Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:32 am

I know this one has likely been answered before, but you guys would surely know. I'm trying to figure out if I should go for plat status to get a better selection of IN inventory. Somewhere in the past, I have read where it didn't seem to make a difference. Does anyone really notice a better selection with plat and above status? Regardless of the route, I rarely find much outside some off-hour mixed cabin stuff.

I definitely see more economy options with my silver status, but I have a ton of miles that I've been holding for international business class trips.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Newgene
I'm trying to figure out if I should go for plat status to get a better selection of IN inventory.
The difference between I and IN is not significant. It's occasional. Lack of business saver availability still plagues Plats and 1Ks. This is definitely not a reason to chase higher status.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
The difference between I and IN is not significant. It's occasional. Lack of business saver availability still plagues Plats and 1Ks. This is definitely not a reason to chase higher status.
Agreed. If you activate expert mode, you can see for yourself; just search for a paid ticket on the route(s) you're interested in and check out I and IN. In most cases, you'll find them to be the same.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: United 1k , Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club, Marriott Platinum, SPG platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
PQMs and PQSs - yes, PQDs - no.
PQDs only accrue for UA operated flights or partner flights booked on 016 ticket stock -- and that is it.
Thank you!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
PQMs and PQSs - yes, PQDs - no.
PQDs only accrue for UA operated flights or partner flights booked on 016 ticket stock -- and that is it.
Except when it doesn't? Had a recent TPAC (that I've discussed before) on 016 stock, with a leg on JeJuAir for which UA explicitly says does not quality for PQS & whatever other PQs one can think of. I rationalize the "016" as a placeholder for that 500 mile JeJu segment (KIX-ICN) as the check-in was separate (not at UA); however, UA at ICN clearly recognized us as Transfer pax & bags were interlined successfully. Apparently, JeJu is not a partner per se. YMMV
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BH62
Except when it doesn't? Had a recent TPAC (that I've discussed before) on 016 stock, with a leg on JeJuAir for which UA explicitly says does not quality for PQS & whatever other PQs one can think of. I rationalize the "016" as a placeholder for that 500 mile JeJu segment (KIX-ICN) as the check-in was separate (not at UA); however, UA at ICN clearly recognized us as Transfer pax & bags were interlined successfully. Apparently, JeJu is not a partner per se. YMMV
Only *A partners (and a few select UA MP partners) earn mileage credit. Non-partners, even if on UA ticket will not earn mileage / PQD credit.

The interlining of a ticket and baggage is not what is considered a "partnership." UA will interline bags to DL if on the same ticket but it is clearly not a partner relationship. As JeJu is not a UA partner but has a interlining agreement -- which the the vast majority of airlines have with each other.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Non-partners, even if on UA ticket will not earn mileage / PQD credit.
And UA's "Airline Partners" are clearly identified on the website. Airline Partners. If an airline isn't listed there as a partner, it doesn't matter who issues the ticket, you're not going to earn.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
And UA's "Airline Partners" are clearly identified on the website. Airline Partners. If an airline isn't listed there as a partner, it doesn't matter who issues the ticket, you're not going to earn.
Thanks for the comments, always something new to learn. Not to belabor the point (altho that's apparently what I'm doing), the KIX-ICN JeJu leg was 500 miles & actually was an East-to-West backtrack, so that 500 miles was effectively embedded in the subsequent UA ICN-SFO flight. As part of the learning experience, the seat pitch comfort on JeJu taught us that a 2 hr flight was just about tolerable, but a 4+ hr JeJu segment on an ICN-HAN itinerary that I was looking as a possibility for later in the year should have us consider another carrier or routing (but I digress).
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Originally Posted by scracer14
Question about checked baggage on connecting flights not on same reservation..

Booked DFW - IAH - PHX a few weeks ago for the weekend (personal travel)

Ended up in IAH today with a flight back to DFW tonight (work travel)

I am scheduled to arrive in DFW with a 50 minute layover (seperate reservations)

I will have checked baggage and not have enough time to deplane - pick up checked bag - recheck - re clear security - and make the flight back to IAH

Questions:

Is it possible for UA to combine the reservations for checked baggage purposes?
OP Update

In IAH I spent over an hour with several agents who ultimately were able to combine the reservations but notcheck the bag IAH - DFW - IAH - PHX

The only solution was to try and deplane, collect the bag, and re-clear security in DFW

This might have worked while we were set to land 20 minutes early, but seconds from touching down in DFW, ATC had us go-around. This added 20 minutes, and made collecting my bag impossible in DFW.

Fortunately, the late arrival caused a late departure in DFW - IAH, and I was able to talk a UA agent into booking me on AA DFW - PHX direct. Lost the upgrades, but arrived 2 hours earlier in PHX (and didn't have to abandon my bag in DFW)
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by scracer14
OP Update

In IAH I spent over an hour with several agents who ultimately were able to combine the reservations but notcheck the bag IAH - DFW - IAH - PHX
They needed to call the Help Desk -- if they had not done this before, your outcome is common without involving the Help Desk.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
They needed to call the Help Desk -- if they had not done this before, your outcome is common without involving the Help Desk.
Good to know as this same situation may be in the cards again for next weekend...

One question I have is, will the DFW ground crew even think to check the bags back onto the plane if DFW is not traditionally a connection airport for UA?

I'm worried that even if the bag gets tagged to go IAH DFW IAH PHX, it still goes to the carousel in DFW. Although at least if this happens UA can presumably re-route the bag to PHX the next morning.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Agreed. If you activate expert mode, you can see for yourself; just search for a paid ticket on the route(s) you're interested in and check out I and IN. In most cases, you'll find them to be the same.
Yeah, I went through a bunch of desired routes, and all were I0 and IN0. I'm still trying to figure out exactly why I would try to get a higher status, and I'm struggling. I'm Marriott Platinum, and I usually spend about $2500 to $3000 on close to 50k miles per year on average. So, unless I get a chase MPX card, I'll be in silver in any case. I could push 75k miles/year or pay for some first class tickets more often, but I'm not really seeing the value in it. If CPUs are rare, and the IN inventory is not any greater...well, you know.

On a different note, with silver, I average 3-5 slots away from CPU on nearly every flight (mostly to and from IAH). If I check in right at 24 hours, I'm usually in the 2-4 range away from the CPU cutoff. At least that's what I see locally. I wind up between halfway and two-thirds of the way down the overall starting list before boarding, most of the time. I had a couple upgrades last year, but I think they were flukes. I would think I would get a decent shot going forward if I were plat, but I'm guessing. If others say they still get buried under 1k travelers, then no I won't. I always get E+, but at least I would get it at booking.

Other than the cheaper fees to change award travel (if I ever find any), is there anything big I'm missing?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Newgene
... Other than the cheaper fees to change award travel (if I ever find any), is there anything big I'm missing?
Free SDC is one thing that comes to mind. And getting Gold the E+ at booking - which the credit card does not offer.
These may help -- see the respective thread wikis for a summary ...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...solidated.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 19, 2017 at 9:06 pm Reason: one more thought
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:36 am

Free SDC is one thing that comes to mind. And getting Gold the E+ at booking - which the credit card does not offer.
These may help -- see the respective thread wikis for a summary ...

Decent discussion there. Thanks. It looks like I'm not missing anything.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:42 pm

I requested an upgrade with miles on a round-trip flight. One leg has R fare inventory available; the other doesn't.

My upgrade still hasn't cleared (I requested it about an hour ago), even on the flight with available R inventory. Why is this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.