Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Does it make any sense to try to fight for a better compensation after receiving the automated compensation email giving 75 usd for a 14 hour flight delay?is that even possible?
Anything is possible -- but waiting will not help.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
Flight cancelled due to Maintenance. TLV to EWR.
Booked on a flight a day later.
Flying Polaris business class, Platinum Mileageplus member.

Any thoughts on appropriate compensation?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
SFP-YVR in business - missed flight due to IAD-SFO being 55 min late

Hotel room and rebooked next morning on UA in Economy (EVERY flight the next day was already full in F, not a single seat) and I didn't press issue on flying AC

YVR-SFO - maint delay - originally gate agent said my only choice was the next flight in economy as F was sold out and that would screw my entire days travels.

Called 1K desk and got re routed on AC flight in business 20 min after my original flight was supposed to leave - rest of itinerary safe

Got a $200 etc for my troubles

I asked about downgrade compensation - was told I accepted the downgrade, but I didn't. I was told they would only pay for 1 night in a hotel and I had to fly the next day, although I didn't push for AC flights, nor were they offered.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I asked about downgrade compensation - was told I accepted the downgrade, but I didn't. I was told they would only pay for 1 night in a hotel and I had to fly the next day, although I didn't push for AC flights, nor were they offered.
This is their standard line, and it's infuriating. As is the fact that they TOD and CPU the F cabin full at T-24. You're really left high and dry in IRROPS if you're in paid F. At least you got AC J on the way home.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
This is their standard line, and it's infuriating. As is the fact that they TOD and CPU the F cabin full at T-24. You're really left high and dry in IRROPS if you're in paid F. At least you got AC J on the way home.
EXACTLY

I know the rules, if they would have said fly now in Y or 8 hours later in J, then it is my choice and no downgrade compensation either way, cause i either chose to fly early in Y or later in J. i get that. BUT, not giving me an option and then not giving me proper compensation for what was precipitated by a maintenance delay is beyond frustrating and honestly not worth pursuing as the dollar amount they allocated to that flight is nothing.

I would have been 400% happier with a $12 refund as that is exactly what I am due (Technically i am due to $200 voucher as well, but ehhh) rather than a giant page long letter about how they are sorry for my travel misfortunes.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Paid $40 for a United Club Trip Pass on ORD-PDX. When my CPU cleared the Trip Pass got automatically cancelled so I was unable to use the Club in either location. Emailed 1K desk. Received a refund, 5 UA Club passes good any time for the next year, and a phone call from a supervisor who told me she opened an IT ticket for the issue.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:32 am

UA91 from TLV to EWR got canceled 4 hours before departure. Got put on the next flight out UA85 (which will get me there 13 hours late).

Got an email from united offering me to choose between 12500 miles or 250 E-voucher (I',m a 1K).

Not sure which one to choose, it's a tough call :|
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by ILflier
UA91 from TLV to EWR got canceled 4 hours before departure. Got put on the next flight out UA85 (which will get me there 13 hours late).

Got an email from united offering me to choose between 12500 miles or 250 E-voucher (I',m a 1K).

Not sure which one to choose, it's a tough call :|
How about some cold hard cash instead? You may be eligible for cash compensation per the Israel Aviation Services Law.

Link: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...vices-law.html

And here: https://www.united.com/web/format/pd...el-English.pdf
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
DEN-IAD last Friday, delayed 3.5 hrs due to MX, then equipment change. Was paid domestic F. Ended up in seat 1B with broken DIRECTV, broken power outlet, burned out overhead lamp, a seat that wouldn't stay in position, and a seatbelt light with the cover falling off - so I had light when I didn't want it, but couldn't get it when I needed it. Seat overall was a holy mess.

No automatic comp email despite the survey apologizing for the delay. Managed 10k RDM from 1KVoice though, FWIW, with a templated form letter to boot. Would have liked an ETC better but you take what you get.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by tcp1
DEN-IAD last Friday, delayed 3.5 hrs due to MX, then equipment change. Was paid domestic F. Ended up in seat 1B with broken DIRECTV, broken power outlet, burned out overhead lamp, a seat that wouldn't stay in position, and a seatbelt light with the cover falling off - so I had light when I didn't want it, but couldn't get it when I needed it. Seat overall was a holy mess.

No automatic comp email despite the survey apologizing for the delay. Managed 10k RDM from 1KVoice though, FWIW, with a templated form letter to boot. Would have liked an ETC better but you take what you get.
Wow! Sorry to hear. if you write back and say something to the effect of.. the miles are appreciated but do not serve your travel habits well, and would prefer a dollar off certificate instead (don't mention a value) they will probably send you a $200 Ecert and void the mile deposit.. Worth a quick reply to the email that came in with the 10K RDM offer..
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann
How about some cold hard cash instead? You may be eligible for cash compensation per the Israel Aviation Services Law.

Link: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...vices-law.html

And here: https://www.united.com/web/format/pd...el-English.pdf
Yes - I am definitely planning on collecting the 850$ in cash im entitled to according to the local Israeli law. Thanks for providing links to the united policy.

I do find it interesting that they are clearly aware of the law (as evident by the doc you shared) yet they send an email with much lower compensation offers.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA GS
Last week, I was on a SFO-ORD flight. We boarded on time, but stayed on the plane for over 2 hours. About an hour on the plane, the APU gave out and the cabin became hot and stuffy. We waited about 30 minutes before the engine started and air conditioning was restored. We left the gate, only to return because of a mechanical issue. All during this time, we were provide minimal information about our status. The flight eventually took off 8 hours late.

After de-planing, it was a mad house, trying to get information. The closest United Club was of little help as there was a long line. The #1 thing I learned from reading Flyertalk is to be proactive, so I went to a gate with another Chicago flight leaving in 30 minutes and placed myself on standby for that flight. Fortunately, I cleared, but I still had a 4 hour drive after arriving in ORD.

I submitted this narrative and mentioned that this was disappointing, since I perceived that United Operations has improved over the past year.

The next day, received the following response. "From reading your email, I see we let you down. That's never our intention therefore I am issuing over compensation guidelines a $350.00 electronic travel certificate"

It was a generous resolution.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by ILflier
Yes - I am definitely planning on collecting the 850$ in cash im entitled to according to the local Israeli law. Thanks for providing links to the united policy.

I do find it interesting that they are clearly aware of the law (as evident by the doc you shared) yet they send an email with much lower compensation offers.
I think they're betting that most folks aren't aware of the Israeli compensation law and that folks somewhat aware of it will go away after receiving the low-ball offer.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by sannmann
I think they're betting that most folks aren't aware of the Israeli compensation law and that folks somewhat aware of it will go away after receiving the low-ball offer.
The miles/ETC offer is a customer care offer and is separate from the cash compensation under Israeli Law. You are entitled to both.

Of course, you have to apply/ask for the cash compensation under Israeli law & the similar EU 261. If you don't ask, you don't get it.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:13 pm

This one's a bit old, but $150 (I think) voucher for non-working in-flight entertainment on DUB->EWR several months ago. The entire plane got it, I don't even care about the in-flight entertainment system, I might not even have noticed if nobody had mentioned it. Of course, when UA does something seriously wrong (doesn't happen to me much anymore, because I hardly fly on them these days), they tell you it's your fault, and fight like tigers to avoid giving you anything.

I figured I would use it on SIN->HKG. So I went to the website, put in the voucher code, and it crashed. Tried it again, same outcome. I'd like to say I was surprised by this, but I'm not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.