Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
BE fares can be neither upgraded nor changed, and I can't get an E+ seat at booking even if I don't care about an upgrade and know that I won't change the flight.
Agreed that BE fares can't be changed although the only free changes you'll get with a normal economy ticket are same-day which in my experience doesn't make much of a difference. Otherwise, you'll easily spend hundreds in change fees and fare difference which often negate any cost savings versus buying a new ticket. Having swung the bat countless times with milage upgrades, GPUs sponsored by a GS member or praying for a ToD leads me to believe that these upgrades are mythical (either that or I am extremely unlucky and/or cheap). While UA doesn't publicize it, it is possible to get a free E+ seat with your Basic Economy ticket depending on how you ticket the flight and I'll leave it at that . Otherwise, travelling Basic Economy I'll still get my meal, 3 checked bags on TATL flights (or 2 on domestic) and most importantly lounge access. While the reduction in PQM does sting a little, I travel enough on TPAC k fares to ensure my continued renewal of Gold status.

-James
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Agreed that BE fares can't be changed although the only free changes you'll get with a normal economy ticket are same-day which in my experience doesn't make much of a difference. Otherwise, you'll easily spend hundreds in change fees and fare difference which often negate any cost savings versus buying a new ticket.
I use SDC regularly (although it's gotten somewhat more difficult recently). And I will happily pay a $300 change fee to rescue a $1000 ticket if I can no longer use it as scheduled.

Having swung the bat countless times with milage upgrades, GPUs sponsored by a GS member or praying for a ToD leads me to believe that these upgrades are mythical (either that or I am extremely unlucky and/or cheap).
I was able to use all of my GPUs each of the past two years. I'm 1/1 so far this year, although I did end up making some alternative travel plans for this summer due to a lack of PZ space. I've only ever waitlisted one (P->O on LH during the window that was possible).

While UA doesn't publicize it, it is possible to get a free E+ seat with your Basic Economy ticket depending on how you ticket the flight and I'll leave it at that
Yes, I saw that, and if I were flying a route with no hope to upgrade and a tiny likelihood of needing to make a change, I might take advantage of it. So far, it hasn't come up.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Agreed that BE fares can't be changed although the only free changes you'll get with a normal economy ticket are same-day which in my experience doesn't make much of a difference.
Another great example of how different everyone’s travel styles are. Same day flight changes are absolutely crucial to what I do for a living. That’s — by far — the best 1K benefit I get. Bar none.

But again, I’m a domestic road warrior. BE is a nonstarter for me.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:04 pm

I use SDC regularly (although it's gotten somewhat more difficult recently). And I will happily pay a $300 change fee to rescue a $1000 ticket if I can no longer use it as scheduled.
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Another great example of how different everyone’s travel styles are. Same day flight changes are absolutely crucial to what I do for a living. That’s — by far — the best 1K benefit I get. Bar none.

But again, I’m a domestic road warrior. BE is a nonstarter for me.
Agreed on the travel patterns bit. If I'm confirmed for a major conference or are planning travel related to the degree I'm pursuing internationally, then I have great certainty of when I need to be at a certain place. Same day changes and flexibility don't mean much for me in that circumstance. And in any event, when you're paying around $320 roundtrip from LHR to SFO in Basic Economy it wouldn't make sense to make a change, even if UA allowed it given the change fees alone would surpass the value of the ticket! On the other hand, I've also seen the other side, where I'm vacationing in HNL and want to spend a couple extra hours on the beech. Being able to pick up my phone and select a late departure out of HNL for nothing extra is real value.

I was able to use all of my GPUs each of the past two years. I'm 1/1 so far this year, although I did end up making some alternative travel plans for this summer due to a lack of PZ space. I've only ever waitlisted one (P->O on LH during the window that was possible).
Out of curiosity, what was your upgrade strategy once you ran out of certificates? ToDs? MUAs?

