Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Row 1 .... I always hated Row 1 in GF on the 777/767 because of noise and light from the forward galley. How is the galley in relation to the Polaris seats on 773? Has noise/light/chatter been a problem?
Hard for me to say since I have never been bothered by galley noise, but judging on how quiet I found Row 1 of GF, I'm thinking you would be much happier in 3 or 5 on the 77W. The footwells are not small at all.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Hard for me to say since I have never been bothered by galley noise, but judging on how quiet I found Row 1 of GF, I'm thinking you would be much happier in 3 or 5 on the 77W. The footwells are not small at all.
Agree. If sensitive to galley and lav distractions, row 1 is not for you. In addition to rows 3 and 5, if you don't mind engine noise, row 15 is also a good choice.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Does anyone have a seat map for the PE reconfigured planes? Seems like my brother is on one flying home later this week and trying to figure out if he got bamboozled out of E+
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by adambadam
Does anyone have a seat map for the PE reconfigured planes? Seems like my brother is on one flying home later this week and trying to figure out if he got bamboozled out of E+
check the Wiki of this thread
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kevinsac
check the Wiki of this thread
Huh? They're asking about the PE version. Not pictured here.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Do the seat G,L passengers in front cabin heading to forward labs cut thru a galley to get there, or it similar to theHawaii 772s (more of a bulkhead divider)? I assume the last few rows (5-8) might opt for the mid-cabin lav. Leaning towards 3L for less traffic/noise.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Do the seat G,L passengers in front cabin heading to forward labs cut thru a galley to get there, or it similar to theHawaii 772s (more of a bulkhead divider)? I assume the last few rows (5-8) might opt for the mid-cabin lav. Leaning towards 3L for less traffic/noise.
You cross through the galley. I've sat in 3L and 5L multiple times and would typically use the mid-cabin lavs. Rows 3 and 5 are very similar. I do think there's less traffic on the L side.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
You cross through the galley. I've sat in 3L and 5L multiple times and would typically use the mid-cabin lavs. Rows 3 and 5 are very similar. I do think there's less traffic on the L side.
Thanks - 3L it is. 1st time w/ Polaris hard product.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:39 pm

Thanks - 3L it is. 1st time w/ Polaris hard product.
Enjoy!
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
9A/L is definitely my favorite seat(s).

This past trip EWR-NRT, was my first time not getting that seat. I ended up in 17A and didn't like it.
1. It is right next to the engine. It is louder but it isnt really very bothersome normally. However, when I went to sleep and was sleeping on my side (ear to pillow), it felt like the vibration of the engine was being transmitted directly into my ear.
2. I'm normally a stomach/side sleeper. Sleeping on my stomach is problematic on every seat. On my side, the footwell is too narrow if I want to bend my legs. I don't have this issue in 9A/L. If I try to sleep on my back, I end up hitting my shin against the tray table if I bend my legs. (That is true of 9A/L too though).
3. The vent SEEMs weaker back there vs in 9A/L. I got really hot back there. I don't know if it was a coincidence just that day or if it is something with the design.
4. In row 9 there is storage for your stuff on top of the IFE (though some FA's don't like this).
5. You have a higher chance of not getting your food choice if the FA decides to go front to back.
6. Row 9 is right next to the Lav. I really like the A side handicap lav. It's easier to jump up and get in there when you are close. I can hear flushing and if my feet are planted against the front wall, I can feel it. Every now and then, someone leaves the door open and I get a little bit of odor (but the high power vents help).
7. Row 9 can be a little more noisy because the food bar area is there. But the FA's hang out in the area forward of that so it isnt really very bothersome to me.
Ofcourse I am getting pretty particular here. I still prefer this over the old J seats.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
Row 9 is right next to the Lav.
That's a disqualifying negative in my book. I don't mind walking an extra 15 feet

Row 9 can be a little more noisy because the food bar area is there. But the FA's hang out in the area forward of that so it isnt really very bothersome to me.
That just depends on the crew. I've had plenty of flights where the crew has done its hanging and chatting in the mid-cabin galley.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's a disqualifying negative in my book. I don't mind walking an extra 15 feet

That just depends on the crew. I've had plenty of flights where the crew has done its hanging and chatting in the mid-cabin galley.

I like to wait til I see a guy step out of the handicap lav, then get up really quick and get in there. I seem to be able to accomplish this from row 9, but row 17, someone (the person in row 9) beats me to the punch and I'm left standing next to the lav waiting instead and having confused pax and crew wondering why I'm waiting there when the lav on the other side is vacant.

The only thing that would really bother me about a lav is if there were an odor. It is far enough away that it isnt a problem for me. I guess in J, I don't really have much issue with traffic since there are less people. It's not like sitting in the last row in Y where you have a line there for the entire flight.

As for the crew, I've seen them hanging out in the "galley" area just forward of the "snack area". Basically forward of the lav. So noise has not been an issue for me. It seems like the FA's are supposed to hang out there versus the "snack area". But YMMV ofcourse.

Yes I'm nitpicking here, I guess I value the wider footwell quite high due to the way that I like to sleep.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...the "snack area"...
You mean (in a deep voice) "The Mid-flight Hospitality Area". I can also nit pick.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:55 pm

As for the crew, I've seen them hanging out in the "galley" area just forward of the "snack area". Basically forward of the lav. So noise has not been an issue for me. It seems like the FA's are supposed to hang out there versus the "snack area"
You mean (in a deep voice) "The Mid-flight Hospitality Area"
aka the "carbo-loading zone."
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Do all the forward-facing Polaris seats (non-angled) have the same big foot well? Specifically 3D/G?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.