Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
UA 1277 CUN - LAX diverted to IAH due to passenger health emergency. Then delayed in IAH due to mechanical issue with rear overhead bin.

Still sitting at LAX on apron waiting for a gate to open.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UA39 EDI-EWR 752 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance

UA16 EWR-LHR 764 departed 7 (!) hours late at 4 a.m. due to operations ... IMO they should give a full refund for all the poor pax sitting around between 9 p.m. and 4 a.m.; what a disgrace ... looks like the delay was quick r/t run trip run for the plane to MCI .. wow

Last edited by cfischer; Dec 4, 2017 at 4:56 am
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
UA39 EDI-EWR 752 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance

UA16 EWR-LHR 764 departed 7 (!) hours late at 4 a.m. due to operations ... IMO they should give a full refund for all the poor pax sitting around between 9 p.m. and 4 a.m.; what a disgrace ... looks like the delay was quick r/t run trip run for the plane to MCI .. wow
I think that run to MCI was to take the KC Chiefs home after their game, guessing UA was short a plane and any major delays on those sports charters will probably cost them more than delaying a scheduled flight. Still not acceptable and I hope the pax get reasonable compensation for it.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:52 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu
After deplaning, it took almost two hours to get checked luggage back, due to lack of coordination between UA staff and airport authority. The more insulting part was that UA sent every one to the same hotel about 80-90 min driving time away (one way). The regular room rate is about $60 for this hotel. Some families with young kids were hit by cancellations twice (see above, B777 on Dec 2 and B787 on Dec 4).

Edit: went to united.com/appreciation and got $200 ETC as 1K traveling in economy. It seems to be low for the suffering.
I would hope they offer at least $400 for a 1K if writing to CS.

Looking back on it, it was such a fiasco, yet everyone was cooperative (maybe just tired) and UA is lucky it didn't go south as it could have.

12:30am. The plane was making ungodly stalling sounds (air conditioning pack?) on the taxi out, like I've never heard before, and then a faint smell of smoke wafted through the cabin. After going back to the gate and sitting for 4 hours (delay to 3:30am, then 4:30am, then cancel), they tell everyone to get ready to deplane, yet stand there for 20 minutes as the airport police have not authorized us to exit the plane.

4:30am, a wandering walk led by clueless/uncommunicative agents through the terminal, back through immigration (processed in reverse direction) with 2 border officials for 250 people. And being held at the end of this line for 30+ minutes as they "set up" the baggage claim area, with no communication or reason for delay. Or for that matter, any sense of why people without bags had to wait in the same line. Followed by being let out into the terminal area with not a single agent telling people what to do or what to expect next. 6am.

6am. I chose to wait in the airport and screw the hotel, since my replacement flight was the 1:30pm and almost not worth going to the hotel 1.5 hours away only to pretty much immediately return. I have no idea what the people who actually went to the hotel experienced.

There was a replacement flight at 10pm using the same airframe, but I see that it's pretty much empty. A lot of angry people.

UA is staffed for when things go completely normal and correct. They are not staffed for when things go wrong, and when they do go wrong at a distant contract station, they really go wrong. Maybe time to train / hire some more competent people to take care of when things inevitably go wrong on these routes, UA?

Last edited by TA; Dec 4, 2017 at 1:58 pm
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
A lot of angry passengers

I was at the beginning of the line and has a lot of small talks with airport staff, who had no authority. The guy at the top of the commanding chain was not there. He or she did not delegate the authority to anyone else.
A lot of passengers said that they would never fly UA again. So, UA will suffer a little more in China, unfortunately.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldtrav
And 2 departures out of FRA today delayed 21 and 23 hours. United's way of competing with Delta on completion rate, never mind they are almost a day late.
And yesterday's DL15 FRA-ATL was cancelled. What's your point?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:05 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu

Edit: went to united.com/appreciation and got $200 ETC as 1K traveling in economy. It seems to be low for the suffering.
I just received $400 after writing in. That also seems a little low for the hour of night and disorganization (though I'm sure it's purely formulaic based on the amount of delay, fare paid, status, and not the particular way it was handled).
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
What’s going on with the dec 6 ewr-Tlv? Looks like they had to ferry over a 77w from sfo.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
What’s going on with the dec 6 ewr-Tlv? Looks like they had to ferry over a 77w from sfo.
Something is going on with the 77W that came in from NRT. That one was supposed to be the EWR-TLV flight. It's still on the ground in EWR:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N2639U
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
UA917 SFO-AKL, Dec 8, currently delayed 45 mins "due to operational difficulties". Actual reason: medical emergency (while still in boarding process).

Update: Now 1 hour late.

Update 2: eventually being 1:26 hours late.

Last edited by narvik; Dec 9, 2017 at 1:15 am
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:16 am

UA121 Cancelation and IRROPs at BCN

Hi everyone,

Mods, Feels free to merge with excissting threads if applicable.

I was booked on UA121 BCN-EWR today and the flight was canceled due to mechanical. It took a little bit over 3 hours for United to cancel the flight and the handling of the delay was pretty bad in my opinion, Lack of info and once canceled they pretty much just told people to go pick up their bags and wait for instructions. Since BCN is a contracted outpost there was no rebooking available on the ground and everyone was asked to download the app to accept the new flights the next day.

I proactivly called ahead and got changed to a LH flight to Frankfurt tonight with a LH flight to my destination tomorrow monring.

My questions are the following.

No food vouchers were offered at the airport since there was no United personnel. I'm assuming people are being provided food at the hotel they got busses over to (cannot confirm what hotel they got taken to) Can I submit receipts of my meals for lunch at the airport an dinner at my hotel in Frankfurt?

Since I requested a reroute via a different airport no Hotel voucher was provided for my overnight stay in FRA, Should united cover that hotel stay since they are the reason for me overnighting in Europe?

United has reached out to me to offer me either 15,000 mile or a 300 US ecert. Does this seem enough? I normally get 200 ecerts for delayed baggage so it seem a little bit of a low ball to me.

I am currently UA Gold and will be Plat by the end of this trip.

Would appreciate any imput for the FT community.

Cheers
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
BCN-IAD went mechanical on me a year ago. We all had to wait several hours before we were bussed to various hotels and the rebooked via telephone. UA offered me a CS voucher but then I filed for the 600 Euro compensation instead. All in all, United covered two hotel nights directly and breakfast/dinner at the hotel.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
With the evolving snow chaos I doubt you ll get very far via FRA today.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Did they give out EU 261 information sheets, which they are obligated to do under such circumstances, but rarely do?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by warakorn
With the evolving snow chaos I doubt you ll get very far via FRA today.
Yeah flying into FRA is probably not a great idea. Kettle to fire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.