-James
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Agreed on the travel patterns bit. If I'm confirmed for a major conference or are planning travel related to the degree I'm pursuing internationally, then I have great certainty of when I need to be at a certain place. Same day changes and flexibility don't mean much for me in that circumstance. And in any event, when you're paying around $320 roundtrip from LHR to SFO in Basic Economy it wouldn't make sense to make a change, even if UA allowed it given the change fees alone would surpass the value of the ticket! On the other hand, I've also seen the other side, where I'm vacationing in HNL and want to spend a couple extra hours on the beech. Being able to pick up my phone and select a late departure out of HNL for nothing extra is real value.
That's exactly what I mean... my travel patterns are the total polar opposite. The vast majority of my travel is work related, and constantly changing. Customers cancel meetings, change times, change locations, all kinds of crazy things. Sometimes meetings wrap up early, sometimes they go long. Being able to adjust my schedule on the fly with SDC's means I get to come home to my family in situations where I couldn't otherwise. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten to sleep in my own bed, or get to my son's little league game, or just have a dinner with the family because of SDC's.

On the other hand - my vacation schedules are usually fixed in stone. Those are the least likely times I am to make any kind of change.

Not sure I understand your point about LHR-SFO. SDC's carry no fee for Platinums and up. That's why they're so valuable, and why I'd never consider BE in any form. That's the main, primary driver for me to reach at least Platinum annually. 1K is even nicer of course, but I can still be effective with Platinum.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Out of curiosity, what was your upgrade strategy once you ran out of certificates? ToDs? MUAs?
Mostly CPUs, because most of my travel is domestic. However, when I had additional long-haul trips beyond those covered by my certificates, I used awards.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Basic Economy is often the way to go these ways with UA. I challenge anyone on the forum to provide a compelling reason to fork over the often $100+ roundtrip to go from Basic Economy to Economy.
50% PQM/0.5 PQS? Middle seat?

I pay the cost to get out of N fares (E fares on DL, X fares on AS, B fares on AA) - usually $30 each way for flights across the country. PP alone is worth the price of admission, but even with no potential for upgrades, being near the front of the plane (e.g. E+) would allow me to get to my destination or back home faster.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Basic Economy is often the way to go these ways with UA. I challenge anyone on the forum to provide a compelling reason to fork over the often $100+ roundtrip to go from Basic Economy to Economy.
I’ve mostly seen $60 round trip recently (used to be $30-50, but more recently, at least on my routes, $60 is the norm now, and distance seems not to be a factor any longer).

Changes are the big thing for me. I’ve got young kids, and even though our travel is mostly leisure, and I haven't bought a ticket less than $200 (the change fee) probably in 10 years,’maybe longer (based out of a medium aize Midwest city), and you just never know when kids get sick last minute, etc. so even though changes don’t happen super often, they do, and losing the full value is just not something I’m willing to do. Seating the family together is also problematic - I realize you can buy seats now, but then when looking at the all in costs, makes it even less reasonable to buy BE because the delta between BE and regular becomes that much smaller. Add in the extra room in E+ helps, and it’s a no brainer.

And that doesn’t even include anything about mileage/PQM - We are often close to the threshold, so even a trip or two with reduced PQM can mean a lower level (only silver this year, but many years we only were gold by a few hundred miles
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
$98 BE versus $149 SAN-DEN. As a 1k, I'll take the $50 and sit in back. I'll let you know if I get my free 1k snack.

Southwest wanted $350...
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
1K Companions on BE Ticket

I am 1K flying on a regular economy ticket. My cousins will be on a BE ticket on the same flight. Can they get pre-assigned E+ seats if I add them on to my reservation now that they already bought the tickets?
Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
No seat assignments
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:37 am

Thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:42 am

The one thing you might be able to do is get them in preboard / BG1 with you, which would allow them to bring a full-size carry-on. I'd give it a 80% chance.

There is no way to "add them to your reservation" unfortunately.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:15 pm

Thanks. I guess tough luck for them. Told them not do BE, it was only a $30 difference in fare.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:27 pm

Sorry, similar question. I am GS, and fly BE once a month, and pretty much always get an E+ seat which shows up in my app about 2 days before (and even then I get an occasional "how'd you end up back here?" joke from the FAs.). I am flying BE with my daughter next month, who has no status. Will they courtesy assign us both E+ seats if available, or will they assign her to the back even though she's on the same booking? Also, will she be allowed a full sized carry on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.