Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Wooglin
I know I can request ORC for a UA IRROPs that books me on AA, but if an IRROPS situation on AA re-books me on UA, would the rebook earn PQM, PQS, and PQDs?
If you attached your UA MP account, yes (and you can claim missing flight credit -- keep you BP).

Note reports are PQDs can be a bit strange in this case as the agreement between airlines will determine the ticket costs.

Originally Posted by pdxflyer12
Question on premier status. Currently I have no UA status, however I have enough non-refundable flights purchased through June that once flown will get me to silver status. Is there any chance UA for a fee or free will grant me silver status based on flights already booked? ....
Generally no, short of have status elsewhere and doing a challegne, UA (and other airlines) will not provide status in advance of earning it.

However, as you get closer, you can try but expect a "sorry not yet."
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, MileagePlus Silver, Executive National
Originally Posted by Wooglin
I know I can request ORC for a UA IRROPs that books me on AA, but if an IRROPS situation on AA re-books me on UA, would the rebook earn PQM, PQS, and PQDs?
I would imagine you'd have to fill in your respective elite account number to either itinerary but seems likely you'd at least get PQM/PQS on given airline flown. PQD might be 0 (not sure how they usually book these fares)
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:33 pm

Hi there! I usually travel AA so trying to navigate UA for a trip in Sept and could use some help. I don't have status, and I'm looking to book 2 nonstop saver seats in F class (AUA-EWR). I booked the outbound as soon I saw business saver availability.

Is there some alert or way to learn that seats have opened up, besides constantly checking? Any way to circumvent UA and go through partners? I tried on partner sites without any luck, maybe there's a particular transfer partner that can book over the phone? I have 60K tied up in United miles, so the F saver rate would be ideal.

Thanks for any tips
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by readyforvacation
.... Is there some alert or way to learn that seats have opened up, besides constantly checking? ....
Since you will be looking for I space, you can use Expert Flyer's fare alert. UA does not provide alerts.

Originally Posted by readyforvacation
.... Any way to circumvent UA and go through partners? ...
Believe for AUA-EWR, UA is the only *A (Star Alliance) choice (non-stop or not).

Partner options would be higher mileage if they existed.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Since you will be looking for I space, you can use Expert Flyer's fare alert. UA does not provide alerts.

Believe for AUA-EWR, UA is the only *A (Star Alliance) choice (non-stop or not).

Partner options would be higher mileage if they existed.
Thank you so much
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jonisflying
If you upgrade with Miles, you also have a copay ($0 - $600) depending on Fare Class. Does the copay also apply if you use a GPU to upgrade? Also, if using a GPU, am I still looking for R > 0?

Thank you!
GPUs do not have a co-pay, but can only be used to upgrade certain fare classes on certain routes.

Yes, GPUs clear into R.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
IAH to Munich in July: no discount fares

I'm trying to get from Houston to Munich for an event that is July 5. When I go to United, the only coach fares that exist are flexible economy, which runs at about $2800. Same thing on Lufthansa. Only way to get there for a normal amount on star alliance is by way of Warsaw on LOT. I thought maybe it was a Munich-specific issue, but the same thing happens when I try to fly into Frankfurt.

Will regular coach fares open up later? There are currently 60,000 mile saver awards, so I could book that and cancel if a cheap paid ticket arises.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by pinks

Will regular coach fares open up later? There are currently 60,000 mile saver awards, so I could book that and cancel if a cheap paid ticket arises.
UA tries to get a premium on its nonstops, but I would expect other buckets to show up closer to departure.

Without Plat or higher status you will have to pay a redeposit fee for award travel IIRC.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Thank you, EmailKid. I'll be gold once I transfer over some EQMs, so the fee won't be too bad 60 days out. I'll go ahead and book the reward in case something shows up in the interim.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:19 pm

priority boarding?

I'm flying DEN-NRT-BKK and my ticket shows Premier Access. On the NRT-BKK leg will I get priority boarding? It is a United ticket on ANA. I have no status with United, just have Club Card and flying e+
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by patrick999
I'm flying DEN-NRT-BKK and my ticket shows Premier Access. On the NRT-BKK leg will I get priority boarding? It is a United ticket on ANA. I have no status with United, just have Club Card and flying e+
Your Club Card preqs are only applicable to UA operated flights, without Star Alliance recognized status or premium cabin seat, you will get no recognition from other airlines.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Inventory on 4/9

Does anyone have any idea why inventory is so bad for everything east coast-SFO on 4/9? PS seems extremely full for almost a month out (selling U fares mostly), IAD is already $420+, etc. Is there some sort of SF event going on? (trying to work out whether to buy now or hold till T-21 days)
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
Sorry for not doing a more thorough search. My question is this- How many PQM's should I earn after upgrading an H fare with a GPU? Does that qualify as a business class ticket? Looks like it's now a "R" class ticket.

Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDSteve
Sorry for not doing a more thorough search. My question is this- How many PQM's should I earn after upgrading an H fare with a GPU? Does that qualify as a business class ticket? Looks like it's now a "R" class ticket.

Thanks for the help.
You won't get any extra PQM's for upgrading with a GPU. Will still get the same. It is an upgraded ticked, not a true business class ticket. R gets no bonuses.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
Originally Posted by Baze
You won't get any extra PQM's for upgrading with a GPU. Will still get the same. It is an upgraded ticked, not a true business class ticket. R gets no bonuses.
Much obliged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.